Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double-glazing door locks easily defeated

A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

wrote:

A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

Someone told me a year or two back, they were the least secure of
doors. I forgot what he said about them in disbelief. So consider
anyone interested in using the information well and truly genned up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian B

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

Someone told me a year or two back, they were the least secure of
doors. I forgot what he said about them in disbelief. So consider
anyone interested in using the information well and truly genned up.

Urban Legend! It's always a friend of a friend that tells people but can
never say how it is done. Doors are easily opened with a sledgehammer or
thump from a heavy person. Most panels in doudle glazed doors are thin
plastic over polystyrene so can be kicked in with little effort. Failing
that, just drill the lock. The same as any door. Most smackheads/pot users
just smash a window instead to break in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Mungo wrote:
A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

Dunno if its still the case, but I was told recently that a simple
application of heat from a blowtorch can melt the plastic of a UPVC door
sufficient for a hand to reach in and work the mechanism. I'm not that
clued up on this to be able to concur or refute it.

Or you could simply smash the glass and walk through. Chavs seem to have
no problem getting into cars this way.

If you want a reasonably secure house you're into putting steel grills,
etc over every door and window.

--
*I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian B wrote:
Someone told me a year or two back, they were the least secure of
doors. I forgot what he said about them in disbelief. So consider
anyone interested in using the information well and truly genned up.

Urban Legend! It's always a friend of a friend that tells people but
can never say how it is done. Doors are easily opened with a
sledgehammer or thump from a heavy person. Most panels in doudle
glazed doors are thin plastic over polystyrene so can be kicked in with
little effort. Failing that, just drill the lock. The same as any
door. Most smackheads/pot users just smash a window instead to break
in.

Just have a walk round an estate in a high risk area. You'll find
substantial steel grills over windows and a secondary steel bar door.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

It appears to be typical newspaper reporting. Apparently, multi-point locks
that require the handle to be lifted to lock them can readily be broken.
However, that is not the same as being able to be broken into.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

nightjar wrote:

It appears to be typical newspaper reporting. Apparently, multi-point locks
that require the handle to be lifted to lock them can readily be broken.
However, that is not the same as being able to be broken into.

It's a damn good job that crooks don't have any foresight; otherwise
they would break a load of doors so they could have a choice of ajar
targets to come back to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

nightjar wrote:

It appears to be typical newspaper reporting. Apparently, multi-point
locks
that require the handle to be lifted to lock them can readily be broken.
However, that is not the same as being able to be broken into.

It's a damn good job that crooks don't have any foresight; otherwise
they would break a load of doors so they could have a choice of ajar
targets to come back to.

That rather depends on whether it is possible for the householder to open
the door after the lock has been broken.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

It appears to be typical newspaper reporting. Apparently, multi-point locks
that require the handle to be lifted to lock them can readily be broken.
However, that is not the same as being able to be broken into.

Well, I briefly scanned the article in question - don't have it now -
and IIRC the point was that whatever the 'trick' was, it enabled a
burglar to gain access, which to me implies 'broken into'.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

nightjar wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's a damn good job that crooks don't have any foresight; otherwise they would
break a load of doors so they could have a choice of ajar targets to come back to.

That rather depends on whether it is possible for the householder to open
the door after the lock has been broken.

You mean that rather than try to get the door open the householder will
merely resort to using an alternative door?

Count on it; there will be a number who will bodge the security
following the need to upgrade it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:47:21 GMT, "Ian B" wrote:

Urban Legend! It's always a friend of a friend that tells people but can
never say how it is done.

My late mother's front door was opened by a burglar. The lock engaged
3 bolt heads (Something like a mushroom) vertically into 3 tapered
sockets, at the top middle and bottom of the door. He just shoved a
screwdriver through the rubber seal near the lock and forced the bolt
head vertically out of it's socket. All 3 bolts were linked together
so they all released at the same time. FWIR each tapered socket was
retained by a single self tapping screw. :-(

DG