Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default burglar alarm

I know I going to have to read up on this but maybe someone can save me
a bit of time. I'm not looking for anything too sophisticated and I
don't want to be a slave to the engineer that installs it. Just a basic
bell box and a probably impact sensors front and back.
Security lighting required at the back but I want to avoid the huge
floodlight types. Would be nice if the sensitivity could be controlled
by remote from indoors perhaps?
Basically, I'm just trying to stop someone buying the first alarm they
see. TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
I know I going to have to read up on this but maybe someone can save
me a bit of time. I'm not looking for anything too sophisticated and I
don't want to be a slave to the engineer that installs it. Just a
basic bell box and a probably impact sensors front and back.
Security lighting required at the back but I want to avoid the huge
floodlight types. Would be nice if the sensitivity could be controlled
by remote from indoors perhaps?
Basically, I'm just trying to stop someone buying the first alarm they
see. TIA

Veritas are IMHO not too bad alarms.

Not sure about the lighting though. How big an area is it covering.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/05/2012 16:21, ARWadsworth wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
I know I going to have to read up on this but maybe someone can save
me a bit of time. I'm not looking for anything too sophisticated and I
don't want to be a slave to the engineer that installs it. Just a
basic bell box and a probably impact sensors front and back.
Security lighting required at the back but I want to avoid the huge
floodlight types. Would be nice if the sensitivity could be controlled
by remote from indoors perhaps?
Basically, I'm just trying to stop someone buying the first alarm they
see. TIA

Veritas are IMHO not too bad alarms.

Not sure about the lighting though. How big an area is it covering.

Yes, we had one of those for years, but didn't bother with it after we
got a cat. ISTR the guy who fitted was some kind of genius at hiding wiring.
The wireless type seem quite reliable these days but having so many
things with batteries to replace could become a pain, especially the
siren box. Alright if you can fish it in through the window I suppose,
but does the average person want to get up a ladder to change a battery?
The thinking seems to be that a box on the wall is enough to deter the
average scrote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think it's mostly about deterrance so a decent bell box with a pulsating light on it is a good start.

I reckon that most people ignore a burglar alarm going off and thieves know this so once they are in they work quickly, safe in the knowledge that nobody will turn up in the first five minutes. Based on this fact my alarm has "sound bombs" inside the house so that when the alarm goes off it's so unbearable to be inside the house that they'll want to leave at once - empty handed I hope.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Just read this thread so may be out of date but FYI depending on budget the
Risco (guardtec) CPX panel is easy to fit and has a remote (wired ) keypad
will support 9 zones and has an inbuilt dialler with 4 number capability.
A cheaper option is the Optima compact 6 or Veritas 8 both reliable in home
use.
The CPX & Optima have programamble outputs which you could relay switch to
an outside light.
Satchwell & CQR do a specific pir controller switching unit for outside
lighting but you'll get no change out of £100 for a set up.

Radio systems (not the DIY kits) have Lithium iron batteries these days and
last around 3 yrs before reporting low to the panel.
Even the full radio external bells hold up for 2 to 3 yrs if you don't have
too many alarms.
Again cost is the key and like everything these days "You gets wot you pays
for."
If you need any further info repost and I'll try and help.
regards

stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 10:00 AM
burglar alarm andrew UK diy 17 April 26th 09 09:03 AM
Burglar alarm Fred UK diy 4 January 21st 08 04:33 PM
Burglar alarm Frenchy UK diy 9 September 15th 05 06:44 PM