Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT, Extremely Cool Way To Clear Trees Around Power Lines

I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 02:18:37 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

cool! what could possibly go wrong?BSEG

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-05-30, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

Old hat. A similar rig was featured in The World Is Not Enough, a 13
yr old James Bond movie:

http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/twine99.html

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob_Villa" wrote in message
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that
cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

This is even more interesting..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEA...feature=fvwrel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint
the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a
person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 10:44:21 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint
the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a
person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Painting or sealing a fresh cut on a tree has been abandoned by
arborist. Trees can heal themselves as the bark grows back over the
cut.

Notice after storms when clean-up of trees is done, they are never
painted or sealed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint
the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a
person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Painting or sealing a fresh cut on a tree has been abandoned by
arborist. Trees can heal themselves as the bark grows back over the
cut.

Notice after storms when clean-up of trees is done, they are never
painted or sealed.

They found that painting the cuts with tar or paint actually delayed
healing, which is why the practice was abandoned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint
the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a
person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Painting or sealing a fresh cut on a tree has been abandoned by
arborist. Trees can heal themselves as the bark grows back over the
cut.

Notice after storms when clean-up of trees is done, they are never
painted or sealed.

They found that painting the cuts with tar or paint actually delayed
healing, which is why the practice was abandoned.

Used to be and recommenced that a branch be trimmed in a way that left
a stub (1/4 - 1/2") from the tree trunk. That also changed. It's
better to trim / cut a branch flush with the adjacent branch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 04:14:22 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

You have a point there. I've seen people crossing streets with cars
on them too. I've never take that risk, you can get killed doing
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had a summer job trimming trees once. Part of the job was to paint
the shiners to prevent bugs from infecting trees. Maybe they lower a
person with a paint can after removing the saw.

Painting or sealing a fresh cut on a tree has been abandoned by
arborist. Trees can heal themselves as the bark grows back over the
cut.

Notice after storms when clean-up of trees is done, they are never
painted or sealed.

They found that painting the cuts with tar or paint actually delayed
healing, which is why the practice was abandoned.

How would that apply, if at all, to underground roots.

My pine tree roots were lifting my sidewalk, so I lifted up a square
and cut out the roots that were under it. Should those have been
painted with tar or not? Or it doesn't matter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 7:14*am, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

How would you suggest they cut the limbs that are that far up...and
cut fours miles of limbs per day?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

You have a point there. *I've seen people crossing streets with cars
on them too. *I've never take that risk, you can get killed doing
that.

Cars are too heavy to carry!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 9:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 30, 7:14*am, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

How would you suggest they cut the limbs that are that far up...and
cut fours miles of limbs per day?

I didn't know it was my job to figure that out...I must have been
promoted without a check! How did they do it before?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 6:37*am, Bob_Villa wrote:
On May 30, 9:00*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 30, 7:14*am, Bob_Villa wrote:

On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:18:37 AM UTC-5, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I'd never seen it before but it makes a lot of sense. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW2UvW6xLP8

TDD

I would think the dangers out-weigh convenience here! Can you imagine that cutting the high-tension line? Or...people on the ground yelling WTF!

How would you suggest they cut the limbs that are that far up...and
cut fours miles of limbs per day?

I didn't know it was my job to figure that out...I must have been
promoted without a check! *How did they do it before?

Hey, I only asked because you had an opinion related to the "dangers
out-weighing the convenience".

I thought maybe you had some idea on a better way...well maybe not
better, but perhaps just safer.

My thoughts on having workers hike up into the trees and climb each
one to do the trimming is that it probably takes way too long and is
probably just as expensive.

From a safety perspective - and based on the videos of workers
climbing onto (and off of) the wire via helicopter - I think that the
pilots pretty much know what they are doing and the danger of cutting
a wire is pretty slim. It's had to tell from the video just how close
they are to the lines but I'm assuming that they are far enough away
that cutting them is not an issue.

However, when I watched the videos of the workers climbing out of the
helicopters and onto the wires, all I could think of was how little
wind it would take to push the aircraft into the wires or push it away
as a worker was transferring. I know that they are hooked on, but if a
sudden movment occurred just as they were reaching out to hook on,
things could go bad very quickly.

Those guys are way out my league! Last weekend I walked back and forth
across a railroad trestle in a state park. The bridge is 820 feet long
and 240 feet above the bottom of the gorge. While I glanced briefly
down into the gorge to see the waterfall, my eyes were mostly glued to
the metal walkway in front of me as I walked. The walk was sort of a
"present" to my son who had graduated from college that morning. He
wanted to cross, so I went with him, even though I am very afraid of
heights.

Ill. man killed trying to steal power lines Home Guy Home Repair 31 October 17th 11 09:59 PM
Help; power lines to house Mac[_5_] Home Repair 29 February 21st 09 07:46 PM
Buried power lines WDS Home Ownership 8 September 23rd 07 07:26 PM
How deep are power and gas lines normally? plasma800 Home Repair 14 November 24th 06 03:19 PM
Power Co. owned power lines Andy & Carol Home Repair 7 October 13th 05 02:26 AM