Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Be careful buying Cat5e cable

Increasing amounts of Cat5e cable is appearing on the market which
is actually copper covered aluminium conductors (CCA). This does
not conform to the specs required for high speed networking cable.
When you buy Cat5e cable for networking, make sure it's solid copper,
and not CCA. Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DA DA is offline

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

I would be very interested to hear the particulars of this case. Was it a cable sold as a brand or did they know they were getting something sub-par, just not how bad it is?

I imagine you are describing a project with only the cable pulled, not a complete installation? The difference in conductors would be rather obvious once they started punching it down.

Have they literally removed or laid new cable ontop?

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 10:13*pm, DA
wrote:
Andrew Gabriel *wrote:
Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

I would be very interested to hear the particulars of this case. Was it a cable sold as a brand or did they know they were getting something sub-par, just not how bad it is?

I imagine you are describing a project with only the cable pulled, not a complete installation? The difference in conductors would be rather obvious *once they started punching it down.

Have they literally removed or laid new cable ontop?

AFAIK using CCA would only increase resistance marginally. Presumably
there are other issues with it that result in it not meeting spec.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2012 21:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Increasing amounts of Cat5e cable is appearing on the market which
is actually copper covered aluminium conductors (CCA). This does
not conform to the specs required for high speed networking cable.
When you buy Cat5e cable for networking, make sure it's solid copper,
and not CCA. Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

Have you actually got hold of any? I think I may have some here, having
looked at the cut ends with a hand lens, and the outer jacket is quite
loose. Came from eBay seller safekom as a 50m length complete with a
handful of RJ45 plugs and boots for £7.95 delivered. I did a single run
between 2 wall sockets on 2 floors of the house. Seems to work OK for
sending files to my laser printer via a 10/100 switch. Probably have
half of it left over - what are the actual practical consequences?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
writes
Increasing amounts of Cat5e cable is appearing on the market which
is actually copper covered aluminium conductors (CCA). This does
not conform to the specs required for high speed networking cable.
When you buy Cat5e cable for networking, make sure it's solid copper,
and not CCA. Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

Good reminder.

Let's not forget good old CCS too, only suitable for use as concrete
reinforcement or as a cable routing snake.

You remind me to post an update to the toolstation CCS telephone cable
fiasco which ended with them withdrawing pure copper CW1308 cable from
sale altogether rather than fix their apparent bulk purchasing mistake.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DA DA is offline

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...le-825235-.htm
DA wrote:
NT wrote:

AFAIK using CCA would only increase resistance marginally. Presumably
there are other issues with it that result in it not meeting spec.

I would think it's probably more of the conductor not staying put in the IDC connectors kind of issue. Does anyone have some experience with punching down CCA telecom cables (regardless of category spec)?

--

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article s.com,
DA writes:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

I would be very interested to hear the particulars of this case. Was it a cable sold as a brand or did they know they were getting something sub-par, just not how bad it is?

I imagine you are describing a project with only the cable pulled, not a complete installation? The difference in conductors would be rather obvious once they started punching it down.

Have they literally removed or laid new cable ontop?

I can't tell you about the one I knew about, but a google search
turns up this http://www.aci.org.uk/news_more.asp?news_id=36
where 100 boxes of cable had to be removed from the installation.
Looks like Cat6 is also impacted.

I came across this because I needed a new box of cable, and CPC
had some which was significantly cheaper than the rest, and I was
trying to work out why, when I noticed the CCS, and then searched
further, and someone knew of a customer who was recently hit by this.

I had also just bought some outdoor Cat5e which was going cheap.
Fortunately it looks like this is solid copper, but I'll check when
I next get access to it again.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Part Timer writes:
[...]

Guessing...
Short lengths running at 10/100 are unlikely to be a problem.
100m running at 1Gbit might be.
Life of connections might also be impacted.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 11:18*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Part Timer writes:

[...]

Soldering after punching would solve that, if you ensure the soldered
joints cant be moved.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:
On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
Part Timer writes:

[...]

Sounds like a way to end up with one molten plastic mess! Not to mention
some cat5 has a hard PTFE style of insulation that you really don't want
to go melting.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Increasing amounts of Cat5e cable is appearing on the market which
is actually copper covered aluminium conductors (CCA). This does
not conform to the specs required for high speed networking cable.
When you buy Cat5e cable for networking, make sure it's solid copper,
and not CCA. Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

Very interesting. Similar situation has existed for years with TV cable.
The expression 'CT100' appears on drums of imported cable that is
nothing like proper CT100, and performs very badly, especially at the
top end of the satellite IF band. This has caused a lot of grief when
long runs have been put in by the electricians, only for the TV system
installers to condemn it.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2012 21:19, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Increasing amounts of Cat5e cable is appearing on the market which
is actually copper covered aluminium conductors (CCA). This does
not conform to the specs required for high speed networking cable.
When you buy Cat5e cable for networking, make sure it's solid copper,
and not CCA. Some large new building installations have had to be
completely ripped out and replaced, after the contractors thought
they'd got a good deal on the cable, too good as it turned out.

Indeed, I have been careful to avoid it so far... basically if the 1000'
box is less than about £70 at the moment, then look at what you are
buying very carefully.

(there is also some Copper Clad Steel (CCS) out there)

Various reports suggest it can sometimes work ok with regards data
speed, but is less robust when pulling, more likely to fail later due to
corrosion, and is not as good when used for PoE applications.

Some related technical details he

http://www.fia-online.co.uk/pdf/Whites/wp-IAN002-01.pdf

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

roups.com...
DA wrote:
NT wrote:

AFAIK using CCA would only increase resistance marginally. Presumably
there are other issues with it that result in it not meeting spec.

I would think it's probably more of the conductor not staying put in the
IDC connectors kind of issue. Does anyone have some experience with
punching down CCA telecom cables (regardless of category spec)?

BT have and they won't make that mistake again.
Its fine for the first few years.
Then it starts to fall apart.
It appears that even road traffic vibrations can harden the cable at the
joints and then they snap.
Maintenance makes it worse, fix one break a few more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 2:13*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * *Part Timer writes:

[...]

Heh, I do think stripping the ends come into it somewhere

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 08:21:17 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

BT have and they won't make that mistake again. Its fine for the first
few years. Then it starts to fall apart. It appears that even road
traffic vibrations can harden the cable at the joints and then they
snap. Maintenance makes it worse, fix one break a few more.

Yep, our line is ali when ever I see a BT man down a hole along the route
the line takes I keep a very careful eye on ours remaining serviceable.
Factures in the IDC jelly bean and the jelly/uncut insulation can
sometimes mean the wire doesn't drop out making it obvious.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message s.com, DA
writes
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...e-cable-825235
-.htm
DA wrote:
NT wrote:

AFAIK using CCA would only increase resistance marginally. Presumably
there are other issues with it that result in it not meeting spec.

I would think it's probably more of the conductor not staying put in
the IDC connectors kind of issue. Does anyone have some experience with
punching down CCA telecom cables (regardless of category spec)?

Paging Wppltd ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * *Part Timer writes:

[...]

Not on punch down connectors it doesn't

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
Part Timer writes:

[...]

That really sounds like a non starter for thin wire applications like
these. The whole point of using IDC punchdown terminations is that they
are very fast and easy to do "in the field". If you needed to tit about
stripping insulation and soldering then you would add so much time and
inconvenience to the job as to render it impractical for all but a
trivial number of terminations. (remember that even installing just one
network socket with a pair of RJ45s requires 32 terminations).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 02:15, Bill Wright wrote:

Very interesting. Similar situation has existed for years with TV cable.

And mains power cables:
http://www.aci.org.uk/news_more.asp?...1&current_id=1

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * * Part Timer writes:

[...]

Stripping the ends is only a few seconds each conductor. Single
network sockets are 8 terminations at each end. I'm not saying go and
buy cca/ccs, but if you've already got it installed its workable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
Part Timer writes:

[...]

Even if only doing one socket at one end you are still going to have a
difficult job soldering to an IDC that is buried in a plastic former.

How do you expect to even get the bit of a soldering iron near to the
required metal bits? :

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...anelWiring.jpg

Your best chance might be so solder, carefully heatshrink, then retwist
a length of real CAT5E to the end of the CCA* and then terminate that
normally. If you start attempting to mess about with soldering a patch
panel, you are just going to write off the panel.

* for voice only apps, you could get away with jelly bean crimps since
maintaining the twist is less important.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2012 00:04, NT wrote:

On Aug 10, 11:18 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * * *Part Timer writes:

[...]

Just pull the plastic cover of the IDC connector off. I'm only really
suggesting it for an existing install where someone's been lumbered,
its quicker than recabling

NT