Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft hatch catch sticking

Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Stupid laws, number 467: In America, it is illegal to put money in someone elses parking meter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

On Jul 2, 2:51*pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

This style work:

http://www.loftcentre.co.uk/catalog/...atch-assembly/

I ordered mine direct from the mfr, but I can't remember their
name ... adastra, or similar? they make loft ladders amongst other
things.

It has a rotary action and doesn't rely on bits of bent tin. I, too,
got sick of the shoddiness of the ones sold in the sheds.

IIRC mine didn't come with a 'key' - I made one from a bit of stell
bracket screwed to the end of a broom handle.

HTH
Jon N
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 17:04:11 +0100, jkn wrote:

On Jul 2, 2:51 pm, "Lieutenant Scott" wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

This style work:

http://www.loftcentre.co.uk/catalog/...atch-assembly/

I ordered mine direct from the mfr, but I can't remember their
name ... adastra, or similar? they make loft ladders amongst other
things.

It has a rotary action and doesn't rely on bits of bent tin. I, too,
got sick of the shoddiness of the ones sold in the sheds.

IIRC mine didn't come with a 'key' - I made one from a bit of stell
bracket screwed to the end of a broom handle.

HTH
Jon N

That sounds a better idea.
Although while looking for it on Ebay I came across this which looks good and a nice simple visible mechanism:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290659917862
Not as hidden away as yours, but it is shiny :-)

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A young blonde girl goes to the doctor for a physical. The doctor puts his stethoscope up to the girl's chest and says, "Big breaths."
The girl replies, "Yeth and I'm not even thixteen."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Yes. Been working flawlessly for a decade or so.
As near as dammit to the 80mm Toolstation job

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 19:17:03 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Yes. Been working flawlessly for a decade or so.
As near as dammit to the 80mm Toolstation job

A "touch latch"? That's what I've got. It isn't happy. The only thing I can think of is they are fussy about you fitting them EXACTLY lined up straight. Or that spare bit was important.....

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place. -- Steven Wright

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

http://www.loftcentre.co.uk/catalog/...e_category/1/i...

I ordered mine direct from the mfr, but I can't remember their
name ... adastra, or similar? they make loft ladders amongst other
things.

It has a rotary action and doesn't rely on bits of bent tin. I, too,
got sick of the shoddiness of the ones sold in the sheds.

IIRC mine didn't come with a 'key' - I made one from a bit of steel
bracket screwed to the end of a broom handle.

* * HTH
* * Jon N

That sounds a better idea.
Although while looking for it on Ebay I came across this which looks good and a nice simple visible mechanism:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290659917862
Not as hidden away as yours, but it is shiny :-)

I think I came across those myself at the time ... can't remember why
I rejected them. It may be because of the way the outer moulding/
architrave on our ladder is arranged, there would have been a degree
of bodging required.

J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 22:29:06 +0100, jkn wrote:

[...]

If yours looks remotely like mine, the ladder is nowhere near the catch.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

How to interpret a Pregnancy Test kit:
Blue means not pregnant.
Pink means pregnant.
Brown means you had it in the wrong hole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 20:13, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

A "touch latch"? That's what I've got. It isn't happy. The only thing
I can think of is they are fussy about you fitting them EXACTLY lined up
straight. Or that spare bit was important.....

Er, yes it was. It was a template to ensure that, um, you EXACTLY lined
up the components straight...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:50:01 +0100, Lobster wrote:

On 02/07/2012 20:13, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

A "touch latch"? That's what I've got. It isn't happy. The only thing
I can think of is they are fussy about you fitting them EXACTLY lined up
straight. Or that spare bit was important.....

Er, yes it was. It was a template to ensure that, um, you EXACTLY lined
up the components straight...

Which never works as the screws always shift a bit as you put them in if you're as clumsy as me.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

"Smoking is one of the leading causes of statistics." - Fletcher Knebel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Ours just says "AUTO LATCH" and has worked flawlessly for at least 25 years.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gravity holds my loft latches in place, no hinges.
Thinking about draught strip and kingspan on top,
how to seal against slight draughts?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hatches no latches

On 03/07/12 16:36, george ~ dicegeorge wrote:
Gravity holds my loft Hatches in place, no hinges.
Thinking about draught strip and kingspan on top,
how to seal against slight draughts?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:10:42 +0100, Reentrant wrote:

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Ours just says "AUTO LATCH" and has worked flawlessly for at least 25 years.

I'm in my loft every day!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newsp.wgvm7bkxytk5n5@i7-940...
wrote:

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Ours just says "AUTO LATCH" and has worked flawlessly for at least 25
years.

I'm in my loft every day!

That's because you are a pikey **** who will not pay for a professional job.
I remember something about the gypsies shafting you?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 02/07/2012 14:51, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused
to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep
pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously
fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Ours just says "AUTO LATCH" and has worked flawlessly for at least 25
years.

I'm in my loft every day!

That's because you are a pikey **** who will not pay for a professional job.
I remember something about the gypsies shafting you?

Nobody in here pays for a professional job. This is a DIY group. Do you know what DIY means?

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere near the place. -- Steven Wright

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:04:11 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

This style work:

http://www.loftcentre.co.uk/catalog/...atch-assembly/

£12.50 for that? For a pack of four, yes, but one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2012 16:36:59 +0100, george ~ dicegeorge
wrote:

Gravity holds my loft latches in place, no hinges.
Thinking about draught strip and kingspan on top,
how to seal against slight draughts?

Exactly as mine is.
I've been thinking of small rubber Mini bonnet straps.

Loft Hatch Roger Cain[_3_] UK diy 10 February 10th 11 04:25 PM
Draughtproofing a Loft Hatch george [dicegeorge] UK diy 5 December 5th 10 08:35 PM
Fitting loft hatch AA UK diy 1 September 19th 08 04:58 PM
loft hatch Sam UK diy 15 November 28th 07 01:13 PM
Loft Hatch Insulation Topref UK diy 8 November 27th 07 08:21 PM