Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rero fit Double glazing in door

I installed an Alicante style hardwood front door which I got when they were
solid wood- not the chipboard cored type currently available. It is single
glazed and now that the nights are getting colder, condensation is becoming
an issue with senior management. It seems to have got worse since we had
cavity wall insulation fitted a year or two back.

I am investigating the feasibility of installing DG units and wondered if
anyone has attempted it. I see that current Alicante doors are available
with DG units so it should be possible. The existing rebate is 18mm and the
DG units available are 14mm thick which only leaves 4mm for putty and
beading which is not enough. I have a router and I thought about making a
deeper rebate but there is only 12mm to play with and could deepen it by
6mm. The top of the top row of glass fit into a channel rather than a rebate
which will require more care with the router but it should be possible.

I like my door and don't want to mess it up so any advice will be welcome.
Senior management is looking for an excuse to get a new DG (plastic) door.

Archie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 14:28, Archie wrote:
[...]

A "stepped" DG unit is the normal solution, but probably would have to
be made to measure
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
[...]

Wouldn't they look rather odd since the spacer would encroach into the
window opening and there are nine small panes in the door?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Archie" writes:
I installed an Alicante style hardwood front door which I got when they were
solid wood- not the chipboard cored type currently available. It is single
glazed and now that the nights are getting colder, condensation is becoming
an issue with senior management. It seems to have got worse since we had
cavity wall insulation fitted a year or two back.

I am investigating the feasibility of installing DG units and wondered if
anyone has attempted it. I see that current Alicante doors are available
with DG units so it should be possible. The existing rebate is 18mm and the
DG units available are 14mm thick which only leaves 4mm for putty and

14mm (4/6/4) is the thinnest available.

Another issue is that you should allow for the spacer bar
encroaching up to 12mm from the edge of the unit, and that
is likely to mean it will show around the edge if the frames
weren't designed with a suitable recess to hide it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Archie wrote:

I am investigating the feasibility of installing DG units and wondered if
anyone has attempted it. I see that current Alicante doors are available
with DG units so it should be possible. The existing rebate is 18mm and the
DG units available are 14mm thick which only leaves 4mm for putty and
beading which is not enough. I have a router and I thought about making a
deeper rebate but there is only 12mm to play with and could deepen it by
6mm. The top of the top row of glass fit into a channel rather than a rebate
which will require more care with the router but it should be possible.

Pilkington Spacia:

http://www.pilkington.com/products/b...pacia/home.htm

Dread to think how much it costs (but would be really interested :-) )
No idea if it's available in small single panes. Let us know if you find
it

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2012 19:59, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In ,
wrote:

[...]

4. What will it cost?

The price (£) is on application with a minimum area charge 0.3m² per
pane. For orders above 4m², and as an approximate guide the cost will
fall between £200 -£350m² depending upon volume, sizes and quantities.

Note - the smaller the order the more expensive the glass per m², as
small orders attract a disproportionate level of transport costs.

http://www.pilkington.com/Europe/UK+...pacia/faqs.htm

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:26:09 +0100, Archie wrote:

Wouldn't they look rather odd since the spacer would encroach into the
window opening and there are nine small panes in the door?

Make the sealed unit the size of the complete opening. Have grid spacer
bars fitted inside and glazing bars on the outside of the unit. Though I
expect you'd have fun getting/making the new glazing bars match the door.
I guess if you carefully removed the old ones cut them down and stuck
them (some how...) onto the sealed unit that would work.

Have you considered secondary glazing on the inside?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"D.M.Chapman" dmc@puffin. wrote in message
In article ,
Archie wrote:

[...]

Interesting product. The smallest size they do is 200x300mm so it is no good
for me - even if I could afford it.

Archie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archie wrote:

[...]

Maybe get 2 sheets of 3mm and epoxy some microspacers between them. Not vacuum or sealed, but affordable. But you can't really use that in an opening sash, going from 3mm to 6mm is too heavy.

If you've got the space you could take it a step further and use 3mm, 1mm, 3mm sheets for TG.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 14:28:37 +0100, "Archie" wrote:

[...]

These supply d/g units:
http://www.prestigewoodendoors.co.uk...nglazed-mandt/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 15:26:09 +0100, Archie wrote:

Wouldn't they look rather odd since the spacer would encroach into
the
window opening and there are nine small panes in the door?

Make the sealed unit the size of the complete opening. Have grid
spacer
bars fitted inside and glazing bars on the outside of the unit. Though
expect you'd have fun getting/making the new glazing bars match the
door.
I guess if you carefully removed the old ones cut them down and stuck
them (some how...) onto the sealed unit that would work.

Have you considered secondary glazing on the inside?

--
Cheers
Dave.

I hadn't considered secondary glazing. I am not sure how it could be
made to look OK on a hardwood door. A roll of plastic with double sided
tape or something more substantial. I wonder.

Archie

my double-glazing..... Gill Smith UK diy 3 October 18th 11 08:35 AM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 08:25 PM
Double Glazing - not the best ... CJB UK diy 2 December 23rd 07 12:13 AM
Double-glazing door locks easily defeated [email protected] UK diy 10 February 21st 06 10:50 AM
double glazing new door mp UK diy 2 May 6th 05 11:20 PM