Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Energy Saving Bulbs

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Malcolm Stewart" writes:
"Doki" wrote in message

More to the point - have you found any which get near their stated
equivalence in tungsten wattages?

no

Ignore the stated equivalence, and just multiply their power
by 4 to get equivalent tungsten wattage. In the case of the
small reflector ones, reduce this to 3 times. Use lamps with
no outer glass bulb when possible (except for those used in
cold or drafty conditions, e.g. outdoors).

The GE Genura 23W R80 is an exception, being brighter than
the 100W R80 it replaces (once it's warmed up). It works by
a different mechanism than other compact fluorescents.

And, wouldn't it be nice if their warm-up
time could be significantly reduced.

That might even get worse as the amount of mercury allowed
in fluorescent lamps is reduced by EU legislation (I don't
know if current lamps already conform to the new RoHS rules).

A quick heat mode would solve the warm up issue, but would also cost a
bit more money. Until we see cfls with this feature, some are better
than others at warm up.

BTW why do you say best to use ones with no outer glass envelope?

NT