Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Woodburners and CO dectectors

I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that instalation
of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a woodburner is
installed.

Is it?

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire and if it
is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector to be part of the
interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that instalation
of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a woodburner is
installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire and if it
is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector to be part of the
interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which sounds
stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/4/2012 1:40 PM, Steve Firth wrote:
"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that instalation
of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a woodburner is
installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire and if it
is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector to be part of the
interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which sounds
stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

Not so stupid - woodburners are often used during power failures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that
instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when
a woodburner is installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a
rewire and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO
detector to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am
fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which
sounds stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

Not so stupid - woodburners are often used during power failures.

Most definitely not so stupid but Steve's link lead me to

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_J_wm.pdf

So a mains powered CO detector with battery back up is OK.

Reg 2.35.

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a little extra for
the mains powered with battery backup interlinked detector. The customer
might still see his arse when he see how much plaster fell from the wall
when I chiseled out for a double socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall
within 6 ft of the socket).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/12 18:30, ARW wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that instalation
of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a woodburner is
installed.

Is it?

wasn'mt in 2002 when mine went in

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire and if it
is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector to be part of the
interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

If its a small thing to add, add it.

Cheers

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 04/11/2012 19:25, ARW wrote:
The customer
might still see his arse when he see how much plaster fell from the wall
when I chiseled out for a double socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall
within 6 ft of the socket).

Does your contract not require you to 'make good'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 04/11/2012 19:25, ARW wrote:
The customer
might still see his arse when he see how much plaster fell from the
wall when I chiseled out for a double socket (ie most of the
plaster on the wall within 6 ft of the socket).

Does your contract not require you to 'make good'?

Contract? On this job?

He is a scouser and we shook hands - that's good enough for me. The deal was
he paid for the plasterer.

If he does not like it then he will get this in his inbox:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o5RBc4W8A0

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 2:25 PM, ARW wrote:

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a little
extra for the mains powered with battery backup interlinked
detector. The customer might still see his arse when he see how
much plaster fell from the wall when I chiseled out for a double
socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall within 6 ft of the
socket).

Eeek!

His "new" house has a big damp problem. Blown plaster everywhere and some
very odd extentions and additions. The garage is built on top of what I
believe is an air raid shelter.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/4/2012 2:57 PM, ARW wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 2:25 PM, ARW wrote:

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a little
extra for the mains powered with battery backup interlinked
detector. The customer might still see his arse when he see how
much plaster fell from the wall when I chiseled out for a double
socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall within 6 ft of the
socket).

Eeek!

His "new" house has a big damp problem. Blown plaster everywhere and some
very odd extentions and additions. The garage is built on top of what I
believe is an air raid shelter.

So you did him a favour, removing all that old plaster...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:40:28 +0000 (UTC)
Steve Firth wrote:

"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that
instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a
woodburner is installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire
and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector
to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which
sounds stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

I am not familiar at all with this, but:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You
cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 2:57 PM, ARW wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 2:25 PM, ARW wrote:

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a
little extra for the mains powered with battery backup
interlinked detector. The customer might still see his arse
when he see how much plaster fell from the wall when I chiseled
out for a double socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall
within 6 ft of the socket).
Eeek!

His "new" house has a big damp problem. Blown plaster everywhere
and some very odd extentions and additions. The garage is built on
top of what I believe is an air raid shelter.

So you did him a favour, removing all that old plaster...

Anyone removing the wallpaper would have done the same thing to the plaster.

The plaster is knackered and the wallpaper held it up.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012 20:26:51 +0000, Davey wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You
cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.

The sensor element of a CO detector has a limited life. If you could
replace the batteries people would and long after the sensor had died...

I think some CO detectors can also detect when the sensor has died but
they can also be "poisoned" by household chemicals, whether that can be
detected I don't know.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/4/2012 3:28 PM, ARW wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 2:57 PM, ARW wrote:
His "new" house has a big damp problem. Blown plaster everywhere
and some very odd extentions and additions. The garage is built on
top of what I believe is an air raid shelter.

So you did him a favour, removing all that old plaster...

Anyone removing the wallpaper would have done the same thing to the plaster.

The plaster is knackered and the wallpaper held it up.

I've had to deal with a few walls like that. Messy, and no fun at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that
instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a
woodburner is installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire
and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector
to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which
sounds stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

I am not familiar at all with this, but:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You
cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.

Yes that was the bit I found stupid, that and the implication that it could
only be battery. However Adam did a bit more work and resolved that one.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4-Nov-2012, "ARW" wrote:

Anyone removing the wallpaper would have done the same thing to the
plaster.

The plaster is knackered and the wallpaper held it up.

Yes, that's what I'd say as well :-)

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that
instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a
woodburner is installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire
and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector
to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which
sounds stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

I am not familiar at all with this, but:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You
cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.

It's because the world is full of morons who remove the batteries from
safety equipment in order to use them in other stuff. Personally, I think
the world is better off without such people, but the PTB appear to differ.
But as a result, we all suffer, because the sensible people have to
expend more time, effort and money to prevent the morons from killing
themselves.

The issue is probably more about protecting innocent bystanders.
You can bet that the idiot who removed the battery will not be at home when
the CO leak happens, and other occupants will be the ones to suffer.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-04, Davey wrote:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You
cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.

It's because the world is full of morons who remove the batteries from
safety equipment in order to use them in other stuff. Personally, I
think
the world is better off without such people, but the PTB appear to
differ.
But as a result, we all suffer, because the sensible people have to
expend more time, effort and money to prevent the morons from killing
themselves.

The issue is probably more about protecting innocent bystanders.
You can bet that the idiot who removed the battery will not be at home
when
the CO leak happens, and other occupants will be the ones to suffer.

Good point, although I don't actually have much of a problem with
eliminating
the moron's entire family. But I suppose there might be visitors in
the house (social workers, policemen, neighbours, drug dealers, etc.)

Also, skipping from another thread, it protects the devices from the
terminally confused who want a PP3 for their old transistor radio they've
had since the '60s.
Or turn it off because the noise keeps waking them up.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-11-04, Davey wrote:

[...]

Err, that was my point.

Well I thought you were advocating the elimination of the genetically stupid
rather than providing means to remove the aged and infirm.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aux ouput from smoke dectectors Mathew Newton UK diy 1 May 11th 11 12:01 PM
Aux ouput from smoke dectectors harry UK diy 0 May 10th 11 04:35 PM
woodburners lingalu Home Repair 3 August 12th 06 05:04 PM
Woodburners with boilers and rads Jeff Mowatt UK diy 3 February 6th 06 05:03 PM
Woodburners and dry lining 4-LOM UK diy 12 January 17th 04 12:06 PM