Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Be careful when buying energy saving lights

Like most people I am working through my house changing to low energy
lamps. Up to now I have used the existing fittings and simply changed
the bulbs. A few days ago I bought some wall lights that were designed
for the compact fluorescents that have the square bases and separate
control circuitry on the fitting.

The lamps were rated at 18W. I intended to change these to a lower
output as I wanted background light from these undimmable lights. I
bought some 10W bulbs only to find that they would not fit. All I can do
is to buy 18W warm white bulbs that will give a more restrained light
output.

After some research I now know that there are several different and
incompatible bases. For electronic control gear there are three called
G24q-1(under 18W), G24q-2 (18W) and G24q-3 (over 18W). It seems that the
voltages are different. There are similarly three for conventional
control gear called G24d-1 etc.

No doubt many of you know all this already. But if like me you are new
to these fittings, be warned. You must choose the correct wattage in the
first place because you can't change later. I shall be buying
conventional fittings from now on. Unless of course someone knows better
than me?

There is a good data sheet from Osram which sums all this stuff up.
Download it from CPC at http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/44969.pdf

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-06 17:47:31 +0100, Peter Scott said:

Like most people I am working through my house changing to low energy lamps.

Really? That's a huge assumption. I recently threw several that had
been tried and found wanting into the bin along with the rest of the
rubbish.

[...]

Far easier to buy traditional fittings and to use proper tungsten
bulbs. You could then use any type that you like within the thermal
range of the fitting and could dim them as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Scott" wrote in message
[...]

It is not just the lampholders:
We have mini strip lights all around the kitchen, using the T4 tubes. As,
so it seems, with almost all things cfl, the ballast fails on a regular
basis and the fittings are pretty well sealed, the strip light holders have
to be changed quite frequently. Every time we look for a new one, the
connector plug and socket design have been changed, so you can no longer
link them together without cutting ends off and just using a connector
block. Clearly deliberate, and makes a mockery of attempts at energy saving.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Far easier to buy traditional fittings and to use proper tungsten
bulbs. You could then use any type that you like within the thermal
range of the fitting and could dim them as well.

Yes indeed, but it can be illuminating (!) to calculate how much you
spend on electricity for lighting. Dimmers don't reduce the consumption
much, just make the lamps even less efficient.

Peter Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-06 18:36:33 +0100, "spamlet" said:

It is not just the lampholders:
We have mini strip lights all around the kitchen, using the T4 tubes. As,
so it seems, with almost all things cfl, the ballast fails on a regular
basis and the fittings are pretty well sealed, the strip light holders have
to be changed quite frequently. Every time we look for a new one, the
connector plug and socket design have been changed, so you can no longer
link them together without cutting ends off and just using a connector
block. Clearly deliberate, and makes a mockery of attempts at energy saving.

Not really. It's a mockery anyway, although it has to be said that
playing around with lightbulbs is making a mockery even of that.

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jpo0006l.jpg

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/wpr0111l.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-06 18:38:09 +0100, Peter Scott said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Far easier to buy traditional fittings and to use proper tungsten
bulbs. You could then use any type that you like within the thermal
range of the fitting and could dim them as well.

Yes indeed, but it can be illuminating (!) to calculate how much you
spend on electricity for lighting.

In terms of total energy outlay, very little, and in terms of my GDP,
very small indeed. When one then considers that for six months plus
of the year, any heat produced by lighting is added to the envelope of
the house, then it becomes even smaller.

Dimmers don't reduce the consumption much, just make the lamps even
less efficient.

Yes I know. The objective would be to set the lighting to the
desired aesthetic level. If 100W of heat is added to the
requirements for the house, then so be it.

The whole thing is focussed on what amounts to a 3rd or 4th order issue

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:47:31 UTC, Peter Scott
wrote:

Like most people I am working through my house changing to low energy
lamps.

Not me. I've stocked up on incandescents.

http://www.diybanter.com

Energy saving lamps Grumps UK diy 97 October 2nd 07 12:22 PM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 12 August 28th 07 07:00 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet Home Repair 0 August 23rd 07 09:03 AM
Energy Saving -Saving our Climate Milieunet UK diy 0 August 23rd 07 08:58 AM
Energy Saving Bulbs Malcolm Stewart UK diy 11 May 1st 06 06:53 PM