Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch ceramic hobs.

We have a Bosch ceramic hob with the halogen lamp thingys.
The other day a pan boileed over, it was a sugar/fruit solution
essentially.
So SWMBO is on to me to get the black burnt on mess off.
So I get the scraper, no effect.
So I try a whole range of solvents, no effect.
Finally it dawned on me. The mark was not raised, it was tiny
indentaions, the hot sugar solution had eaten into the hob. (looks
like some sort of glass).
I would never have believed it.
I imagine the indentations will now fill with carbon and cause local
overheating so accelerating the problem..
So, maybe don't buy Bosch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
We have a Bosch ceramic hob with the halogen lamp thingys.
The other day a pan boileed over, it was a sugar/fruit solution
essentially.
So SWMBO is on to me to get the black burnt on mess off.
So I get the scraper, no effect.
So I try a whole range of solvents, no effect.
Finally it dawned on me. The mark was not raised, it was tiny
indentaions, the hot sugar solution had eaten into the hob. (looks
like some sort of glass).
I would never have believed it.
I imagine the indentations will now fill with carbon and cause local
overheating so accelerating the problem..
So, maybe don't buy Bosch.

Perhaps the carbon revealed pre-existing pits.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Sep 2012 09:42:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

We have a ... ceramic hob

There's your problem, right there. Tear it out and get a proper hob.

What is a "proper hob"?

Electric rings
Electric hot plate
Halogen
Induction
Gas

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:02:44 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 26 Sep 2012 09:42:24 GMT, Huge wrote:

We have a ... ceramic hob

There's your problem, right there. Tear it out and get a proper hob.

What is a "proper hob"?

Electric rings Electric hot plate Halogen Induction Gas

Aga...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 01:44:37 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

We have a Bosch ceramic hob with the halogen lamp thingys.
The other day a pan boileed over, it was a sugar/fruit solution
essentially.
So SWMBO is on to me to get the black burnt on mess off.
So I get the scraper, no effect.
So I try a whole range of solvents, no effect.
Finally it dawned on me. The mark was not raised, it was tiny
indentaions, the hot sugar solution had eaten into the hob. (looks
like some sort of glass).

It's probably Ceran glass ,probably written on it in the corner
somewhere.
The effect from hot sugar on it is well known and is highly likely to
be mentioned in the manual for the cooker somewhere.
Scraping as you have already done is the recomendation and on the
market there are supposed to be cleaners that will leave a film and
fill in the indentations, but once a certain amount of damage has been
done you'll just have to live with it or get a replacement which won't
be cheap.

So, maybe don't buy Bosch.

It's used by many other brands as well.
http://www.schott.com/hometech/engli...er_service.pdf
will show you the ones to avoid but your choice is going to be
limited.

http://www.schott.com/hometech/engli...g=english#care
May be of interest.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

http://www.schott.com/hometech/engli...ervice/faq.htm...
May be of interest.

G.Harman

*
*
Hah. Found this on your link.

What happens if sugar or sugary foods come into contact with the
CERAN® cooktop?

Hot sugar caramelizes at a temperature of 200°C. When it cools off,
the sticky caramel contracts. This is not the case with glass-ceramic
which, due to its special composition, neither contracts nor expands.
Removing the cooled caramel can leave very small surface defects, so-
called "sugar chipping," on the cooktop.

Handled properly, sugar should not pose a problem to the CERAN®
cooktop. The sugar should be removed directly with a cleaning scraper.

Induction Hobs polygonum UK diy 42 December 6th 11 08:05 PM
Gas hobs on propane Andrew Mawson UK diy 3 January 17th 11 09:53 PM
induction hobs Dave UK diy 47 July 31st 08 06:55 PM
Hobs question Owain UK diy 0 November 24th 04 09:17 PM
Built in Gas Hobs Pete UK diy 8 December 27th 03 03:01 PM