Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jed Jed is offline

Default Any clever tips for painting skirting board?

Finished laying the engineered wood flooring and have pinned the skirting
board to the wall (both new, so no need for any scotia), now just about to
start painting.

Are there any clever solutions for protecting the flooring from paint? The
skirting board is getting a white eggshell top coat, so any 'over-run' onto
the natural oak flooring is going to look pants (or be a bugger to clean
off)

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 21:00, Jed wrote:
Finished laying the engineered wood flooring and have pinned the skirting
board to the wall (both new, so no need for any scotia), now just about to
start painting.

Are there any clever solutions for protecting the flooring from paint? The
skirting board is getting a white eggshell top coat, so any 'over-run' onto
the natural oak flooring is going to look pants (or be a bugger to clean
off)

Masking tape as used by vehicle refinishers. Use it to hold down some
newspaper if you're really slapdash.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jed wrote:
The skirting board is getting a white eggshell top coat, so any 'over-run'
onto the natural oak flooring is going to look pants (or be a bugger to
clean off)

You won't see it once the carpet's down.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 21:00, Jed wrote:
Finished laying the engineered wood flooring and have pinned the skirting
board to the wall (both new, so no need for any scotia), now just about to
start painting.

Are there any clever solutions for protecting the flooring from paint? The
skirting board is getting a white eggshell top coat, so any 'over-run' onto
the natural oak flooring is going to look pants (or be a bugger to clean
off)

Thanks

A bit late now, but paint it *before* you fix it to the wall - and then
fix it with Gripfill or similar rather than nails. If the wall isn't
quite flat, you may need the occasional pin, plus a thin bead of
decorator's caulk along the top - both of which can easily be touched up
after the event without getting any paint on the floor.

Since the skirting is already fixed to the wall . . . Hopefully you
left a very small gap under it to allow the flooring to move a bit when
it expands and contracts? If so, you can slip some thin plastic sheeting
*under* the skirting to protect the floor while you paint.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jed wrote:

Finished laying the engineered wood flooring and have pinned the skirting
board to the wall (both new, so no need for any scotia), now just about to
start painting.

Are there any clever solutions for protecting the flooring from paint?
The skirting board is getting a white eggshell top coat, so any 'over-run'
onto the natural oak flooring is going to look pants (or be a bugger to
clean off)

Thanks

Yes - what I did was get some DPM membrane from toolstation - small, 3x4m,
not hugely expensive - but very tough.

Cut into 5-10cm wide strips and slide under the skirting. Overlap the joins
by a few cm.

You can paint with impunity. While wet, slide back slightly but do not
remove - this helps to stop a big blob of paint sticking to the sheet.

Remove when paint is completely dry.

HTH

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/07/2012 07:22, Brian Gaff wrote:
Isn't this what masking tape was invented for?

Brian

I thought that you would be in favour of Gaffer tape. (I'll get my coat.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2012 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:
Jed wrote:

[...]

Do the edges first with a half inch brush. Faster than masking tape

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jed wrote:

[...]

But I challenge anyone to do it faster than my method above - unless you
have a very steady hand! Also, enineered wood can move so there is a high
risk of getting a tiny paint line which then migrates away from the
skirting.

Plastic is reusable so time to prep is mostly once for any number of jobs.

I can cut-in quite well, but I find it mentally exhausting to maintain that
level of concentration.
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can cut-in quite well, but I find it mentally exhausting to maintain that
level of concentration.

Especially on your hands and knees :-)
Mind you, if there's room to slide a membrane under the skirting, I
certainly wouldn't get paint on the floor. *Some* paint needs to be on
the very edge of the skirting, but not as much as on the rest

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
newshound writes
On 16/07/2012 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:

Yes - what I did was get some DPM membrane from toolstation - small, 3x4m,
not hugely expensive - but very tough.

Cut into 5-10cm wide strips and slide under the skirting. Overlap the joins
by a few cm.

You can paint with impunity. While wet, slide back slightly but do not
remove - this helps to stop a big blob of paint sticking to the sheet.

Remove when paint is completely dry.

HTH

Tim

Excellent tip.

Tip 2:

If it's tight(ish) to the floor, fold 1/2" at the edge of the membrane
over a wide scraper to push it under the skirting.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

FS: Walnut skirting board Slider UK diy 0 November 3rd 08 04:39 PM
Cutting skirting board John Kelly UK diy 15 July 31st 06 08:47 PM
Skirting Board Tricia UK diy 5 April 26th 06 12:23 PM
Skirting board Chris Styles UK diy 8 February 8th 06 04:45 PM
Skirting board tips [email protected] UK diy 6 October 25th 05 09:43 PM