Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hand drill

My father's hand drill (1957) is on its last legs and I think I would like
a new one. The Stanleys on Amazon get fairly poor reviews. Any
recommendations?

Geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff Pearson wrote:

My father's hand drill (1957) is on its last legs and I think I would like
a new one. The Stanleys on Amazon get fairly poor reviews. Any
recommendations?

Car boot sales. They are a regular 'appearer' in the box of old tools
under the camping table. 50p ish.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a Stanley Continental No748A in pretty good used condition which
I never use. Wondered if it had any value. I'd guess it's '50s or '60s.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Agreed on the car boot sale bit.

Try to find one with dual pinion gears (one at the 'head' end, one at
the drill end). They work a lot better and are a bit of a mark of
quality.

I have a couple of old 'Footprint' brand hand drills. They are painted
blue and don't look like much, but they have:

- dual pinion as above
- a chuck with a key!
- replaceable handle; you can loosen a grub screw and fit a 'breast
plate' end, for more leverage.

Although the handle grub screw loosens sometimes, these are head &
shoulders better than most hand drills.

there's one on eBay with a photo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint-...em2 56489c878

HTH
J^n
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 16, 8:38*am, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
My father's hand drill (1957) *is on its last legs and I think I would like
a new one. *The Stanleys on Amazon get fairly poor reviews. *Any
recommendations?

Geoff

freecycle is another option

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 02:56:08 -0700 (PDT), jkn
wrote:

Agreed on the car boot sale bit.

Try to find one with dual pinion gears (one at the 'head' end, one at
the drill end). They work a lot better and are a bit of a mark of
quality.

I have a couple of old 'Footprint' brand hand drills. They are painted
blue and don't look like much, but they have:

- dual pinion as above
- a chuck with a key!
- replaceable handle; you can loosen a grub screw and fit a 'breast
plate' end, for more leverage.

Although the handle grub screw loosens sometimes, these are head &
shoulders better than most hand drills.

there's one on eBay with a photo:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Footprint-...em2 56489c878

I'm still using my old Qualcast one. Example he
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/miyq...YYldVw/140.jpg

I bought it in nineteen sixty-mumble and it's still going strong.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
NT wrote:
On May 16, 8:38 am, "Geoff Pearson" wrote:
My father's hand drill (1957) is on its last legs and I think I would
like a new one. The Stanleys on Amazon get fairly poor reviews. Any
recommendations?

Geoff

freecycle is another option

Strangely, decent hand tools very rarely come up on my local one. Maybe
the odd wallpaper steamer that takes up a lot of space.

--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:37:53 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

I'm still using my old Qualcast one. Example he
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/miyq...YYldVw/140.jpg

Pixie size?

#3 Morse Taper Hand Drill?!? Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Metalworking 22 July 15th 10 12:57 PM
Stanley Hand Drill 5803 [email protected] UK diy 4 September 16th 06 01:49 AM
Underground, quarrying, mining, air-leg, jack-leg, hand-held rock drills, button bit, drag bits,drill rod, drill tube, drill bit, core bit, core barrel, diamonde core bit, DTH hammer, taper rod, integral drill rod, taper bit, rock drilling tools wangsbin Woodturning 0 September 1st 06 07:34 AM
Need help in removing drill chuck from Sears Reversible Variable Speed Hand Drill Roger Hull Metalworking 10 January 22nd 05 10:48 AM
hand drill, eggbeater type Charlie Self Woodworking 14 July 15th 03 05:07 PM