Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Secure nuts - are there such things?

I have some solar panels secured to the roof of our boat by lengths of
studding in tapped holes in the boat roof. Is there any 'clever' way
I can make it difficult to remove the nuts holding the panels to the
studs? E.g.is there any sort of 'security nut' akin to a security
bolt that needs a special spanner to undo it?

Things akin to car road wheel studs which need special spanners won't
work very well as I don't really have easy access to the 'end' of the
nuts as it were.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well there is Drivel and dennis. And Farmer Giles

We THINK they are secure.

Visiting hours are wendesday afternoons...

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:40:27 +0100, Bill wrote:

If it is to stop theft then use studding with a left handed thread,
that should thwart 99% of petty tea leaves.

He he, it probably would as well.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 01:51:54 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

Locktite?

On it's own it's not that good, even the ones that are supposed to be
unremoveable. Now an "unremoveable" thread sealing compound and a LH
thread...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:40:27 +0100, Bill wrote:

If it is to stop theft then use studding with a left handed thread,
that should thwart 99% of petty tea leaves.

He he, it probably would as well.

Se where do I buy stainless studding and nuts with LH thread?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Sep 2012 22:07:53 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

On Sat,

You can get security nuts where the ends shear off when you tighten
them.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scre...0/sd920/p58410

They can be removed - but only with considerable difficulty.

These we use for palisade fencing, our fitter also has a tool that
unscrews the cone ;-)

It is also used to remove locking wheel nuts.

AJH