Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote on Aug 25, 2012:

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
I bought a Fluke 25 years ago and I've never regretted it. It works as
well now as the day I bought it. It's auto-ranging and virtually
indestructible - I could put it across the mains in any range and it
would merely switch to an appropriate range,

Even if setup to measure current? Now that would be useful...

The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage plus
resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

That's all I normally need - if I ever do want to
measure current I use an even older Avo 8.

I doubt I could be bothered since most DVMs (and my Fluke) measure current
too.

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:48:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
NT wrote:
You can see that on a low resolution display. Only thing you can't do
is read a figure accurately. And autoranging would get round the
second part.

Autoranging doesn't enable a 1A meter to read 10A. Analogues can - not
accurately, but enough to tell what state a battery's in.

No - but it allows a 10 amp one to read 1 amp, if that's in the spec.

I've not found anything my AVO8 can do that my Fluke can't. However, the
Fluke can do lots not even thought of or more likely possible when the 8
was designed.

Can it do ESR and "count" frequency?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 10:52*pm, Part Timer wrote:
I take it that you wouldn't connect an ammeter in
parallel or anything daft like that?

No, I've got a teenager doing A level physics for that!

(Fluke fuses are over a tenner a pop)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 10:45*pm, gremlin_95 wrote:
I am looking to buy myself a Multimeter, not that I need one but it's
just something I want to learn to use, could come in handy some day!

Get several. Upgrade as you need new features. Start cheap. Finish
with a Fluke (about 25-30 S/H on eBay)

Do try to get one with real sockets and a decent set of cables though.
It's very useful to have both prods and croc clips easily available.

A while back I bought myself enough of megger to do PAT testing with.
No idea why I bought this, as it cost 30-40 eBay quid and I already
have a stupidly expensive Kewtech tester of everything (with cal
papers too). However I now use this for pretty much all of my bench &
DIY electrics. Does voltage and moderately low resistance too, which
is 99% of everything I ever use a DVM for. As it also proves out scrap
washing motors etc as vaguely safe or provably hazardous, it was money
well spent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on Aug 26, 2012:

Mike Lane wrote:
I bought a Fluke 25 years ago and I've never regretted it. It works as
well now as the day I bought it. It's auto-ranging and virtually
indestructible - I could put it across the mains in any range and it
would merely switch to an appropriate range,

Even if setup to measure current? Now that would be useful...

The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage plus
resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

http://tinyurl.com/9ngomqh

Discontinued now I believe.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage
plus resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

http://tinyurl.com/9ngomqh

Discontinued now I believe.

I'd guess.

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
I've not found anything my AVO8 can do that my Fluke can't. However, the
Fluke can do lots not even thought of or more likely possible when the 8
was designed.

Can it do ESR and "count" frequency?

It does frequency, yes. I have a separate ESR meter. I'd admit to not
having seen an ESR function on a DVM, although I suppose it is possible.

--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , charles
escribió:

i bought a Fluke about that time. regrettably the display has become
impossible to read.

It's the rubberised 'zebra stripe' connector between the LCD and the
PCB. Take it out, clean the edges *very* gently with IPA, and
reassemble. Do not get finger oils on it.

The black bits are the conductors and the connection is made via
compression to pads on the PCB and LCD.

If you can't get IPA, would any best bitter do?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2012 01:07, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 24, 10:52 pm, Part Timer wrote:
I take it that you wouldn't connect an ammeter in
parallel or anything daft like that?

No, I've got a teenager doing A level physics for that!

(Fluke fuses are over a tenner a pop)

Once another form at school (GCSE chemistry) were doing a practical
where they were coating keys etc in copper by electrolysis. The
instructions they followed were by a teacher without a clue how to
measure current. Cue 28 fuses needing replacement! I think they were the
ordinary glass type, but it still took a physics teacher and technician
ages to change them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on Aug 27, 2012:

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage
plus resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

http://tinyurl.com/9ngomqh

Discontinued now I believe.

I'd guess.

The current replacement, Fluke 114 "Electricians¹s Multimeter" also does not
have current ranges BTW.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes

Mike Lane wrote:
The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage
plus resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

http://tinyurl.com/9ngomqh

Discontinued now I believe.

I'd guess.

The current replacement, Fluke 114 "Electricians¹s Multimeter" also does not
have current ranges BTW.

Was that pun deliberate?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , David WE Roberts
escribió:

If you can't get IPA, would any best bitter do?

There's two sorts of IPA. One is eminently quaffable, the other isn't.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Mike Lane wrote:
Discontinued now I believe.

I'd guess.

The current replacement, Fluke 114 "Electricians¹s Multimeter" also does
not have current ranges BTW.

Quite. Why would an electrician ever need to measure current? ;-)

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:51:12 AM UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:34:53 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Go for an analogue one not a digital one as these can show intermittent

and varying resistance faults far easier than digital ones do.

I knew there was a use for the AVO 8!

Oh so it's not realy made for use as a door stop, but it works so well .....

--

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, August 27, 2012 11:13:47 PM UTC+1, Part timer wrote:
On 27/08/2012 01:07, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 24, 10:52 pm, Part Timer wrote:

I take it that you wouldn't connect an ammeter in

parallel or anything daft like that?

No, I've got a teenager doing A level physics for that!

(Fluke fuses are over a tenner a pop)

Once another form at school (GCSE chemistry) were doing a practical

where they were coating keys etc in copper by electrolysis. The

instructions they followed were by a teacher without a clue how to

measure current. Cue 28 fuses needing replacement! I think they were the

ordinary glass type, but it still took a physics teacher and technician

ages to change them.

I've had that, last year I replaced something like 25 20mm 250ma fuses in our stock DMMs. £11
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...5-ac5fa695973b

The problem is the lab sheet says mearure the current coming from the power suply so a lot of students connect the DMM in ameter mode across the PSU terminals, Obviously they don't get a shock, until I hit them for doing it ;-)

But my prefered cheap meter is....£18
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...ltimeter-31051

This has an included thermocouple for measuring temerature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 28, 12:21*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

Doesn't matter. Multimeter fuses are super-fast. One reason they're so
expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:35:51 PM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:21*pm, Tim Streater wrote:

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

Doesn't matter. Multimeter fuses are super-fast. One reason they're so

expensive.

I don't think that's true, certainly the ones I've used aren't super fast in fact They might be more expensive becuase of supply and demand.
The fuses I've used to replace the ones in the 328 meter
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...ltimeter-31051

are about 20p each
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...1-644255f82c5f

maybe the fluke branded ones are more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
The problem is the lab sheet says mearure the current coming from the
power suply so a lot of students connect the DMM in ameter mode
across the PSU terminals, Obviously they don't get a shock, until I
hit them for doing it ;-)

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

IMHO it would be impossible/too expensive to provide a resetable breaker
that acts fast enough to protect solid state devices. Hence the very
expensive fuses - I've no idea how they work.

--
*If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:21:00 PM UTC+1, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave wrote:

I've had that, last year I replaced something like 25 20mm 250ma fuses in

our stock DMMs. £11

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...meter-31050/?s

id=74392787-ecc1-4318-b945-ac5fa695973b

The problem is the lab sheet says mearure the current coming from the power

suply so a lot of students connect the DMM in ameter mode across the PSU

terminals, Obviously they don't get a shock, until I hit them for doing it

;-)

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

No. You're probbaly thinking of cutouts which are slow acting.

2) Haven't these kids had a lesson before they get their mitts on the

kit?

well sort of, most have had perhaps 10 years at school, most should have done physics to GSCE or A-Level before they even come to univ.

Doesn't Teacher go through where you'd measure current as opposed

to voltage?

No. the teachers here are lecturers their job appears to be pointing at a whiteboard controlled from their labtop then telling them to printout a 100 power point slides.

Part of the idea of doing a practical lab is to learn stuff by experiment.
You;d have thought parent could teach their kids how to sit on stalls/chairs quietly and attentively while the teacher or lecturer speaks too.

--

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:35:51 PM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:21 pm, Tim Streater wrote:

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

Doesn't matter. Multimeter fuses are super-fast. One reason they're so

expensive.

I don't think that's true, certainly the ones I've used aren't super
fast in fact They might be more expensive becuase of supply and demand.
The fuses I've used to replace the ones in the 328 meter
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...ltimeter-31051

are about 20p each
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...1-644255f82c5f

maybe the fluke branded ones are more expensive.

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects
the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:46:49 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:35:51 PM UTC+1, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Aug 28, 12:21 pm, Tim Streater wrote:

1) don't these things have popup breakers rather than fuses?

Doesn't matter. Multimeter fuses are super-fast. One reason they're so

expensive.

I don't think that's true, certainly the ones I've used aren't super

fast in fact They might be more expensive becuase of supply and demand.

The fuses I've used to replace the ones in the 328 meter

http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equ...ltimeter-31051

are about 20p each

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...1-644255f82c5f

maybe the fluke branded ones are more expensive.

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects

the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

True, I've had a total of 89, 318 & 328 over the last few years only 3 have gone faulty so that's not too bad, not sure we'd have done better buying 90 odd flukes we certainly found it easier to replace the cheap meters.

Looking at fuses

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/11088...bar&adtype=pla
99p each

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrica...c-Fuse-26-5694
33p each

Not sure how much a geniuine fluke fuse would cost maybe adda zero on the end

--

*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote on Aug 28, 2012:

In message . com, Mike
Lane writes

Mike Lane wrote:
The model I have doesn't have current ranges - just AC/DC voltage
plus resistance and capacitance.

Right. Never seen a Fluke like that.

http://tinyurl.com/9ngomqh

Discontinued now I believe.

I'd guess.

The current replacement, Fluke 114 "Electricians¹s Multimeter" also does not
have current ranges BTW.

Was that pun deliberate?

Err - no, I don't actually find puns amusing in the slightest. Just poor
proof-reading.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2012 09:20, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

One is eminently quaffable,

Not if it's brewed by Greene King

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
escribió:

If you can't get IPA, would any best bitter do?

There's two sorts of IPA. One is eminently quaffable, the other isn't.

Well, actually, IPA is the only other alcohol that is not poisonous

(as opposed to Tetleys, which is)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 18:39:14 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
escribió:

If you can't get IPA, would any best bitter do?

There's two sorts of IPA. One is eminently quaffable, the other isn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects
the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

Standard 20 mm fuses are only rated at 250 V with a breaking capacity of
35 A (glass type) or 1.5 kA for the ceramic HBC types.

The fuses fitted in multimeters with Cat III/IV safety ratings have much
higher voltage and breaking capacities. Taking the Fluke 77-4 meter as
an example, the 440 mA fuse is rated to break 10 kA at 1 kV and the 11 A
fuse for the highest current range will handle 20 kA at 1 kV.

If you use your multimeter in your consumer unit or with a big battery
bank, or anywhere else where high prospective short-circuit fault levels
are present, the cost of the correct fuses isn't much to pay to avoid
any risk of the test leads suddenly vapourising in front of your face.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 11:45, Andy Wade wrote:

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects
the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

Standard 20 mm fuses are only rated at 250 V with a breaking capacity of
35 A (glass type) or 1.5 kA for the ceramic HBC types.

The fuses fitted in multimeters with Cat III/IV safety ratings have much
higher voltage and breaking capacities. Taking the Fluke 77-4 meter as
an example, the 440 mA fuse is rated to break 10 kA at 1 kV and the 11 A
fuse for the highest current range will handle 20 kA at 1 kV.

If you use your multimeter in your consumer unit or with a big battery
bank, or anywhere else where high prospective short-circuit fault levels
are present, the cost of the correct fuses isn't much to pay to avoid
any risk of the test leads suddenly vapourising in front of your face.

Indeed. Regular readers may recall that report from the shopping mall
where a meter with inappropriate protection was used on a distribution
board... a mains transient caused a breakdown in the DVM which triggered
a major arc flash event - killing the operator and a bystander IIRC.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:01:56 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/08/2012 11:45, Andy Wade wrote:

My Maplin meter uses standard 20mm fast blow. But whether this protects

the meter as well as the Fluke type from a massive overload, who knows?

Standard 20 mm fuses are only rated at 250 V with a breaking capacity of

35 A (glass type) or 1.5 kA for the ceramic HBC types.

The fuses fitted in multimeters with Cat III/IV safety ratings have much

higher voltage and breaking capacities. Taking the Fluke 77-4 meter as

an example, the 440 mA fuse is rated to break 10 kA at 1 kV and the 11 A

fuse for the highest current range will handle 20 kA at 1 kV.

So not really essential for a DIYer

If you use your multimeter in your consumer unit or with a big battery

bank, or anywhere else where high prospective short-circuit fault levels

are present, the cost of the correct fuses isn't much to pay to avoid

any risk of the test leads suddenly vapourising in front of your face.

Indeed. Regular readers may recall that report from the shopping mall

where a meter with inappropriate protection was used on a distribution

board... a mains transient caused a breakdown in the DVM which triggered

a major arc flash event - killing the operator and a bystander IIRC.

Maybe that's the differnce bewtween pro and hobby meters.
I don;t remmebr the above incident.

--

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2012 14:15, whisky-dave wrote:

Indeed. Regular readers may recall that report from the shopping mall

where a meter with inappropriate protection was used on a distribution

board... a mains transient caused a breakdown in the DVM which triggered

a major arc flash event - killing the operator and a bystander IIRC.

Maybe that's the differnce bewtween pro and hobby meters.
I don;t remmebr the above incident.

I think this was the one:

http://ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 3:45:32 AM UTC+6, gremlin_95 wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking to buy myself a Multimeter, not that I need one but it's
just something I want to learn to use, could come in handy some day! I
look after 2 fairly modern boilers so it could prove useful if one ever
develops a fault.

So my questions are, how hard is it to learn to use one? And are there
any which should be avoided?

--
David

Hi,

It's great that you want to learn something new. I hope this adds some value to you. It's a guide for "Choosing the Best Multimeter."

https://multimeterreview.com/choosing-best-multimeter/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:31:37 -0700, Md Rashed Ali wrote:

It's great that you want to learn something new. I hope this adds some
value to you. It's a guide for "Choosing the Best Multimeter."

He has probably chosen one by now, since the original post was over 6
years ago! You even quoted the date in your reply. Try reading what you
are posting before hitting the 'send' button.

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 23:13:06 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:31:37 -0700, Md Rashed Ali wrote:

It's great that you want to learn something new. I hope this adds some
value to you. It's a guide for "Choosing the Best Multimeter."

He has probably chosen one by now, since the original post was over 6
years ago! You even quoted the date in your reply. Try reading what you
are posting before hitting the 'send' button.

It also is written by someone who could do with learning more about the subject

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

2012, are we sure he is still alive?

I should hope so, I think he was our youngest poster ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

2012, are we sure he is still alive?

I should hope so, I think he was our youngest poster ...

Does that make him a poster child ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rot Speed!

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 18:06:55 +1100, samchunk, better known as cantankerous
trolling senile geezer Rot Speed, wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

2012, are we sure he is still alive?

I should hope so, I think he was our youngest poster ...

Does that make him a poster child ?

Let's all hope that you won't make it past the next six years, senile Rot!

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Md Rashed Ali wrote:
On Saturday, August 25, 2012 at 3:45:32 AM UTC+6, gremlin_95 wrote:
Hi all,

I am looking to buy myself a Multimeter, not that I need one but it's
just something I want to learn to use, could come in handy some day! I
look after 2 fairly modern boilers so it could prove useful if one ever
develops a fault.

So my questions are, how hard is it to learn to use one? And are there
any which should be avoided?

--
David

Hi,

It's great that you want to learn something new. I hope this adds some
value to you. It's a guide for "Choosing the Best Multimeter."

https://multimeterreview.com/choosin...se-multimeter/

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

But not voltage or current? Very odd common DVM, I'd say.

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

'The common features of a digital multimeter are frequency, conductance,
resistance, inductance, continuity.'

Can't say I've ever seen one with a scale marked "conductance" either.
Surely it's just resistance's other hat...

On some Brymen meters the resistance ranges top out at e.g 50 megaohms,
then you switch to a conductance range for readings down to 0.01
nanosiemens (i.e. 100 gigaohms)

Multimeter Helen Deborah Vecht UK diy 4 October 16th 06 03:45 PM
Multimeter Codswallop UK diy 0 October 15th 06 04:25 PM
multimeter bubba Home Repair 8 April 28th 05 04:24 PM
FS: AN/PSM-37 multimeter/ME-418 Cowboy67 Electronics 0 January 24th 04 12:50 AM
multimeter Patt Home Repair 7 December 21st 03 01:54 PM