Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gas hob, control stuck

There's the standard 2 x2 layout of burners, the control knobs run up the
right hand side. I don't know the make or model, it's built in to the
worktop & was already there before we moved in. Possibly before we were
born, if the rest of the place is anything to go by.

Normally, they park at the 9 o'clock position, you press down and turn
(CCW) to 6 for max (and to ignite). Min is roughly at 4.

Here's the problem: the one at the back (controls rear right) has been
giving problems. For a few days it would turn without pressing. Now it
won't turn at all.

Taking off the plastic knobs, I see that the D-section rod sits lower By
perhaps 3 or 4 mm) than the other three which are all working OK. I also
see that the mechanism on this one is well mucky and the others
aren't. I suspect Mrs Hog's Eyetie coffee machine (the octagonal screw-
apart type, like a Bialetti) has spilled onto it and gunked it up.

Any ideas other than dousing it in WD40 and/or writhing at it with mole
grips?

Yes, I'll probably turn off the master valve before doing anything. If I
forget, wave as I pass over.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 4:51*pm, Hognoxious
wrote:
[...]

Same as ever with such things, take it apart to see what's come
adrift, and rebuild correctly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 4:51*pm, Hognoxious
wrote:
[...]

Turn the gas off, strip the offending unit, clean and regrease
(sparingly) with approved gas tap grease. If its been "dry" for some
time the plug and barrel may be damaged and some parts could be
required. Leak test on completion!

Radio Control Varmint Control RogerN Metalworking 43 March 10th 09 03:45 AM
Maytag "Touch Control 500" Range Control Panel [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 26th 09 11:04 AM
TRV stuck Fred UK diy 35 November 26th 07 07:12 AM
please help...I am stuck! Apkesh Home Repair 8 April 29th 04 01:52 PM
TV Remote Control rubber pad(UR50CT1071) used in remote control for Panasonic TV Model TX-29GF10X Steve Electronics Repair 4 November 1st 03 02:27 PM