Junior Member

Default Slow draining toilet, what's that in the pic?

Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does
not flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering,
could that be there just to save water?

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Thanks!
Junior Member

Location: Shrewsbury

It's not very clear on the picture.

I would say that it is probably something to save water. Especially if it fills up and works Ok when removed.

I would remove it and keep it to one side.

Are you on a meter? It might be something that's been put in to save water, so the tank fills up quicker.
__________________
BuyersAssistant.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/BNYmT)
'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/jO2ZD)

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely
when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Thanks!

I see nothing there that shouldn't be there. The round thing is the
syphon for flushing it.

Does the cistern empty completely? If not, have you tried holding the
handle down? But it's probably a design feature, less water in the
flush is obviously a water saving green feature. Until you have to
flush it twice.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...

I see nothing there that shouldn't be there. The round thing is the
syphon for flushing it.

Does the cistern empty completely? If not, have you tried holding the
handle down? But it's probably a design feature, less water in the flush
is obviously a water saving green feature. Until you have to flush it
twice.

On one of mine there is a little plastic collar on the syphon that you
rotate to expose a hole if you want short and long flushes.
If the hole is closed you always get a long flush.
I can't see if there is one in the picture.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:20:09 +0000, Giss wrote:

It's not very clear on the picture.

Your telling me. All I can see is a reflection of something rectanglar
(window?) on the water surface in the first pic and a tank full of water
with all the normal bits one would find in a cistern, like the syphon,
the float valve and overflow.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2012 19:56, sjiraff79 wrote:
Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does
not flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering,
could that be there just to save water?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/BNYmT)
'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/jO2ZD)

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely
when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Replace the diaphragm that lifts the water in the syphon. They split
with age and then don't work properly.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 18:56:40 +0000, sjiraff79 wrote:

Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does not
flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering,
could that be there just to save water?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/BNYmT)
'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/jO2ZD)

Just part of the syphon, I'd think.

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely
when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Once it's started flushing, the actual mechanics shouldn't matter - it's
self sustaining.

I'd look for scale round under the rim, causing friction. Also the actual
inlet to the bowl may be obstructed.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:30:14 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:20:09 +0000, Giss wrote:

It's not very clear on the picture.

Your telling me. All I can see is a reflection of something rectanglar
(window?) on the water surface in the first pic and a tank full of water
with all the normal bits one would find in a cistern, like the syphon,
the float valve and overflow.

What I want to know is who's bare foot is in the picture. Can't be the
photographer unless he's a contortionist.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

What I want to know is who's bare foot is in the picture. Can't be the
photographer unless he's a contortionist.

Also remember to buy some more loo roll, you're down to the cardboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:37:37 +0100, Graham. wrote:

What I want to know is who's bare foot is in the picture. Can't be the
photographer unless he's a contortionist.

Taken on a phone? You never know which way is up unlike a real camera.
Had a collegue asking how to invert a video he had shot on his iPhone but
the wrong way up the other day. The iPhone automagically rotates the view
on the screen but not what it records... typical apple.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sjiraff79" wrote in message

Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does
not flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering,
could that be there just to save water?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/BNYmT)
'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/jO2ZD)

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely
when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Thanks!

With the top off, flush it and see if all the water empties out. It should
do but as others have indicated, there may be a "trick" to getting a short,
or long flush. FWIW I have two cisterns, for one "hold means short flush"
and for the other "hold means long flush" - sigh!

All the stuff in your cistern is part of the regular cistern works, no water
saving devices visible.

Someone suggested fixing the flap valve, this would only be needed if you
can't get the thing to flush properly when you crank the handle - you know,
those loos where you have to pump, pump, pump before it starts flushing.
Basically there's a sheet of plastic (the flap valve) which starts this off
and when that sheet splits, you get this problem.

One more thing, if the entire toilet bowl is limescaled, this doesn't help.
Those Harpic tablets which you drop in overnight (or whilst at work) do a
good job of getting rid of the limescale. Buy a box, and some Viakal, drop
one in and spray the bowl including under the rim and leave as long as
possible. Repeat this until the bowl looks like new, which could take 2
weeks if nobody has every done this before!

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sjiraff79" wrote in message

Hi everyone! I recently moved to a new flat, and our toilet does
not flush properly (sometimes we need a few flushes to clear it).

I noticed this big white box in the tank, and was wondering,
could that be there just to save water?

'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/BNYmT)
'imgur: the simple image sharer' (http://imgur.com/jO2ZD)

The tank fills up all the way otherwise, and empties almost completely
when flushed,
but there seems to be too little water/force. Any tips?

Thanks!

What big white box?
You could have cleaned the rim of the cistern before taking the pic.
This is a very posh group!

--
sjiraff79

Slow Draining Bathtub Ultraglide Home Repair 11 December 18th 07 09:20 PM
slow draining shower alath Home Repair 12 June 7th 07 03:19 AM
SLOW DRAINING C A Home Repair 4 April 19th 07 02:18 PM
Slow draining toilet [email protected] Home Repair 18 March 31st 07 11:37 PM
slow draining sink? Lee Carkenord Home Repair 2 October 9th 04 05:25 PM