Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrically driven compressor

I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole. I
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK & sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time I
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!
The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2012 05:55, Roberts wrote:
I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole. I
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK& sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time I
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!
The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

Robbie

Stuck one-way valve on the cylinder output causing crankcase compression?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 5:55*am, "Roberts" wrote:
I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole. I
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK & sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time I
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!
The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

Robbie

Yes. Piston rings stuck/worn. Or just worn piston. Some cheapos don't
have rings.
They usually draw air in via an air filter. But not from a warm
source, that would be self defeating.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 9, 5:55*am, "Roberts" wrote:
I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole. I
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK & sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time I
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!
The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

Robbie

BTW. They don't all have pistons, there are various rotary designs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_compressor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2012 05:55, Roberts wrote:
I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole. I
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK& sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time I
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!

Stealing part of your pension? Some of us still have to work and have
no pension, and have some of our hard earned money taken away to pay for
the likes of satellite TV for those that don't work. You could work as
well and actually make some contribution to society.

The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

A model type and number would be useful. It does sound like a lot of
blow-by past piston rings. They may fee up over time otherwise I can't
see any alternative to a strip down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Deane wrote:
[...]

or worn rings. Or piston/cylinder.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2012 11:06, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

Worth pouring penetrating oil into cylinder and leaving it to soak, in
that case
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

Dear Fred

When I was due to start work I had an idea where I wanted to work but my
father said that job does not carry a pension find a job where you will get
a pension at the end of it. I listened to my father (for once!) and got a
job with a lot less pay but with a pension.which I had to contribute to. Now
people seem to begrudge that! I am now 75 years old with three serious
illneses COPD, Insulin dependent diabetes & another which I can't spell but
still do voluntary work and with the associated paperwork it is almost a
full time job.
So is that enough for you.
I have also seen combat while in the British/Arab Army
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:
I have a problem with my compressor blowing air out of the dipstick hole.
cannot see where it draws in the air in the first place. Does it draw in
air
via the cooling fan for the electric motor or what? It runs OK & sounds OK
but can't reach working pressure. As it has not been used for a long time
suspect the piston rings are seized up. Any of the great brains out there
got any better ideas or should I say sensible comments I can't afford a
new
one due to the government stealing my part of my pension!
The compressor runs off a normal 13 amp socket and is the normal el cheapo
version on sale under different names.
Thanks in advance

Robbie

Blow-by caused by worn piston rings or cylinder walls, or stuck rings,
lack of oil or absence of rings. If you stick some oil into the air
intake its quite likely to fix it for a while.

NT
This was the reason for me asking, I cannot see where the air is drawn in.
The only place seems to be where the air is drawn in over the electric motor
which does not sound very probable. Being electricly powered there is no
convenient sparking plug hole or carb to squirt it in
Thanks NT
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:56:21 +0100, Roberts wrote:

Blow-by caused by worn piston rings or cylinder walls, or stuck

rings,
lack of oil or absence of rings.

This was the reason for me asking, I cannot see where the air is drawn
in.

The air will be drawn in where it is supposed to be, on the
compression stroke it then escapes past the cylinder into the crank
case. When the piston comes back down it forces the air out of the
dipstick hole (or any other holes in the crankcase.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 11:56*am, "Roberts" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:

[...]

A piece of paper should help show where the air goes in. Having it
flow over or through the motor is likely.

It probably has some sort of filter on the intake, oil needs to go in
after that, so you'll likely need to unscrew something. Hopefully the
oil will do a fine job of restoring compression.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:56:21 +0100, Roberts wrote:

Blow-by caused by worn piston rings or cylinder walls, or stuck

rings,
lack of oil or absence of rings.

This was the reason for me asking, I cannot see where the air is drawn
in.

The air will be drawn in where it is supposed to be, on the
compression stroke it then escapes past the cylinder into the crank
case. When the piston comes back down it forces the air out of the
dipstick hole (or any other holes in the crankcase.

--
Cheers
Dave.

As I said before I can not see where the air is being drawn in. It seems
that the only possibility is that it is being drawn in through the electric
mtor and into the engine somewhere. I suppose I will have to take the
electric motor apart to see how it enters the commpressor. I was trying to
avoid that because of lots of cables and various nuts and bolts. After 17
years of retirement I'm a bit rusty (& lazy!) I do understand the 2 & 4
stroke cycle and multicylinder 2 stroke opposed piston diesels
Robbie
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 00:30, Roberts wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

Can you provide a model number and manufacturer? How old is it?

I'm puzzled it's not obvious where the intake is. Is the head
removable? I'm starting to wonder what type of compressor it is, and
whether it's not of the piston variety. Normally the valves and piping
are clearly visible on top!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 16/05/2012 00:30, Roberts wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

A lot of compressors are rotary vane

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
On 16/05/2012 00:30, Roberts wrote:
"Dave wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

To be honest I've only seen smaller vacuum pumps which are rotary vane,
and some very large compressors, but not smaller workshop compressors.

It could be that this is a vacuum pump after all with the exhaust gases
vented into the "crankcase" but without any further info from Robbie
we're all in the dark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:

[...]

The saga continues! I have removed the cylinderhead/barrell asembly and I am
not much wiser. The air must be drawn in through one of the lugs on the cyl.
head I will clean it off and see what I can when it gets lighter tomorrow
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:

[...]

For those of you who have not lost interest. On examining the barrel/head
assy after cleaning, there was a small plastic cap on the side of the cyl
head. When I removed this cap it had a number of small holes facing the
barrel which lined up with two slots in the head so that mystery is solved.
It has all been reassembled but mounted yet. When I am not keeping the
local hospital busy, I will do that.

Many thanks Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:

[...]

If you've removed the cylinder head, why dont you put the oil there in
the cylinder or equivalent

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On May 9, 5:55 am, "Roberts" wrote:

[...]

I did not do that because I wanted the oil to go in at the start of the
induction process just incase there were stuck valves. The piston rings were
not seized surprise surprise!
See note of 29th
Robbie

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]