Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laying grass up to block paving

Hi guys....
A friend has just had block paving all the way round the garden with a
section left in the middle for doing whatever with ... soil
/grass/pebbles etc.
They want grass (fresh topsoil and then seeded)
Can you grow grass right up to the block paving with the haunching being
there. (within 1/4 inch of the top of paving in some places)
Surely the grass will die around the edges.

I thought as they have lots of spare blocks to go around with a single
line of blocks approx 6 inch away from the blocks, bedded on some
concrete and that channel filled with small gravel.

Good idea, bad idea .... I don't know, any suggestions appreciated.

It's me not them that will be doing it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Red part of pic between 1/4 and 1/2 inch
http://www.steveonline.info/202.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 11:33*pm, Justine Time wrote:
Hi guys....
A friend has just had block paving all the way round the garden with a
section left in the middle for doing whatever with ... soil
/grass/pebbles etc.
They want grass (fresh topsoil and then seeded)
Can you grow grass right up to the block paving with the haunching being
there. (within 1/4 inch of the top of paving *in some places)
Surely the grass will die around the edges.

I thought as they have lots of spare blocks to go around with a single
line of blocks approx 6 inch away from the blocks, bedded on some
concrete and that channel filled with small gravel.

Good idea, bad idea .... I don't know, any suggestions appreciated.

It's me not them that will be doing it.

No reason why not if there are no vehicals . It might go brown in
drought conditions but it will recover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2012 23:37, Justine Time wrote:
On 07/07/2012 23:33, Justine Time wrote:

Red part of pic between 1/4 and 1/2 inch
http://www.steveonline.info/202.html

As long as he doesn't mind cutting the grass back it will be fine.

The grass will spread out over a concrete drive at less than an inch
thick of turf quite happily through being walked on. Grass is very
robust and adaptable unless you are planning on bowling green quality.

The only consideration would be that a straight edge is much easier to
trim and keep neat looking than a zig-zag block paving edge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Justine Time
writes
Hi guys....
A friend has just had block paving all the way round the garden with a
section left in the middle for doing whatever with ... soil
/grass/pebbles etc.
They want grass (fresh topsoil and then seeded)
Can you grow grass right up to the block paving with the haunching being
there. (within 1/4 inch of the top of paving in some places)
Surely the grass will die around the edges.

I thought as they have lots of spare blocks to go around with a single
line of blocks approx 6 inch away from the blocks, bedded on some
concrete and that channel filled with small gravel.

Good idea, bad idea .... I don't know, any suggestions appreciated.

Grass up to the paving is fine, have done it this way and have had no
problems, easy to cut too.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2012 09:53, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/07/2012 23:37, Justine Time wrote:
On 07/07/2012 23:33, Justine Time wrote:

Red part of pic between 1/4 and 1/2 inch
http://www.steveonline.info/202.html

As long as he doesn't mind cutting the grass back it will be fine.

The grass will spread out over a concrete drive at less than an inch
thick of turf quite happily through being walked on. Grass is very
robust and adaptable unless you are planning on bowling green quality.

The only consideration would be that a straight edge is much easier to
trim and keep neat looking than a zig-zag block paving edge.

I don't nearly want to muck about with this one brick border thing at
all. Just like to topsoil it all and have the grass grow right up to the
paving. Do you think I should do that..... see how it goes for 6 months
or so and if necessary could cut out a border then and lay a single
brick all the way round.
Another factor is the person who wants it doing and if we do the brick
border idea, is she wants the grass to be not flush with the top of the
brick border but be 1/2 inch below. The idea being no grass will then go
into the pebbled border. I did point out that she will then have to trim
the grass at the edges after using the mower. Adamant that is how she
wants it. She is in her 70's
My son had similar job done and he just membraned the old soil and threw
down slate .... job done , very smart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , Justine Time
writes
Hi guys....
A friend has just had block paving all the way round the garden with a
section left in the middle for doing whatever with ... soil
/grass/pebbles etc.
They want grass (fresh topsoil and then seeded)
Can you grow grass right up to the block paving with the haunching being
there. (within 1/4 inch of the top of paving in some places)
Surely the grass will die around the edges.

I thought as they have lots of spare blocks to go around with a single
line of blocks approx 6 inch away from the blocks, bedded on some
concrete and that channel filled with small gravel.

Good idea, bad idea .... I don't know, any suggestions appreciated.

Grass up to the paving is fine, have done it this way and have had no
problems, easy to cut too.

You beat me to it Fred!

Yes it works a treat, I've just come in from cutting the grass in just
this arrangement. Blocks form a mowing edge. We tend to go round once a
year with a edging iron but most of the edge gets cut by swinging the
flymo onto the paving.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes
fred wrote:
[...]

Just happened to be passing ;-)

Mine definitely needs an edging but at the mo it's lucky to get a cut,
wot with all the rain. Just managed to give it the once over there,
still wet so not the best of jobs but it will do for now.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Minchin
writes

Yes it works a treat, I've just come in from cutting the grass in just
this arrangement. Blocks form a mowing edge. We tend to go round once a
year with a edging iron but most of the edge gets cut by swinging the
flymo onto the paving.

Oh and for proper bodgery I have cut into existing turf to lay an edging
with them too, levelled the base pretty well, added a dusting of loose
soil as reqd then whacked the blocks down with a mallet and they have
been stable ever since.

This was as a border between grass and gravel so there is support on
both sides but I was surprised it was so successful. No founds or
anything (in the old Victorian stylee.)
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .