Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How important is it to earth a exterior halogen floodlight?

Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?
What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al Shahadie wrote:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?
What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

Not many as you are unlikely to touch a LIT floodlight up a wall BUT if
the thing does get a short to case on a damp wall it will trip your main
RCD anyway.

cable is cheap. Why take the risk?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

ONLY if its switched on, or it has a switch in the neutral AND its also
faulty.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

Doesn't adding a new external light where none existed before come under
Part P?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on
my house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a
long length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead
of the 3- core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of
inviting catastrophe?

No.

+1

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 17:49, Al Shahadie wrote:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?
What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

There really is no point is most electrical earthing. After all, most
appliances, switches, etc. don't become live and thereby threaten mortal
coil shuffling to anyone. The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be earthed.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 16/10/2012 17:49, Al Shahadie wrote:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting
catastrophe?
What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

There really is no point is most electrical earthing. After all, most
appliances, switches, etc. don't become live and thereby threaten mortal
coil shuffling to anyone. The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be
earthed.

If it's got a metal case, the case can become live if it isn't earthed.

If it's this one:-

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/120w...t-aldi-1321918

The case is metal.

I was considering buying one today, but as my existing floodlights
haven't been turned on since I moved in, I didn't bother. I don't even
know whether they work.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum wrote:
On 16/10/2012 17:49, Al Shahadie wrote:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting
catastrophe?
What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

There really is no point is most electrical earthing. After all, most
appliances, switches, etc. don't become live and thereby threaten mortal
coil shuffling to anyone. The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be
earthed.

Far too complicated for idiots.

Elfin Safety means earthing bits of plastic, bits of water pipe
connected by plastic, and just about anything that moves.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

ONLY if its switched on, or it has a switch in the neutral AND its also
faulty.

When an accident happens, there's pretty well always more than
one thing that's gone wrong. If you start by installing it
wrongly, then that's one less additional thing that has to go
wrong before it kills someone.

He hasn't yet asked if the switch goes in the live or neutral.
Given the first question, he may well not think to ask even if
he doesn't know.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 18:46, John Williamson wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on
my house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a
long length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead
of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting
catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

Doesn't adding a new external light where none existed before come under
Part P?

Not if on the outside of a house. A circuit that needed to cross a
garden to reach it would however be notifiable (should anyone actually care)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote in news:ae5m0hF8cneU1
@mid.individual.net:

If it's got a metal case, the case can become live if it isn't earthed.

Yes, it has a metal case.

I have at lest two interior domestic table lamps that don't have an earth,
despite the bulb holder (with integral switch), being made of bare metal! I
always feel slightly uneasy when switching thosne lamps on. Perhaps they
were made in days of yore when people were less cautious...

Thanks to all for the replies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 5:49:31 PM UTC+1, Al Shahadie wrote:
Hi,

I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my

house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long

length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-

core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting catastrophe?

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

Bad idea, live to earth leakage is quite common on outdoor electrics. Add to the list being presented to a judge if someone has an accident

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Al Shahadie
writes
John Williamson wrote in news:ae5m0hF8cneU1
:

If it's got a metal case, the case can become live if it isn't earthed.

Yes, it has a metal case.

I have at lest two interior domestic table lamps that don't have an earth,
despite the bulb holder (with integral switch), being made of bare metal! I
always feel slightly uneasy when switching thosne lamps on. Perhaps they
were made in days of yore when people were less cautious...

The general concept of electrical safety is that a single fault
shouldn't expose a user to danger.

In the case of a metal cased lamp designated as requiring an earth
(designed with an earth as a safety element), the insulation within the
lamp is insufficient on its own to ensure the safety of the user in the
event that it fails (a single fault). In this case the earth provides a
safe path for fault current, blowing the fuse or tripping the
overcurrent breaker for the circuit and leaving the lamp in a safe
condition.

In the case of a lamp, metal cased or otherwise not designated as
requiring an earth (designed to be safe without an earth), the
insulation within the lamp will be to a far higher standard. It will
either be made up of 2 separate layers[1], each of which would make the
lamp safe on its own (in case one fails) or it will be tested to an
especially high standard for 'reinforced' insulation which makes it
reasonable to expect that it will not fail in service.

In both cases a single fault in insulation will leave the lamp safe.

If you fail to fit an earth to a lamp that has been designed to use it
as a safety feature you are exposing anyone who might use that lamp in
the future to significant risk should a single, relatively simple, fault
occur.

[1] The source of the term 'double insulated'
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al Shahadie wrote:

Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on my
house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a long
length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting
catastrophe? What are the possible hazards of doing so?

TIA,

Is the fitting Class I (earthed)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...tzklasse_1.svg

or Class II (double insulated)
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ion_symbol.svg

If Class I, you MUST earth it - end of, not discussion.
I suspect it is Class I if the leaflet indicates 3 core.

Stop being a cheapskate and go and buy the correct cable, otherwise a few
years down the line, we will be reading "window cleaner electrocuted by DIY
fitted lamp, all DIY electrical work to be outlawed".

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , polygonum
escribió:

The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be earthed.

Which is exactly what they do.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2012 22:17, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , polygonum
escribió:

The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be earthed.

Which is exactly what they do.

No they don't. They require ones that COULD BECOME LIVE be earthed.

It seems quite feasible to me that the almost all things that could
become live actually do not.

Obviously the time machine required to identify those which are actually
going to become live adds to the costs...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
Hi,
I want to install a 120W halogen floodlight (with PIR), high up, on
my house. It's going to require a long length of cable. I do have a
long length of cable, but it's only 2-core. Can I use this (instead
of the 3-
core, indicated in the user leaflet), without fear of inviting
catastrophe?

No.

What are the possible hazards of doing so?

Being electrocuted at the top of the ladder, whilst changing the bulb?
(Even if not electrocuted, the jolt may well kill you when you fall off.)
Electrocuting a painter/windowcleaner/etc who happens to be working
near it.

ONLY if its switched on, or it has a switch in the neutral AND its also
faulty.

Which it may be if the lamp has blown without you realising.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2012 00:04, F Murtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Al Shahadie writes:
[...]

and especially so if its being switched by a PIR.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Al Shahadie" wrote in message
John Williamson wrote in
@mid.individual.net:

If it's got a metal case, the case can become live if it isn't earthed.

Yes, it has a metal case.

I have at lest two interior domestic table lamps that don't have an earth,
despite the bulb holder (with integral switch), being made of bare metal!
always feel slightly uneasy when switching thosne lamps on. Perhaps they
were made in days of yore when people were less cautious...

Thanks to all for the replies.

If a 2-core cable was already there and it was very difficult to replace
with 3-core, ensure that the line is RCD or RCBO protected and there is an
externally rated double pole isolation switch next to the light, so when
changing a bulb the light is clearly off. It is still naughty but the best
sort of naughtiness. The RCD or RCBO replace the protection of the earth to
a large extent.

As you have 2-core on the table lamps with metal fitting, ensure the
lighting circuit or sockets it is plugged into is RCD or RCB protected. And
replace the metal fittings with plastic. Also have the switch in-line with
the feed cable, so you are not touching any metal. An RCBO costs from £19 to
£35, but a simple straight change with an mcb at the Consumer Unit. Fitting
an RCD is more involved.

So, use 3-core and an RCD or RCB. And change the metal lamp fitting and fit
an in-line switch to the lamps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be
earthed.

Which is exactly what they do.

No they don't. They require ones that COULD BECOME LIVE be earthed.

It seems quite feasible to me that the almost all things that could become
live actually do not.

BUT COULD !!!!!!! When they do they could kill. Hence the earth safety
mechanism.

Only double insulated appliances require no earth. You see this on
hairdryers, some lamps, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Al Shahadie wrote:

[...]

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external socket
or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

The regulations could be changed to save a
fortune by only requiring the ones that are going to become live be
earthed.

Which is exactly what they do.

No they don't. They require ones that COULD BECOME LIVE be earthed.

It seems quite feasible to me that the almost all things that could
become live actually do not.

BUT COULD !!!!!!! When they do they could kill. Hence the earth safety
mechanism.

Only double insulated appliances require no earth. You see this on
hairdryers, some lamps, etc.

I was being facetious - but that seems to have escaped you.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

He normally wibbles on about plumbing disasters and how good his imaginary
Prius is.

He is however, completely unqualified to talk about anything electrical.

He's our resident loony - we like him, but don't make any life changing
decisions based on what he says ;-

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

This guy is an total know-it-all idiot. Sad but true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

This guy is an total know-it-all idiot. Sad but true.

Whereas this is you:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/imm.jpg

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an
external socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

This guy is an total know-it-all idiot. Sad but true.

Whereas this is you:

http://www.internode.co.uk/temp/imm.jpg

This proves you are an idiot.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , polygonum
writes

I was being facetious - but that seems to have escaped you.

I think life is one great big *whoosh* for Dribble.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2012 10:23, Doctor Drivel wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

If Class I, you MUST earth it - end of, not discussion.
I suspect it is Class I if the leaflet indicates 3 core.

Stop being a cheapskate and go and buy the correct cable, otherwise a few
years down the line, we will be reading "window cleaner electrocuted
by DIY
fitted lamp, all DIY electrical work to be outlawed".

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance

Do you suppose that you could stop repeating this inaccurate statement
as it has been demonstrated beyond any doubt that the factors that
trigger the requirement for RCD protection extend beyond just whether a
general purpose socket will be fed from the circuit?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2012 10:58, Doctor Drivel wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

This guy is an total know-it-all idiot. Sad but true.

I can imagine that looking up from your perspective, Tim must appear god
like. However I am sure that he would not claim to know it all, and also
rest assured, that with an open mind, and many years of careful study,
you too could could begin to approach his level of knowledge. So don't
put yourself down...

(unless it includes strong barbiturates that is, in which case, fill
your boots)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Tim Watts wrote:

Doctor Drivel wrote:

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance, but I would ensure it was.

OP: Do not take any advise from Drivel ^^

This guy is an total know-it-all idiot. Sad but true.

I can imagine

Do not imagine, you are from Essex, they don't do imagine in Essex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

If Class I, you MUST earth it - end of, not discussion.
I suspect it is Class I if the leaflet indicates 3 core.

Stop being a cheapskate and go and buy the correct cable, otherwise a
few
years down the line, we will be reading "window cleaner electrocuted
by DIY
fitted lamp, all DIY electrical work to be outlawed".

It does not need to be RCD or RCBO protected as it is not an external
socket or portable appliance

Do you suppose

This Essex Chav goes on Chav myth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:19:43 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/10/2012 10:58, Doctor Drivel wrote:

rest assured, that with an open mind, and many years of careful study,
you too could could begin to approach his level of knowledge. So don't

I very much doubt it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Al Shahadie wrote:

[...]

What makes you think that only external sockets (f)or portable appliances
need to be RCD protected?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:19:43 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/10/2012 10:58, Doctor Drivel wrote:

rest assured, that with an open mind, and many years of careful study,
you too could could begin to approach his level of knowledge. So don't

I very much doubt it

Dunno about being smart, because normally I'm pretty dense, but I will
challenge Drivel to a competition involving this:

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/detail.php?prodID=26

(Blair's Mega Death pepper sauce)

I'm rather getting into it...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2012 21:55, Tim Watts wrote:
wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:19:43 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/10/2012 10:58, Doctor Drivel wrote:

rest assured, that with an open mind, and many years of careful study,
you too could could begin to approach his level of knowledge. So don't

I very much doubt it

Dunno about being smart, because normally I'm pretty dense, but I will
challenge Drivel to a competition involving this:

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/detail.php?prodID=26

(Blair's Mega Death pepper sauce)

I'm rather getting into it...

That looks like fun... especially if it has a nice complex heat pattern ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 2:19:43 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/10/2012 10:58, Doctor Drivel wrote:

rest assured, that with an open mind, and many years of careful study,
you too could could begin to approach his level of knowledge. So don't

I very much doubt it

Dunno about being smart, because normally I'm pretty dense, but I will
challenge Drivel to a competition involving this:

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/detail.php?prodID=26

(Blair's Mega Death pepper sauce)

I'm rather getting into it...

That looks like fun... especially if it has a nice complex heat pattern ;-)

But this is getting silly :

http://www.hotsauceemporium.co.uk/detail.php?prodID=92

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Tim Watts
escribió:

(Blair's Mega Death pepper sauce)

I'm rather getting into it...

I don't envy you your morning constitutional. Rings of fire and all
that...

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

Dunno about being smart, because normally I'm pretty dense,

This is encouraging. Self awareness. Keep it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

That looks like fun.

Taking your Pit-Bull for a walk is fun as well in your Chav mind I suppose.

That Floodlight from Lidl PeterC UK diy 22 October 8th 11 11:22 AM
The important thing about travel in foreign lands is that it breaksthe speech habits and makes you blab less, and breaks the habitualspace-feeling because of different village plans and different landscapes. Itis less important that there are differe [email protected] Woodworking 2 March 5th 08 02:17 AM
Low energy floodlight? [email protected] UK diy 15 January 3rd 08 06:33 PM
Floodlight Kroma UK diy 20 November 12th 05 12:25 AM
CF Floodlight? [email protected] UK diy 4 August 30th 05 11:00 PM