Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Default Double-glazing door locks easily defeated

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

A friend told me today that he'd read in the paper over the weekend
that somebody has worked out how to easily defeat all double glazing
door locks - the type where you lift the handle to activate the
shoot-bolts. Apparently the police have been informed and are looking
into it. Now it all sounds a bit simplistic to me, and could well be
over exaggerated, but does anybody know more about this story? Is it
true? Is it only certain manufacturers, products etc?

It appears to be typical newspaper reporting. Apparently, multi-point locks
that require the handle to be lifted to lock them can readily be broken.
However, that is not the same as being able to be broken into.

Well, I briefly scanned the article in question - don't have it now -
and IIRC the point was that whatever the 'trick' was, it enabled a
burglar to gain access, which to me implies 'broken into'.

David