Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Phil is offline

Default HDD Failure

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800, Osprey wrote:

OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western
Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than
'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does
not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but
not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has
anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics /
emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return
it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

If it's an electronics failure - buy another one and swap the board.
Desperate measure, I know.

Surely you will change the onboard bad sector mapping?
--
Phil