Posted to uk.d-i-y
sbb sbb is offline

Default Grass/weeds in gaps on block paving due to stupidity

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Because of this stupid act I now have to practically mow the drive

I have tried weed killer etc but beacuse the soil is there they keep
coming back. What can I do to get the soil out from beween the gap,
are the are tools for doing this etc so I can put sand down again. I
have considered using a power washer on it but dont what push the so
soil in deeper.

Any advice given is appreciated.
Thanks
Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Because of this stupid act I now have to practically mow the drive

I have tried weed killer etc but beacuse the soil is there they keep
coming back. What can I do to get the soil out from beween the gap,
are the are tools for doing this etc so I can put sand down again. I
have considered using a power washer on it but dont what push the so
soil in deeper.

Any advice given is appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Don't beat yourself up over the soil thing :-)

I have a nice crop of lobelia coming up between my slabs, which are
thriving in 6" of rubble and sharp sand. IME plenty of things will grow
in nothing but sand because it holds moisture well without getting
waterlogged.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Because of this stupid act I now have to practically mow the drive

I have tried weed killer etc but beacuse the soil is there they keep
coming back. What can I do to get the soil out from beween the gap,
are the are tools for doing this etc so I can put sand down again. I
have considered using a power washer on it but dont what push the so
soil in deeper.

Any advice given is appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

I would go over it with a sodium chlorate weedkiller but bear in mind it's
toxic to animals. And oomans. Glyphosate is safer but only works on growing
leaves, and slowly at that.

Alternatively, white vinegar is supposed to be a good weedkiller, and
cornmeal prevents weed seeds rooting but I don't suppose you'd want to be
brushing that all over your drive.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sbb" wrote in message
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"sbb" wrote in message
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period until
five gallons has been absorbed, then apply a match.

Best idea yet.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sbb sbb is offline

Thanks all for all your replies, think setting the drive alight is a
bit over kill but guess could wait till Nov 5th to disguise it a
bit Wont all the weeds grow back tho, is there no way of removing
the dirt etc so the weeds/grass cant root.

Thanks again.

On 14 May, 12:57, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
George wrote:
"sbb" wrote in message
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period until
five gallons has been absorbed, then apply a match.

Best idea yet.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
George wrote:
"sbb" wrote in message
Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period until
five gallons has been absorbed, then apply a match.

Best idea yet.

Si

No dear,arson doesn't apply. :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
George wrote:
"sbb" wrote in message

Hi all, Thanks in advance for any replies.

About 2-3 years ago I had block paving installed on my drive and when
it first went down it looked so clean and bright and pink that I
stupidly brushed soild over it to dull the colour down.

Petrol,do it frequently for about twice a day over a weeks period

until
five gallons has been absorbed, then apply a match.

Best idea yet.

Si

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the
chance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the
chance.

Burn baby burn.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sbb sbb is offline

Thanks again all, Went out and got some sodium chlorate and will
scrape out all the paving weed tool I also bought frm B&Q. Alas they
did not sell petrol.

On 14 May, 14:03, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
George wrote:

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the
chance.

Burn baby burn.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
George wrote:

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the
chance.

Burn baby burn.

Si

Suit yourself but a council worker that does the weedkilling for a living
told me petrol and said "any stuff you can purchase out of the sheds is
money being poured down the drain".
The chemical the council use is not available to joe public.

oh! hum.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sbb wrote:

Thanks again all, Went out and got some sodium chlorate and will
scrape out all the paving weed tool I also bought frm B&Q. Alas they
did not sell petrol.

why use chlorate when you can use chloride. Non toxic, far cheaper,
and you dont need to go out to get it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
sbb wrote:

Thanks again all, Went out and got some sodium chlorate and will
scrape out all the paving weed tool I also bought frm B&Q. Alas they
did not sell petrol.

why use chlorate when you can use chloride. Non toxic, far cheaper,
and you dont need to go out to get it.

Toxic generally better!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote:

I would go over it with a sodium chlorate weedkiller but bear in mind it's
toxic to animals. And oomans. Glyphosate is safer but only works on growing
leaves, and slowly at that.

Good advice.

Alternatively, white vinegar is supposed to be a good weedkiller, and
cornmeal prevents weed seeds rooting but I don't suppose you'd want to be
brushing that all over your drive.

You can buy white vinegar in 5 litre containers from places like
Costco and Makro.

Brushing cornmeal is no worse than brushing sand. It has a fairly
strong yellow colour but that shouldn't be a problem if just the right
amount is used.

Personally, I would go for sodium chlorate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 14:37:41 GMT, "George"
wrote:

Suit yourself but a council worker that does the weedkilling for a living
told me petrol and said "any stuff you can purchase out of the sheds is
money being poured down the drain".
The chemical the council use is not available to joe public.

oh! hum.

Ah that lovely stuff that kills the grass and lets the annuals
flourish!

http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given the
chance.

Burn baby burn.

Disco Inferno, Trammps, 1977. Do I win a prize?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

MTST is a convicted arsonist and will set alight to anything given
the chance.

Burn baby burn.

Disco Inferno, Trammps, 1977. Do I win a prize?

John

Yes. All the sodium chlorate you can eat.

Si