Posted to uk.d-i-y
Malcolm Stewart

Default Energy Saving Bulbs

"Doki" wrote in message
Why do they all hum?

More to the point - have you found any which get near their stated
equivalence in tungsten wattages? And, wouldn't it be nice if their warm-up
time could be significantly reduced.
I'm somewhat deaf so I can't hear mine humming or not.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Malcolm Stewart" writes:
"Doki" wrote in message
Why do they all hum?

More to the point - have you found any which get near their stated
equivalence in tungsten wattages?

Ignore the stated equivalence, and just multiply their power
by 4 to get equivalent tungsten wattage. In the case of the
small reflector ones, reduce this to 3 times. Use lamps with
no outer glass bulb when possible (except for those used in
cold or drafty conditions, e.g. outdoors).

The GE Genura 23W R80 is an exception, being brighter than
the 100W R80 it replaces (once it's warmed up). It works by
a different mechanism than other compact fluorescents.

And, wouldn't it be nice if their warm-up
time could be significantly reduced.

That might even get worse as the amount of mercury allowed
in fluorescent lamps is reduced by EU legislation (I don't
know if current lamps already conform to the new RoHS rules).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message m
from "Malcolm Stewart"
contains these words:

And, wouldn't it be nice if their warm-up time could be significantly
reduced.

Yes - and then again no. The wife's got an LE R50 bulb in her bedside
reading lamp. I rather like the way it comes on gently and doesn't blow
your retina away in the middle of the night.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

That might even get worse as the amount of mercury allowed in
fluorescent lamps is reduced by EU legislation (I don't know if
current lamps already conform to the new RoHS rules).

There are some specific relaxations in the RoHS regulations in regard to
fluorescent lamps:

quote (from SI 2005 No. 2748)

SCHEDULE 2 Regulation 4(2)
Exempt applications

1. Mercury in compact fluorescent lamps not exceeding 5 mg per lamp.

2. Mercury in straight fluorescent lamps for general purposes not
exceeding
(a) 10 mg for halophosphate,
(b) 5mg for triphosphate with normal lifetime, and
(c) 8 mg for triphosphate with long lifetime.

3. Mercury in straight fluorescent lamps for special purposes.

4. Mercury in other lamps not specifically mentioned in this Schedule.

5. Lead in glass of cathode ray tubes, electronic components and
fluorescent tubes.

/quote

I've no idea how those figures compare with current/pre-RoHS mercury levels.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Malcolm Stewart" writes:
"Doki" wrote in message

More to the point - have you found any which get near their stated
equivalence in tungsten wattages?

no

Ignore the stated equivalence, and just multiply their power
by 4 to get equivalent tungsten wattage. In the case of the
small reflector ones, reduce this to 3 times. Use lamps with
no outer glass bulb when possible (except for those used in
cold or drafty conditions, e.g. outdoors).

The GE Genura 23W R80 is an exception, being brighter than
the 100W R80 it replaces (once it's warmed up). It works by
a different mechanism than other compact fluorescents.

And, wouldn't it be nice if their warm-up
time could be significantly reduced.

That might even get worse as the amount of mercury allowed
in fluorescent lamps is reduced by EU legislation (I don't
know if current lamps already conform to the new RoHS rules).

A quick heat mode would solve the warm up issue, but would also cost a
bit more money. Until we see cfls with this feature, some are better
than others at warm up.

BTW why do you say best to use ones with no outer glass envelope?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message . com...

More to the point - have you found any which get near their stated
equivalence in tungsten wattages?

What sort of tungsten lamps?
Halogen.. no chance, ordinary bulbs.. maybe, long life bulbs.. easily.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
I like the slow warm-up, especially for bedrooms.

Filth.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

The message
from chris French contains these words:

Ignore the stated equivalence, and just multiply their power
by 4 to get equivalent tungsten wattage.

Nearer 5, IME.

Nah, they always claim x5, but I use x4 and that seems to be nearer the
equivalent

Sorry, yes, I got that the wrong way round.

I had some alleged 20W lamps from Poundland once. They shed an eerie
darkness which made everyone look like corpses in a horror film.

--
Skipweasel

Energy Saving Bulbs Alan Holmes UK diy 1 May 1st 06 10:13 AM
Energy Saving Bulbs MoxieMouse Home Repair 4 January 9th 06 05:49 PM
Energy Saving flourecent in Bathroom Vince Home Repair 20 October 29th 05 12:42 AM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM