Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wall-mounted TV and concealed wiring

I will soon be fitting a wall-mounted TV on a bracket; it will be
attached to a plastered brick wall about 18" above a to-be-built-in
cupboard. The cupboard will contain the mains socket, aerial socket,
cable TV box, home theatre setup and all other gubbins, and I want to
hide all cables in the wall for a clean look. No surface-mounted ducting
allowed!

I'm thinking the easiest way of achieving this would be to bury a fairly
substantial length of ducting in the brickwork/plaster, leading to
probably a socket box buried in the wall next to the TV mount, big
enough to allow flexes with the likes of an HDMI plug and kettle-type
plug to be drawn through; ie can easily be removed/replaced/upgraded as
and when in the future. Much easier than what I see as the only
alternative, ie organising permanently plastered in cables (mains and
video) terminating in proper sockets HDMI faceplates etc above and below
the counter top of the cupboard (especially as that would involve more
junctions in the signal cables feeding the TV.

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and bottom?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and bottom?

You can get faceplates with "brushes" to allow cables an connectors to
pass through easily

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/white-plastic-double-brush-face-plate.jpg

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/white-plastic-single-brush-face-plate.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:23:36 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Sounds right. The cables where you do already know what you need I'd bury them in the plaster outside the conduit, that way you get more total cable capacity for the future

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2012 15:47, Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and bottom?

You can get faceplates with "brushes" to allow cables an connectors to
pass through easily

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/white-plastic-double-brush-face-plate.jpg

http://www.av4home.co.uk/acatalog/white-plastic-single-brush-face-plate.jpg

Ooh - just the job - didn't know about those!

Cheers
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and bottom?

Yes, it's routine job. We use 25mm flexi, and terminate in the very deep
back boxes intended for cooker switches and shaver sockets. Check the
HDMI plugs will go through the conduit.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2012 20:22, Bill Wright wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and bottom?

Yes, it's routine job. We use 25mm flexi, and terminate in the very deep
back boxes intended for cooker switches and shaver sockets. Check the
HDMI plugs will go through the conduit.

Thanks. I've just been looking at 40x25mm mini trunking (ie burying it
in plaster) with a view to being able to fit a kettle plug through it
too. Looks like a bit of a bodge to mate up the back box with
sufficiently large conduit/ducting - I'm surprised there's apparently
not a more 'bespoke' solution available these days (especially given the
existence of the brush faceplates.

BTW while I'm at it, any recommendations for decent cantilever mounts
for a 42"(?) TV?!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I will soon be fitting a wall-mounted TV on a bracket; it will be
attached to a plastered brick wall about 18" above a to-be-built-in
cupboard. The cupboard will contain the mains socket, aerial socket,
cable TV box, home theatre setup and all other gubbins, and I want to
hide all cables in the wall for a clean look. No surface-mounted ducting
allowed!

No chance of bringing cables through the wall from whatever's on the other
side?

Also, if the area of wall concerned has furniture, eg tall cupboards on each
side of where the TV will be, you could put a false wall in front of the
cables and clamp mount, extending to each side enough to make it not too
obvious that the wall surface is an inch or too closer to the viewer than
the rest of that wall.

With a duct, I would fear that sooner or later I'd need more duct capacity.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2012 22:38, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Lobster wrote:

I will soon be fitting a wall-mounted TV on a bracket; it will be
attached to a plastered brick wall about 18" above a to-be-built-in
cupboard. The cupboard will contain the mains socket, aerial socket,
cable TV box, home theatre setup and all other gubbins, and I want to
hide all cables in the wall for a clean look. No surface-mounted ducting
allowed!

No chance of bringing cables through the wall from whatever's on the other
side?

Hmm, that's a thought: will have to chat with the next-door neighbour
and see whether they object

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

Hmm, that's a thought: will have to chat with the next-door neighbour
and see whether they object

David

I know a chap who drilled through a bedroom wall, having decided with no
evidence that it was external.
When he realised his mistake he decided to keep quiet, and made sure
that the customer paid cash.
In fact he had removed a tile from the wall of next door's shower. When
the customer phoned him the next day to say that the neighbour had been
round, fragments of tile in hand, he denied all knowledge. He just
brazened it out, and he got away with it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Lobster wrote:

Hmm, that's a thought: will have to chat with the next-door neighbour
and see whether they object
David

I know a chap who drilled through a bedroom wall, having decided with
no evidence that it was external.
When he realised his mistake he decided to keep quiet, and made sure
that the customer paid cash.
In fact he had removed a tile from the wall of next door's shower. When
the customer phoned him the next day to say that the neighbour had been
round, fragments of tile in hand, he denied all knowledge. He just
brazened it out, and he got away with it.

Bill

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm

I once drilled into a customers office from outside the building.
Unbeknown to me there was an antique oak desk on the other side of the
wall. No windows or other reference points to measure against and I was
a little out on the location. The long SDS bit seemed to be taking for
ever to get through, I only found out when the customer came running
around complaining. Fortunately he forgave me!
--
Bill
( A different one )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Hmm, that's a thought: will have to chat with the next-door neighbour
and see whether they object

David

I know a chap who drilled through a bedroom wall, having decided with no
evidence that it was external.
When he realised his mistake he decided to keep quiet, and made sure
that the customer paid cash.
In fact he had removed a tile from the wall of next door's shower. When
the customer phoned him the next day to say that the neighbour had been
round, fragments of tile in hand, he denied all knowledge. He just
brazened it out, and he got away with it.

my BIL tried to to fit a flush cooker box on the party wall. he was tapping
awya witha hammer and cold chisel when something moved rather suddenely.
The neighbours came round and said "would you take your brick out of our
bath."

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 23:50:33 +0100 Bill Wright wrote :
I know a chap who drilled through a bedroom wall, having decided with no
evidence that it was external.
When he realised his mistake he decided to keep quiet, and made sure
that the customer paid cash.
In fact he had removed a tile from the wall of next door's shower. When
the customer phoned him the next day to say that the neighbour had been
round, fragments of tile in hand, he denied all knowledge. He just
brazened it out, and he got away with it.

IN my BCO days someone doing a through room without consent cut a pocket in
the party wall for the beam, not realising that these once slum cottages
had half-brick party walls. Next door was not amused.

Similar thing would happen with a certain design of 1930s semis built on
the cheap with no bedroom fireplaces and siamesed flues. Remove your
chimney breast at ground floor level and you'd be looked down next door's
flue.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ooh - just the job - didn't know about those!

Cheers
David

Screwfix sell those also, I bought some a few weeks ago. Neat solution.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:23:48 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and
bottom?

Firstly I'd make sure that the bottom edge of the TV isn't going to be
much more than a couple of feet above floor level. I can't see how people
can comfortably watch a TV mounted like a picture half way up the wall
without getting a crick in the neck.

On the IEC mains connector I'd get a rewireable one and fit it to a
correct length bit of flex with a rewireable 13A plug on the other end.
Still may need a sizeable duct though depending on what needs to get to
the telly. It might just be mains and one HDMI but ours has mains,
ethernet, 1 Sat coax, 1 terrestial coax, SCART(PS2) and RGB(Wii).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2012 10:50, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:23:48 +0100, Lobster wrote:

Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and
bottom?

Firstly I'd make sure that the bottom edge of the TV isn't going to be
much more than a couple of feet above floor level. I can't see how people
can comfortably watch a TV mounted like a picture half way up the wall
without getting a crick in the neck.

I know what you mean - this one will probably end up a metre or so up;
which should be fine but no alternative location really. However you
wouldn't believe the aggro I've had convincing *all* other members of
the family, including SWMBO, that hanging it over the mantelpiece is a
Really Bad Idea...

On the IEC mains connector I'd get a rewireable one and fit it to a
correct length bit of flex with a rewireable 13A plug on the other end.
Still may need a sizeable duct though depending on what needs to get to
the telly. It might just be mains and one HDMI but ours has mains,
ethernet, 1 Sat coax, 1 terrestial coax, SCART(PS2) and RGB(Wii).

I'm going for buried 40x25mm minitrunking I reckon, coupled with a pair
of deep metal boxes, to which I'll have to take an angle grinder or
something in order to get suitable large entry ports. Still don't
understand why there isn't anything purpose-made for this!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 15, 10:58*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 15:23:48 +0100, Lobster wrote:
Anyone done anything similar, and have any comments or suggestions
(especially for suitable ducting and termination thereof top and
bottom?

Firstly I'd make sure that the bottom edge of the TV isn't going to be
much more than a couple of feet above floor level. I can't see how people
can comfortably watch a TV mounted like a picture half way up the wall
without getting a crick in the neck.

+1

On the IEC mains connector I'd get a rewireable one and fit it to a
correct length bit of flex with a rewireable 13A plug on the other end.

Only one end needs to be rewired, just adapt an existing flex.

MBQ