Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Making a 3 legged garden table

I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged
tripod type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has
done a poor job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level.
My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints
where the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy.
Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where
the legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2012 20:21, ss wrote:
I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged
tripod type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has
done a poor job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level.
My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints
where the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy.
Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where
the legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.

The simplest arrangement would be three straight legs that are somehow
tied together at something close to their midpoints, and then fanned out
wigwam style. The bits from the join down providing the legs, then upper
section up the table support.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2012 20:21, ss wrote:
I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged
tripod type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has
done a poor job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level.
My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints
where the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy.
Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where
the legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.

Simply make a four legged table & cut one leg off.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss presented the following explanation :
I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged tripod
type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has done a poor
job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level.
My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints where
the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy.
Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where the
legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.

Could you not fit adjusters to the bottoms of the legs, if it is going
to be rigid?

I made up a pub style table & bench unit a few weeks. That has four
legs and it is on an less than even surface. They are no so rigid end
to end and it's own weight makes it twist slightly so as to always sit
with all four feet in good contact. Maybe you could design one pair of
the legs so they could pivot, to accommodate unevenness?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/08/2012 13:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I may just go for a 3 legged straight legs in the end, This is more
than `less than even` surface as height of some of the slabs differ by
as much as 2 inches and it will be next year before I have the time to
relay them properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss formulated the question :
I may just go for a 3 legged straight legs in the end, This is more than
`less than even` surface as height of some of the slabs differ by as much as
2 inches and it will be next year before I have the time to relay them
properly.

No ordinary table will cope with 2" difference in level without lots of
help.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
ss formulated the question :
I may just go for a 3 legged straight legs in the end, This is more than
`less than even` surface as height of some of the slabs differ by as much
as 2 inches and it will be next year before I have the time to relay them
properly.

No ordinary table will cope with 2" difference in level without lots of
help.

Sounds like it needs a gimbal and a lump of concrete at the bottom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 8:21*pm, ss wrote:
I could esily build a 4 legged one but prefer the look of a 3 legged
tripod type layout of the legs apart from that the previous owner has
done a poor job of laying slabs so a 4 legged would never be level.
My problem is that anything I have looked appears complicated joints
where the legs meet and may be beyond me for accuracy.
Is there a simpler arrangement for constructing a 3 legged table where
the legs angle out from a central point.

Any ideas welcome.

Very easy, if you use very thick round legs you simply screw the
slatted top to them. Simples. Perfect application for unchopped
firewood.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/08/2012 19:40, NT wrote:
Very easy, if you use very thick round legs you simply screw the
slatted top to them. Simples. Perfect application for unchopped
firewood.

I am not grasping it NT. What I want to do is an X type layout for the
legs but with 3 legs, I understand the screwing table top to the legs
but it is the `joint` where the three legs meet that is the issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:36:17 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 26/08/2012 19:40, NT wrote:

Very easy, if you use very thick round legs you simply screw the

slatted top to them. Simples. Perfect application for unchopped

firewood.

I am not grasping it NT. What I want to do is an X type layout for the

legs but with 3 legs, I understand the screwing table top to the legs

but it is the `joint` where the three legs meet that is the issue.

What you are looking for is known as a cricket table. Google that for some ideas. I made one last year. It was a nightmare to layout and cut the joints. Wasn't worth the effort.