Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter

On Monday, 22 October 2018 21:15:27 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

No conductance is differnt.

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/c/water...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Andy

Someone from physics asked me if we had a resastivity meter.
We don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2018 11:21, whisky-dave wrote:
No conductance is differnt.

https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/c/water...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

fx follows link

"Conductivity Resolution : 0.01, 0.1, or 1 μS; 0.01, or 0.1 mS"

It's measure in seconds?

Oh. Capital S not little s. I didn't know that. Nor do most of my
colleagues I think.

And given the hint from Mr Burns I go to Wonkypedia and find

"The siemens (symbol: S) is the derived unit of electric conductance,
electric susceptance and electric admittance in the International System
of Units (SI). Conductance, susceptance, and admittance are the
reciprocals of resistance, reactance, and impedance respectively; hence
one siemens is redundantly equal to the reciprocal of one ohm, and is
also referred to as the mho. The 14th General Conference on Weights and
Measures approved the addition of the siemens as a derived unit in 1971."

I stand by what I said. Conductance is resistance's other hat.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

I stand by what I said. Conductance is resistance's other hat.

yep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

Andy

I may be ignorant, but I've never seen a multimeter with an inductance
scale. You can get little meters with inductance scales for component
measurement, but they're not usually multimeters as well.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:

I may be ignorant, but I've never seen a multimeter with an inductance
scale. You can get little meters with inductance scales for component
measurement, but they're not usually multimeters as well.

I occasionally oggle these, difficult to justify for the rare uses the
extra features would get, in some reviews they compare well to Flukes

https://www.telonic.co.uk/Brymen-BM867s-Multimeter-p/bm867s.htm

Hmmm ... twin thermocouples with delta display ... I suppose I could
balance my rads with one ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2018 09:47, Roger Hayter wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

Andy

I may be ignorant, but I've never seen a multimeter with an inductance
scale. You can get little meters with inductance scales for component
measurement, but they're not usually multimeters as well.

It isn't uncommon for multimeters these days to have a capacitance scale
but I agree inductance is usually absent. They also often have a diode
and transistor testing option too. Most chipsets support it but it is up
to the maker to decide what functions they offer to the outside world.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 10:04:13 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Hayter wrote:

I may be ignorant, but I've never seen a multimeter with an inductance
scale. You can get little meters with inductance scales for component
measurement, but they're not usually multimeters as well.

I occasionally oggle these, difficult to justify for the rare uses the
extra features would get, in some reviews they compare well to Flukes

https://www.telonic.co.uk/Brymen-BM867s-Multimeter-p/bm867s.htm

Hmmm ... twin thermocouples with delta display ... I suppose I could
balance my rads with one ...

Get yourself a £12 China special componen tester. Does most components, identifies pinout & gives secondary info too eg ESR.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency,
conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

Andy

I may be ignorant, but I've never seen a multimeter with an inductance
scale.Â* You can get little meters with inductance scales for component
measurement, but they're not usually multimeters as well.

It isn't uncommon for multimeters these days to have a capacitance scale
but I agree inductance is usually absent. They also often have a diode
and transistor testing option too. Most chipsets support it but it is up
to the maker to decide what functions they offer to the outside world.

It often seems to be the case that the quality makes will concentrate on
meters that do the basics well, and eschew more exotic measurement
ranges, and then the others compete by throwing in everything but the
kitchen sink!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd like some with that option then I wouldn't have to visit the toilets to fill up the water bottles for the soldering iron sponges :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/2018 10:33, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like some with that option then I wouldn't have to visit the toilets to fill up the water bottles for the soldering iron sponges :-)

You could avoid even more visits to the toilets if you can argue
persuasively that urine is a "green" tip cleaner

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 11:44:07 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 25/10/2018 10:33, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like some with that option then I wouldn't have to visit the toilets to fill up the water bottles for the soldering iron sponges :-)

You could avoid even more visits to the toilets if you can argue
persuasively that urine is a "green" tip cleaner

Now that is taking the **** :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 11:44:03 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 25/10/2018 10:33, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like some with that option then I wouldn't have to visit the
toilets to fill up the water bottles for the soldering iron sponges :-)

You could avoid even more visits to the toilets if you can argue
persuasively that urine is a "green" tip cleaner

It would have to be a *very* persuasive argument to explain why the
workshop smells like a pub gents' toilet. :-)

Also, not so much a 'green' as a 'yellow' 'solution'.

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 11:44:03 +0100, Robin wrote:

On 25/10/2018 10:33, whisky-dave wrote:

I'd like some with that option then I wouldn't have to visit the
toilets to fill up the water bottles for the soldering iron sponges :-)

You could avoid even more visits to the toilets if you can argue
persuasively that urine is a "green" tip cleaner

It would have to be a *very* persuasive argument to explain why the
workshop smells like a pub gents' toilet. :-)

Also, not so much a 'green' as a 'yellow' 'solution'.

I just found out it recently is JEYES FLUID that makes gents toilets smell
like gents toilets ...

Multimeter Helen Deborah Vecht UK diy 4 October 16th 06 03:45 PM
Multimeter Codswallop UK diy 0 October 15th 06 04:25 PM
multimeter bubba Home Repair 8 April 28th 05 04:24 PM
FS: AN/PSM-37 multimeter/ME-418 Cowboy67 Electronics 0 January 24th 04 12:50 AM
multimeter Patt Home Repair 7 December 21st 03 01:54 PM