Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3hr power cut thanks to some trees

In message , Michael
Kilpatrick writes
Yes, some idiot phoned someone up to say that they could see some power
cables arcing into the trees across the road from us.

So, a contractor was sent to hack the trees.

At ten to five in the evening.

For three hours. No power to the whole street.

As if the trees are going to grow more than another centimetre
overnight, or as if they had suddenly done so the night before?

I had to feed the boys by candlelight, and luckily we only need the gas hob.

Michael

I think I can better that one.

A few years back we were notified of a power outage (residential area)
from (IIRC) 1900 - 2200 (and it was that long). This was in December,
and it was during a cold snap. The distro company's helldesk couldn't
understand why this was a problem.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 22:41, Adrian wrote:
In message , Michael
Kilpatrick writes
Yes, some idiot phoned someone up to say that they could see some
power cables arcing into the trees across the road from us.

So, a contractor was sent to hack the trees.

At ten to five in the evening.

For three hours. No power to the whole street.

As if the trees are going to grow more than another centimetre
overnight, or as if they had suddenly done so the night before?

I had to feed the boys by candlelight, and luckily we only need the
gas hob.

Michael

I think I can better that one.

A few years back we were notified of a power outage (residential area)
from (IIRC) 1900 - 2200 (and it was that long).

You were notified? Lucky you.

I was busy typing an email in response to an email quote from a borehole
driller (see thread started by me a little earlier today) when my
computer was just switched off - a few seconds before I was going to hit
the send button...

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 18, 11:29*pm, Michael Kilpatrick
wrote:
[...]

Strewth, you are a whinger. You're lucky that's al you have to worry
about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 23:29, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
I was busy typing an email in response to an email quote from a borehole
driller (see thread started by me a little earlier today) when my
computer was just switched off - a few seconds before I was going to hit
the send button...

That what an uninterruptable power supply is for.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2012 22:41, Adrian wrote:
A few years back we were notified of a power outage (residential area)
from (IIRC) 1900 - 2200 (and it was that long). This was in December,
and it was during a cold snap. The distro company's helldesk couldn't
understand why this was a problem.

We have one pending to replace the poles. The outage is planned to be
08:30 to 16:30 and no reconnection if you are not in when they need to
do safety checks. It was supposed to be this week, but has been
postponed until I know not when. My guess is it will be either a very
cold day or one when I am away.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, October 19, 2012 1:25:25 PM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 18/10/2012 22:41, Adrian wrote:

A few years back we were notified of a power outage (residential area)
from (IIRC) 1900 - 2200 (and it was that long). This was in December,
and it was during a cold snap. The distro company's helldesk couldn't
understand why this was a problem.

We have one pending to replace the poles. The outage is planned to be
08:30 to 16:30 and no reconnection if you are not in when they need to
do safety checks. It was supposed to be this week, but has been
postponed until I know not when. My guess is it will be either a very
cold day or one when I am away.

What safety checks do they want to do? I've never known that happen when power is restored after an unplanned outage...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2012 13:19, Nightjar wrote:
On 18/10/2012 23:29, Michael Kilpatrick wrote:
I was busy typing an email in response to an email quote from a borehole
driller (see thread started by me a little earlier today) when my
computer was just switched off - a few seconds before I was going to hit
the send button...

That what an uninterruptable power supply is for.

Colin Bignell

Or, most of the time, a laptop. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 19, 5:19*pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 19/10/2012 16:20, wrote:

On Friday, October 19, 2012 1:25:25 PM UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 18/10/2012 22:41, Adrian wrote:

A few years back we were notified of a power outage (residential area)
from (IIRC) 1900 - 2200 (and it was that long). *This was in December,
and it was during a cold snap. *The distro company's helldesk couldn't
understand why this was a problem.

We have one pending to replace the poles. The outage is planned to be
08:30 to 16:30 and no reconnection if you are not in when they need to
do safety checks. It was supposed to be this week, but has been
postponed until I know not when. My guess is it will be either a very
cold day or one when I am away.

What safety checks do they want to do? I've never known that happen when power is restored after an unplanned outage...

They don't say. Perhaps they don't want to connect someone with a PV
feed in or a back up generator (which I am considering hiring) to a line
that is supposedly dead while their blokes are still working on it.

Colin Bignell

PV has an anti-islanding feature as would any back up generator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islanding
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2012 07:54, harry wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:19 pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 19/10/2012 16:20, wrote:

[...]

I'm not talking about a dedicate, wired in back-up generator, but
something I get from the local hire shop. In any case, I suspect they
would still want to check that any anti-islanding equipment was working
properly before starting work.

Colin Bignell

3hr power cut thanks to some trees Michael Kilpatrick[_2_] UK diy 38 October 20th 12 11:05 AM
3hr power cut thanks to some trees Andrew Gabriel UK diy 8 October 19th 12 01:24 PM
OT, Extremely Cool Way To Clear Trees Around Power Lines The Daring Dufas[_7_] Home Repair 14 May 31st 12 05:18 PM
Trees [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 29th 07 12:06 AM
Ever wonder where trees come from? Buddy Matlosz Woodworking 3 January 1st 05 01:30 PM