Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Town That Never Retired

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 22:47:12 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I'm 52

Christ, you're six years younger than me. Forgive me for saying so, I
had assumed you were an old git.

Naw, just do a good impression of a Grumpy Old Man.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:54:08 +0100, MM wrote:

These two programmes have attempted to show how we can all work into
our 70s, as that is what the government keeps telling us is going to
be necessary.

Aye, anyone younger than around their early 50's ought to look at what
the current projected state pensiojn age is for them. I'm 52 and won't
get the State Pension until I'm 66. That's assuming I make it that
far, just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. B-(

Sorry to hear that Dave, but take some hope from the fact that my father
suffered from Parkinson's,and he survived until the grand old age of 82
before a stroke and Pneumoconiosis saw him off - rather than the
Parkinson's.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 13/07/2012 19:24, Rod Speed wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 13/07/2012 11:43, ARWadsworth wrote:
jgharston wrote:
On tonight's episode they sent in some youngsters
to compare with the 70-year-olds from yesterday.
The plumber Ashley was outstanding from the first
second he walked onto the job. The rest of the
20-year-olds were such a appalling example of
"today's yoof" they could be poster-childs for
any Daily Wail young benfer scrounger scum
campaign.

JGH

I have watched it.

There is no way I can do what I do now when I am 70 at the same speed.

Could I still do it? Why not?

BTW we have a new apprentice. There is something seriously wrong with
this
one. He is interested in what he does, he is a quick learner and is
good at
his job. And for some reason I liked him the moment I met him (just
the way
he spoke to me when we met did the trick).

He cannot afford to insure a car so he takes the train to Doncaster
and then
bikes it from the train station to the unit. He is an absolute
pleasure to
talk to and is just superb in every aspect of his work. In fact he is
causing problems because he is fitting the gear faster than we can
get it
delivered! And everything he has installed is perfect.

Hearing that has made my day. I'd like to meet his parents. They
should be appointed special advisors to the government

Its unlikely that they can do anything about transferring their genetics
to everyone else's kids.

Assuming it is all genetic.

Nope, just knowing that much of it is.

I very much doubt that

Sure, but its been proven that much of it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
And while you may not be as capable of as much physical work
at 70 as you are at Adam's current age, many who are 70 can
still get more work done right than plenty of 20 year olds too.

What's really annoying is knowing that I will have to start
paying people to do the work that I frustratingly want to
tell myself that I /can/ do, but have to persuade myself to
accept that while I /know/ how to do it I can't /physically/
so it. Two weeks ago I almost passed out plastering a low
ceiling (lots of bending and kneeling) and sheepishly asked
the plumber I had in if he could finish it off for me.

It's a blow to the ego (and the pocket) to have to pay
somebody else to do "your job", especially if you find
youself standing over them and saying, no, don't do
that, look, do it this way, arghh! me knees!, etc.

Sure, but there's plenty of non heavy physical work
where that doesn't happen and you can leave 20 year
olds for dead, just because you know a hell of a lot
more than they ever do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Sure, but there's plenty of non heavy physical work
where that doesn't happen and you can leave 20 year
olds for dead, just because you know a hell of a lot
more than they ever do.

Yeah, I just worry some upstart (like my tenant last
year) is going to say something like: oi! this isn't
17th Ed compliant! I'm gonna report you! And I wearily
explain that it was installed fully compliant with 16th
Ed when 16th Ed was current, and has been regularly
tested, and new regs doesn't force you to rip out a
pre-existing safe compliant functional installation,
regardless of what people trying to sell make-work
would want you to believe.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
[...]

:-)

However the best apprentice I have ever had has never met his Dad and his
Mother is an alcoholic slag. He saw the apprenticeship as a way to leave
home.

Dunno about the new one. But he is worth taking the time to find out more
about him. And that is what I will do. The next time it is ****ing it down I
will pretend to have a job near his house. He can throw the bike in the van
and I can drop him off at home. We can then have a proper talk time. And
that will be 30 miles well spent.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

What's really annoying is knowing that I will have to start
paying people to do the work that I frustratingly want to
tell myself that I /can/ do, but have to persuade myself to
accept that while I /know/ how to do it I can't /physically/
so it. Two weeks ago I almost passed out plastering a low
ceiling (lots of bending and kneeling) and sheepishly asked
the plumber I had in if he could finish it off for me.

It's a blow to the ego (and the pocket) to have to pay
somebody else to do "your job", especially if you find
youself standing over them and saying, no, don't do that,
look, do it this way, arghh! me knees!, etc.

My sympathies...

I had a hernia op (double, one inguinal, one belly button) 2 weeks ago.

Keyhole jobbie so recovery is good, relatively speaking, but for the first
week I felt completely decrepid - painkillers and getting out of bed was a
PITA.

Now I can walk fine and no painkillers, but cannot lift nor drive for
another week or two or three.

I'll be back to nornal next month, but at 44 it was a timely reminder how
valuable good health is.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 10:51*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 04:44:31 -0700 (PDT), jgharston

wrote:
My knees have already crapped out and I'm in my mid-40s. Light
switches I can do. Sockets and underfloor wiring leaves me
in agony.

Same here - ****ing sore.
I've been using my electric bike for a while; the other day I got on
it and pedalled the first couple of hundred yards with no power -
****ing Nora, the pain in the knees.
Funnily enough, when I've been using the motor and assisting it with
my own power, it's no problem after the first couple of miles to give
it laldy, not a twinge then. It's that first flexing motion that kills
me.

I have bad knees. Came on quite suddenly. Have you tried an elastic
knee support "thingy" on your knee? Can help tremendously. They
have them in Boots. Get one that fits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thing I don't think has been mentioned is that those who could work later
in life are also the ones more likely to have an occupational pension.
Manual workers the least likely.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hearing that has made my day. I'd like to meet his parents. They
should be appointed special advisors to the government

:-)

However the best apprentice I have ever had has never met his Dad and his
Mother is an alcoholic slag. He saw the apprenticeship as a way to leave
home.

No genetics there then :-)

Dunno about the new one. But he is worth taking the time to find out more
about him. And that is what I will do. The next time it is ****ing it down I
will pretend to have a job near his house. He can throw the bike in the van
and I can drop him off at home. We can then have a proper talk time. And
that will be 30 miles well spent.

I don't think youngsters realise that older folk *want* them to succeed.
I always tell them that it doesn't matter what you choose as a career,
just aim to be the world's best at it. The work experience kid who went
on to become head groundsman at the Emirates and the Bernabeu is a good
example.
And, if all else fails, train for the marathon. I was told by a city
slicker that a fast time earns you big respect in the square mile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:12:08 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thing I don't think has been mentioned is that those who could work
later in life are also the ones more likely to have an occupational
pension. Manual workers the least likely.

Didn't think an employee could avoid paying into a pension scheme these
days. You either paid into one organised(*) by the employer or you have
to opt out and pay into one of your own.

As I said earlier everyone ought to push as much as they can into a
pension fund starting as soon as they start work if not before. The early
contributions will have 40 to 50 years to grow and will make a
significant difference to the size of the pot and when you can afford to
retire.

(*) Note organised, not run.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 00:56:31 +0100, Cash wrote:

Sorry to hear that Dave, but take some hope from the fact that my
father suffered from Parkinson's,and he survived until the grand old
age of 82 before a stroke and Pneumoconiosis saw him off - rather than
the Parkinson's.

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I like to hear. B-) Parkinson's isn't
a killer as such but in the later stages it makes you more vulnerable to
other things like an infection or fall and it's that that gets you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote

Hearing that has made my day. I'd like to meet his parents. They should
be appointed special advisors to the government

:-)

However the best apprentice I have ever had has never met his Dad and his
Mother is an alcoholic slag. He saw the apprenticeship as a way to leave
home.

No genetics there then :-)

You don't know that with his dad.

**** all will ever be the world's best at anything.

The work experience kid who went on to become head groundsman at the
Emirates and the Bernabeu is a good example.

Nope, that's not the world's best.

And, if all else fails, train for the marathon.

No thanks, only fools are that stupid.

I was told by a city slicker that a fast time earns you big respect in the
square mile.

Who cares what clowns like that 'respect' ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Hearing that has made my day. I'd like to meet his parents. They
should be appointed special advisors to the government

:-)

However the best apprentice I have ever had has never met his Dad
and his Mother is an alcoholic slag. He saw the apprenticeship as a
way to leave home.

No genetics there then :-)

Probably the exception and not the rule! The parents are usually to blame
for bringing up of lazy workshy ****s and the parents are usualy to "blame"
for fetching up well spoken and intelligent kids. But I know what you
mean:-)

Dunno about the new one. But he is worth taking the time to find
out more about him. And that is what I will do. The next time it is
****ing it down I will pretend to have a job near his house. He can
throw the bike in the van and I can drop him off at home. We can
then have a proper talk time. And that will be 30 miles well spent.

I don't think youngsters realise that older folk *want* them to
succeed. I always tell them that it doesn't matter what you choose as
a career, just aim to be the world's best at it. The work experience
kid who went on to become head groundsman at the Emirates and the
Bernabeu is a good example.
And, if all else fails, train for the marathon. I was told by a city
slicker that a fast time earns you big respect in the square mile.

I always tell them to try their best.

And I have only one rule. That rule is that is I will never give them a job
I am not prepared to do myself.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Rod Speed wrote:
And while you may not be as capable of as much physical work
at 70 as you are at Adam's current age, many who are 70 can
still get more work done right than plenty of 20 year olds too.

What's really annoying is knowing that I will have to start
paying people to do the work that I frustratingly want to
tell myself that I /can/ do, but have to persuade myself to
accept that while I /know/ how to do it I can't /physically/
so it. Two weeks ago I almost passed out plastering a low
ceiling (lots of bending and kneeling) and sheepishly asked
the plumber I had in if he could finish it off for me.

It's a blow to the ego (and the pocket) to have to pay
somebody else to do "your job", especially if you find
youself standing over them and saying, no, don't do that,
look, do it this way, arghh! me knees!, etc.

JGH

That's one of the arguments for an age related extra personal tax
allowance.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2012 12:32, ARWadsworth wrote:

And I have only one rule. That rule is that is I will never give them a job
I am not prepared to do myself.

The stuff at heights? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Thing I don't think has been mentioned is that those who could work
later in life are also the ones more likely to have an occupational
pension. Manual workers the least likely.

Didn't think an employee could avoid paying into a pension scheme these
days. You either paid into one organised(*) by the employer or you have
to opt out and pay into one of your own.

How about all the short term contract, casual, or freelance?

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 09:32:52 +0100, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

Aye, anyone younger than around their early 50's ought to look at what
the current projected state pensiojn age is for them. I'm 52 and won't
get the State Pension until I'm 66. That's assuming I make it that far,
just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. B-(

This group is part of a health site of which I am a member (relating to
another disease). Any use?

http://parkinsonsmovement.healthunlocked.com

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
jgharston wrote:
[...]

Sounds as if he might have enough go in him to start his own bizz then
you'll have some competition;!..

Or else you might have someone on your hands whom you can leave things
to whilst of having a good time with the MK CXV girlfriend ;?...

* Or what eve mark number we're up to this month;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
[...]

I am having some time off from relationships.

I have got one lined up for Tuesdsay but there is no need to rush things.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 05:26:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is this series propaganda by any chance. The bit I saw smacked of set up.

Brian

If it appears on BBC, then yes, I agree. These two programmes have
attempted to show how we can all work into our 70s, as that is what
the government keeps telling us is going to be necessary. But the
truth is that even with healthy pensioners, they just don't have the
stamina and cannot be expected to be as flexible as 20-year-olds.

The results of the programmes are going to throw the government's
plans haywire. The pensioners shown were probably above average. There
are going to be many thousands who canot stand for longer periods, do
not have the dexterity to manipulate small items, cannot concentrate
too well and so on, exhibiting all the signs of natural aging in fact.
Imagine 75-year-old bus drivers driving your kids to school? They
could have a heart attack or stroke any minute.

They whole thing was wrong..
if people are to work beyond 67-73 then they will already be doing the jobs
and have the required skills and stamina.
Taking 73 year olds and putting them back to work after 7 years of doing
nowt is not the same.

No, what is needed is a fundamental re-think of the whole concept of
capitalism, because it is now coming to the end of its useful life as
fewer and fewer jobs are available due to mechanisation and robot
processes.

As for the young people in the second programme, what a bunch of
dropouts, largely!

They probably selected them from a job centre, there's a lot of them there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You are only 56 and out of work. That says a lot about you.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

And I have only one rule. That rule is that is I will
never give them a job I am not prepared to do myself.

The stuff at heights? :-)

He didn't give him that job, he volunteered for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:54:08 +0100, MM wrote:

These two programmes have attempted to show how we can all work into
our 70s, as that is what the government keeps telling us is going to be
necessary.

Aye, anyone younger than around their early 50's ought to look at what
the current projected state pensiojn age is for them. I'm 52 and won't
get the State Pension until I'm 66. That's assuming I make it that far,
just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. B-(

Parkinsons doesn't usually shorten life does it?
Its also treatable these days.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
They whole thing was wrong.. if people are to work beyond 67-73 then
they will already be doing the jobs and have the required skills and
stamina.

Have you never been around people as they get to retirement age?

I have. Some are capable of carrying on for longer - some not. And some
should have retired earlier. Just because people are living longer doesn't
mean they are staying fit and healthy for longer too.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
They whole thing was wrong.. if people are to work beyond 67-73 then
they will already be doing the jobs and have the required skills and
stamina.

Have you never been around people as they get to retirement age?

I have. Some are capable of carrying on for longer - some not. And some
should have retired earlier. Just because people are living longer doesn't
mean they are staying fit and healthy for longer too.

In general they are, but as you get older there are more people with more
problems.
What the proportion will be by 2044 when the retirement age goes to 68 is
anyone's guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
dennis@home wrote

They whole thing was wrong.. if people are to work
beyond 67-73 then they will already be doing the
jobs and have the required skills and stamina.

Not necessarily on that last, particularly with work that
involves manual labor.

Have you never been around people as they get to retirement age?

Yes.

I have. Some are capable of carrying on for longer - some not.

Yes, some do retire early for medical reasons.

And some should have retired earlier.

And some never were very employable.

Just because people are living longer doesn't mean
they are staying fit and healthy for longer too.

They are in fact doing just that.

Yes, there are still some that don’t last until retirement,
but there are less of those than there used to be, if only
because far fewer do heavy manual labor for the whole
of their working lives anymore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 14/07/2012 12:32, ARWadsworth wrote:

And I have only one rule. That rule is that is I will never give
them a job I am not prepared to do myself.

The stuff at heights? :-)

Well I was up there with them when I cut my hand open.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Aye, anyone younger than around their early 50's ought to look at what
the current projected state pensiojn age is for them. I'm 52 and won't
get the State Pension until I'm 66. That's assuming I make it that far,
just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. *B-(

This group is part of a health site of which I am a member (relating to
another disease). Any use?

http://parkinsonsmovement.healthunlocked.com

Some new work going on with diet and food extract. It doesn't mention
parkinson's but why not give the idea a try:

http://my.opera.com/Weatherlawyer/bl...omment92800852

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 14, 10:43*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

You are only 56 and out of work. That says a lot about you.

You punch young people in the testicles.
That says you shouldn't be allowed near youngsters.
And aught to be registered with the local plod.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 13:30:58 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

fred wrote:
In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 08:54:08 +0100, MM wrote:

That's assuming I make it that far,
just been diagnosed with Parkinson's. B-(

Balls, sorry to hear that Dave. I hope you are making plans to burn all
your money doing as many fun things as you can before it takes the best
of you?

Take lots of E - apparently its the dogs ******** for that.

Apparently in parts of Yorkshire they take it by rubbing it in around
their teeth.

Usually known as "E by gum".

LOL!

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Thing I don't think has been mentioned is that those who could work
later in life are also the ones more likely to have an occupational
pension. Manual workers the least likely.

Didn't think an employee could avoid paying into a pension scheme these
days. You either paid into one organised(*) by the employer or you have
to opt out and pay into one of your own.

How about all the short term contract, casual, or freelance?

And don't just take the default option (with personal pensions) of the
'with profits fund'. The Aviva WPF is currently paying an annual bonus
of 1.25%. In other words your fund is losing money year by year, and if
you try and switch to another fund they will cream-off a 'market
valuation reduction' (that's an exit charge in normal speak).

Over a forty year period won't go far wrong with a fund invested in
international equities.

And watch out for annual charges. Anything over 1% is a rip-off.

Also, if you don't have an employer-funded scheme then anyone not paying
40% tax may be better off simply adding money to a share isa that is
invested in the HSBC FTSE100 tracker - only 0.25% charges (plus platform
fees). Vanguard are another low-charge provider.

PS what was the plasterer using on those walls. Looked like lumpy
distemper to me, and he finished it off with what looked like a yard
brush. And the building had no roof, so leaked like a sieve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jul 15, 11:03 am, Weatherlawyer wrote:
You punch young people in the testicles.
That says you shouldn't be allowed near youngsters.
And aught to be registered with the local plod.

What as - a Special Constable ?

Under no circumstances am I ever going to join the police either as PC or as
PCSO. I have low standards to maintain.and I am not prepared to lower them.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Jul 15, 5:52 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
What as - a Special Constable ?

Under no circumstances am I ever going to join the police either as
PC or as PCSO. I have low standards to maintain.and I am not
prepared to lower them.

MoD Guarding?

I do not have a problem with guarding the MoD:-)

Just keep me away from the thick as **** SY police.

"Justice with courage" my arse.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2012 19:13, Owain wrote:
On Jul 15, 5:52 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
What as - a Special Constable ?

Under no circumstances am I ever going to join the police either as PC or as
PCSO. I have low standards to maintain.and I am not prepared to lower them.

MoD Guarding?

G4S need a few security guards for some event in East London....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:
G4S need a few security guards for some event in East London....

Seemingly if they could read this they're over qualified to apply.

--
*Happiness is seeing your mother-in-law on a milk carton

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Jul 15, 9:20 pm, John Williamson
wrote:
G4S need a few security guards for some event in East London....

I don't have a neck thicker than my IQ.

The average would only be 100 mm, most peoples necks are thicker than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Jul 16, 8:07 am, "dennis@home" wrote:
I don't have a neck thicker than my IQ.

The average would only be 100 mm, most peoples necks are thicker than
that.

I was working in inches.

Owain

You must be older than me (don't ask geof, he got it wrong).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , John Williamson
escribió:

G4S need a few security guards for some event in East London....

Had to laugh at Steve Bell's cartoon in the Grauniad depicting Nick
Buckles as Mr Chuckles complete with his coterie of security
guards^W^Wclowns.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...12/jul/18/g4s-
olympic-security-cartoon

--