Apkesh

Default please help...I am stuck!

Hi, I bought a home entertainment unit and just completed cutting
holes into drywall (2"x 2.5"), 'fishing' the wire through the wall
cavity. Unfortunately, I didn't take into account, for the panels to
remain well secured to the wall, I must cut the hole right next to the
frame. Instead, I just aligned it according to where the sofa is and
now I am having a hard time mounting just the plates alone with 2
screws (the drywall is chipping because of the small distance between
the hold and where the screw is going in!)

To give you a better idea, here's a pic of the plates I am using:
http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...s/163172_4.jpg

Now that I've put the holes in the centre of the frame, is there any
thing I can do to make sure the plates remain secured to the drywall?
Is there any sort of brackets they sell for these kind of jobs? Please
help, I am a newby and just trying to learn from my costly mistakes
apkesh
rck

You may want to put an electrical outlet box behind the plate. Go to your
local hardware store and ask for a Jiffy box. It slides into the hole, you
tighten two screws and it clamps against the drywall from the back. Doesn't
have to be near a stud.

Bob

"Apkesh" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tom

om...

http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/...lus/163172_4.j
pg

Now that I've put the holes in the centre of the frame, is there any
thing I can do to make sure the plates remain secured to the drywall?
Is there any sort of brackets they sell for these kind of jobs? Please
help, I am a newby and just trying to learn from my costly mistakes
apkesh

They do make a plate especially for this purpose. Has ears that swing out
to hold behind the drywall. Should be able to find them where they sell
the coax cable and phone wire at Home Depot. At least that is where they
are at Menard's. You can also buy an electrical outlet box that you mount
(has the ears) and then run your wires through that and use the plate you
bought but you would have to cut a bigger hole in your drywall.
Tom.

Curmudgeon

Yes, there are such things. Imagine two metal strips...maybe 3/8" wide and
2 inches wider than your plate. In the center is a tapped hole that matches
the thread of your top and bottom screws. One strip is attached to each
screw, and and slipped into the hole you've cut so it is on the back side of
the drywall. As you tighten the screws, they pull the strips of metal tight
against the backside of the drywall and hold your plate securely to the
wall.
You could make them yourself out of metal or even wood...or you could check
at Radio Shack and they should have plates with these kind of brackets.
Buy it, keep the metal brackets and use them on your plate...throw the
other wallplate away.

"Apkesh" wrote in message
om...
[...]

zxcvbob

Tom wrote:
"Apkesh" wrote in message
om...

[...]

This is 110V electrical, or low voltage speaker wires and coax and
stuff? Let's assume it is 110V, because you can use the same thing for
low voltage. You want some kind of "old work" outlet box. My favorite
is to use a metal gang box with plaster ears, and clip it in place with
metal clips that look something like this:

|----
|---

You put one of the clips on each side of the box, behind the plaster,
and bend the tabs in to hold the box in place. The plaster ears keep
the box from falling back into the wall, and the clips keep the box from
falling out forwards -- together, they hold it pretty tight, but it's
easy to remove later if you ever want to.

clips, and use whatever kind looks the best to you.

Best regards,
Bob

Don Young

Home Depot (and others) have electrical outlet boxes designed to be fastened
into drywall with clips on the sides. You would have to enlarge the hole for
the box. The plate you show would not atttach directly to the box but there
are plates available which will. Another possibility is to get the outlet
that plate fits and remove the metal strap from it. The strap could then go
behind the drywall with long screws securing it and the plate together. Tape
the strap behind the drywall if necessary to get the screws installed. Hope
this helps.
Don Young

"Apkesh" wrote in message
om...
[...]

zxcvbob

Is this gonna just be an wall plate with no box behind it? Get 2
identical wall plates and put one on each side of the hole. Put about a
1.5 inch flat-head machine screw through the screw holes and put a nut
on the back. You can get the nut on the back through the 1.25" hole in
the center. Don't tighten too tight or it will crack the plastic
plates. If won't tighten enough to hold tight, put a little bead of
construction adhesive on the back side of front plate.

Best regards,
Bob

Don Young wrote:
Home Depot (and others) have electrical outlet boxes designed to be fastened
into drywall with clips on the sides. You would have to enlarge the hole for
the box. The plate you show would not atttach directly to the box but there
are plates available which will. Another possibility is to get the outlet
that plate fits and remove the metal strap from it. The strap could then go
behind the drywall with long screws securing it and the plate together. Tape
the strap behind the drywall if necessary to get the screws installed. Hope
this helps.
Don Young

"Apkesh" wrote in message
om...

[...]

RB

There are numerous types of brackets available for just what you are
trying to do. One is shown in the link below. There are tabs (black in
this case) at the top and bottom that swing out as it is tightened which
clamp the device to to drywall.

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product.asp?id=EBR-SC100R

Note that this is only to be used for low voltage wiring. If you are
running 120 volts it must be in an enclosed box. The same type of
device is available at Home Depot or the like in an enclosed (box)
configuration.

Below is another bracket, also available at HD if they can find them
;-). Here the metal bracket is place on the room side of the drywall
and the tabs are bent behind the drywall to hold it in place. Same
caveats w/r 120 volts.

http://www.milestek.com/shop/product...emise+ Wiring

RB

Apkesh wrote:
[...]

Apkesh

Thank you guys all for your help on this matter. I thought there was
no fix for this 'mess' I thoght I had created, but I am glad there is
one (or many)! I was about to be put on probation by Mrs not to work
on the house any more, but you guys saved me