Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Woodburners and CO dectectors

S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/4/2012 1:40 PM, Steve Firth wrote:
"ARW" wrote:
I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that
instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when
a woodburner is installed.

Is it?

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a
rewire and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO
detector to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am
fitting.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which
sounds stupid.

http://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk...r_stoves.phtml

Not so stupid - woodburners are often used during power failures.

Most definitely not so stupid but Steve's link lead me to

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/AD_J_wm.pdf

So a mains powered CO detector with battery back up is OK.

Reg 2.35.

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a little extra for
the mains powered with battery backup interlinked detector. The customer
might still see his arse when he see how much plaster fell from the wall
when I chiseled out for a double socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall
within 6 ft of the socket).

--
Adam