mp

Default double glazing new door

Hi all.

We're getting new front and rear doors in upvc, with some glass. We've had
2 quotes from companies who came around the house (one was saf*style), each
door costing between £650 & &850.

The doors are nothing fancy (no intricate beveled glass or lots of coloured
glass). I was quite amazed at the prices (they did include fitting).

But whilst I was in near Trafford Park, M/cr I popped into a wholesale
glazing, upvc doors, windows etc and they could do doors (with the spec I
wanted - eg glass, strengthened with wood etc) for around £350 inc vat each,
but NO fitting. I give the measurements and they make to order.

I've read about FENSA as an important authority (much like ABTA for travel
agents) but was wondering about your opinions on the above and whether a
£350 door is just as good as a fitted £650 door?

Keen to know your thoughts.

Regards

Matt

OldBill

mp wrote:
Hi all.

We're getting new front and rear doors in upvc, with some glass. We've had
2 quotes from companies who came around the house (one was saf*style), each
door costing between £650 & &850.

The doors are nothing fancy (no intricate beveled glass or lots of coloured
glass). I was quite amazed at the prices (they did include fitting).

But whilst I was in near Trafford Park, M/cr I popped into a wholesale
glazing, upvc doors, windows etc and they could do doors (with the spec I
wanted - eg glass, strengthened with wood etc) for around £350 inc vat each,
but NO fitting. I give the measurements and they make to order.

I've read about FENSA as an important authority (much like ABTA for travel
agents) but was wondering about your opinions on the above and whether a
£350 door is just as good as a fitted £650 door?

Most likely, Saf** probably get them from the same place!
Cicero

"mp" wrote in message
[...]

I don't think you should put too much trust in 'Fensa'. My brief experience
of them is that they talk big but do nothing very much.

One Fensa registered company offered to supply doors (about £450 each) but
declined to fit them because they couldn't guarantee that the doors wouldn't
sag on their hinges. That attitude suggests to me that the quality of the
doors / hinges is suspect and probably no better for higher prices. Go for
the cheaper doors - if they fail you won't have lost too much!

Cic.