Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default McAllister chainsaw

Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc
Would only be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2012 18:06, johno wrote:

Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc
Would only be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.

Not used one, but IIRC it was one of those B&Q own brands that seemed to
get fairly well slated at the time? Not entirely sure that would be a
good starting point for something that could do you such a serious
mischief if it throws a wobbly!

Of the cheap brands that do garden kit, Einhell seem to be better tahn
some (probably made by the same OEM as also make much of the Clark stuff
for Machine Mart, plus also Sovereign). Well enough made, although
fairly heavy. Engines start nicely though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc
Would only be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.

Good enough for that.

Found them a bit ****y to start. FIL has one. Prefer my stihl.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

johno wrote:
Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc Would only
be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.

Good enough for that.

Found them a bit ****y to start. FIL has one. Prefer my stihl.

Do you think the Stihl is worth the extra money?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
johno wrote:
Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc Would only
be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.

Good enough for that.

Found them a bit ****y to start. FIL has one. Prefer my stihl.

Do you think the Stihl is worth the extra money?

Personally yes, but I was using it quite a lot. The McAllister had a big
chain but not enough power to drive it for the larger logs.

I have the smallest stihl there is. But it will cut anything its chain
length can get through.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
johno wrote:
Anybody got one, used one. Comments on quality/build etc Would only
be used for small dia (6" max) and only light use in winter.
Good enough for that.

Found them a bit ****y to start. FIL has one. Prefer my stihl.

Do you think the Stihl is worth the extra money?

Personally yes, but I was using it quite a lot. The McAllister had a big
chain but not enough power to drive it for the larger logs.

I have the smallest stihl there is. But it will cut anything its chain
length can get through.

I recon about 45cc is the smallest that you can get away with on a two
stroke chainsaw...

--
Cheers,

John.