Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default egg shell paint yellowing?

We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Wendy
wrote
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Was it Dulux paint?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/03/dulux.html
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 22:20:09 +0100, Alan
wrote:

In message , Wendy
wrote
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Was it Dulux paint?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/03/dulux.html

I've always found Dulux to be one of the better paints (much better
than Crown, for example), but I never use any "brilliant white"
titanium dioxide-bearing paint.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Wendy
wrote
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain
type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Was it Dulux paint?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/03/dulux.html
--
Alan

Yes its Dulux but its only yellowing in the bathroom and its egg shell not
gloss.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2012 14:52, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:04:30 PM UTC+1, Wendy wrote:
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Use a water based paint like the quick-drying acrylic paints. They are very hard to avoid brush marks showing though, since they dry too quickly.
The oil-based paints always go yellow eventually. Apparently with the new reduced VOC recipes this has got worse.

For large areas like doors use a foam roller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 24, 9:04*pm, "Wendy" wrote:
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

What I find perplexing is the way that some white paint seems to go
yellow where it is *not* exposed to sunlight. I painted a window sill
about 2 years ago with Crown Solo gloss white, then stood a pot on it.
I confess that nobody moved the pot for the whole time. When I did
move it, a yellowed circle was visible on the otherwise still-white
surface.

Regards
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A strange thing about solvent-based paint is that it gets darker if left in the dark (you might expect the opposite). Is your bathroom fairly gloomy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On Apr 24, 9:04 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain
type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

What I find perplexing is the way that some white paint seems to go
yellow where it is *not* exposed to sunlight. I painted a window sill
about 2 years ago with Crown Solo gloss white, then stood a pot on it.
I confess that nobody moved the pot for the whole time. When I did
move it, a yellowed circle was visible on the otherwise still-white
surface.

Regards
Richard

Any suggestions on the best way to prepare the yellowing paint prior to
using water based egg shell paint? The door is the raised wood grain type so
sanding is not an option.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you really can't sand down, sugar soap is your next best option.

But I'm not sure I understand what you mean about raised wood grain. Is this an artificial wood effect texture? If so and it is fairly shallow, you may be able to use a flexible sanding sponge which will get into the troughs without taking too much off the peaks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alamaison" wrote in message
If you really can't sand down, sugar soap is your next best option.

But I'm not sure I understand what you mean about raised wood grain. Is this
an artificial wood effect texture? If so and it is fairly shallow, you may
be able to use a flexible sanding sponge which will get into the troughs
without taking too much off the peaks.

Google reveals we have grained fire doors, they do have an artificial
texture.

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:04:30 PM UTC+1, Wendy wrote:
We have our doors painted with eggshell paint, they are the wood grain
type.

The inside of the bathroom is yellowing, its been repainted 6 months or
so
ago with the same result.

Any suggestions for a similar paint or finish that wont yellow?

Use a water based paint like the quick-drying acrylic paints. They are
very hard to avoid brush marks showing though, since they dry too quickly.

The oil-based paints always go yellow eventually.

Mine havent in 40 years now. Corse they are dark brown.

Apparently with the new reduced VOC recipes this has got worse.