Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BT Versatility problem

I originally posted this on UK.telecom but have had no response so far
so thought I would try here.

I have a BT versatility at home which has been working fine for 5 years
or more. It has x2 black analogue modules, x1 blue answerphone module
and an 8 extension expansion module.

The problem is that extensions 26 and 27 cannot be rung. From a POTS
internal phone you get the steady number unavailable tone. From a
systemphone the name of of called extension briefly shows then the
message "Extension has gone". I cannot find that message documented.
The same happens whether the extension phones are plugged in or not and
even if the wiring is removed from the connector on the main unit.
Normal behaviour with empty terminals is that the extension appears to
ring from the calling party's perspective. So I think it is something
in the main unit.

It has been warm and cold booted but problem still present.

You can still ring out from extensions 26 and 27 to internal or external
numbers, even though you cannot ring into them.

When power is cut to the switch, then in fallback mode external line 1
is meant to be connected to extension 26. That still works.

When you make ext 26 or 27 part of a ring group then they cause ringing
of that group to fail.

I have had a look and cannot see any bits of wire shorting out any
terminals or pcb tracks, but might have missed something.

The only significant event I can think of that might be relevant is a
thunderstorm about a month ago. I suspect the problem might date from
then as I did have to reboot the switch at the time, but have only just
noticed this problem with these 2 extensions.

Anyone any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
BruceB wrote:

[...]

idon't know that system, but I do have a similar, but smaller, SW Bell
system. It is possible, on that one to disable ringing on an extension by
(on mine) keying 72 from the relevant extension. I've done it by accident
when forgetting to key a 9 in front of a local number (beginning 72). Your
system might have a similar feature.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18