Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Straightening wood

I have some planks of wood that are slightly `banana shape`. Is there an
easy way to make them true again, if I use a guide on a circular saw or
jigsaw it will follow the `banana` curve.
I have a table saw, jig saw and circular saw.

I am sure there must be a simple way but just cant work it out.

thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 19/07/2012 18:01, ss wrote:
I have some planks of wood that are slightly `banana shape`. Is there an
easy way to make them true again, if I use a guide on a circular saw or
jigsaw it will follow the `banana` curve.
I have a table saw, jig saw and circular saw.

I am sure there must be a simple way but just cant work it out.

thanks

I should have mentioned its not warped on the length but on the width,
if that makes sense. it is 6 feet long 6 inches wide and it is the 6
inches wide that has arched, so for example if I lay the 6 ft length on
a flat surface the middle of the length would be say 6.5 inches and each
end would be 6 inches. It came off a neighbours fence that had
horizontal slats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 18:08, ss wrote:
On 19/07/2012 18:01, ss wrote:
I have some planks of wood that are slightly `banana shape`. Is there an
easy way to make them true again, if I use a guide on a circular saw or
jigsaw it will follow the `banana` curve.
I have a table saw, jig saw and circular saw.

I am sure there must be a simple way but just cant work it out.

thanks

I should have mentioned its not warped on the length but on the width,
if that makes sense. it is 6 feet long 6 inches wide and it is the 6
inches wide that has arched, so for example if I lay the 6 ft length on
a flat surface the middle of the length would be say 6.5 inches and each
end would be 6 inches. It came off a neighbours fence that had
horizontal slats.

Blimey, that's an odd shape.
Generally, on a table saw, you would pin something straight to the
banana piece (2"x1" or whatever) and run that edge against the saw
fence. The opposite edge will then be straight, and you can then run
that against the fence to get the second edge straight. Easier to do
than explain :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 19/07/2012 18:32, stuart noble wrote:
On 19/07/2012 18:08, ss wrote:
On 19/07/2012 18:01, ss wrote:
[...]

Actually I think that might do it, I`ll give it a go if it ever stops
raining and I can get set up outdoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:01:41 PM UTC, ss wrote:
I have some planks of wood that are slightly `banana shape`. Is there an
easy way to make them true again, if I use a guide on a circular saw or
jigsaw it will follow the `banana` curve.
I have a table saw, jig saw and circular saw.

I am sure there must be a simple way but just cant work it out.

thanks

if its cupped, plane it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2012 18:08, ss wrote:
On 19/07/2012 18:01, ss wrote:
I have some planks of wood that are slightly `banana shape`. Is there an
easy way to make them true again, if I use a guide on a circular saw or
jigsaw it will follow the `banana` curve.
I have a table saw, jig saw and circular saw.

I am sure there must be a simple way but just cant work it out.

thanks

I should have mentioned its not warped on the length but on the width,
if that makes sense. it is 6 feet long 6 inches wide and it is the 6
inches wide that has arched, so for example if I lay the 6 ft length on
a flat surface the middle of the length would be say 6.5 inches and each
end would be 6 inches. It came off a neighbours fence that had
horizontal slats.

Having a little difficulty visualizing which direction it has warped
here....

If with the plank laying flat on a surface, its bowed up in the middle
by half and inch, then to plane it flat you would need to reduce its
thickness by over an inch. That may leave you with nothing but sawdust.
The best you can usually do in those cases is chop it into shorter
lengths and flatten them.

If the bow is on the other axis, so you just have flat plank but without
a decent straight edge on either side, then clamp or pin a striaght
plank to it and run it through the table saw to get a straight opposing
edge. After that its easy.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 21/07/2012 10:51, John Rumm wrote:
If the bow is on the other axis, so you just have flat plank but without
a decent straight edge on either side, then clamp or pin a striaght
plank to it and run it through the table saw to get a straight opposing
edge. After that its easy.

Thats it, its the straight edges that are warped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2012 11:55, ss wrote:
On 21/07/2012 10:51, John Rumm wrote:
If the bow is on the other axis, so you just have flat plank but without
a decent straight edge on either side, then clamp or pin a striaght
plank to it and run it through the table saw to get a straight opposing
edge. After that its easy.

Thats it, its the straight edges that are warped.

boggles

It's got six edges. Four, if you don't count the short ends.

So if the straight edges are warped, does this mean the warped ones are
straight?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:19:01 PM UTC+1, Andy Champ wrote:
On 21/07/2012 11:55, ss wrote:
> On 21/07/2012 10:51, John Rumm wrote:
>> If the bow is on the other axis, so you just have flat plank but without
>> a decent straight edge on either side, then clamp or pin a striaght
>> plank to it and run it through the table saw to get a straight opposing
>> edge. After that its easy.
>
> Thats it, its the straight edges that are warped.

<boggles>

It's got six edges. Four, if you don't count the short ends.

So if the straight edges are warped, does this mean the warped ones are
straight?

Andy

This might sound stupid but it works. lay it face down on the grass for an afternoon.