Berniez

Default Hardwood floor yellowing

I have a prefinished Hardwood floor in my kitchen. Polyuerethane finish.
We have a rug over the area where the kitchen table is. That section
under the rug looks new. The surrounding areas look yellowish or darker
by comparison. Is there a cleaner to restore the floor to the original
look short of a refinishing. The floor is about 5 years old.
Bernie

tpapa

Bernie,

You can probably attribute the yellowing to sun exposure - but you probably
knew that. There is little that I know of to restore that floor without
refinishing. This is similar to the way fabric colors fade after sun
exposure - like a sofa in front of a window.

I do believe that there are some newer UV resistant polyurathanes out now.

Out of curiosity, what brand of floor is it? Bruce? There are some pretty
significant warranties on that stuff that may cover your problems.

If you go to the trouble of refinishing the floors you can also consider
some UV window film. There are some brands out there that block 90% of UV
and you'd never know that it's on the window. I had some of this installed
last year and love it. It keeps the house cooler in the summer, helps on
carpet fade, and it's quite affordable. I recommend going with a pro for
the install though.

Hope that helps.

"Berniez" wrote in message
I have a prefinished Hardwood floor in my kitchen. Polyuerethane finish.
We have a rug over the area where the kitchen table is. That section
under the rug looks new. The surrounding areas look yellowish or darker
by comparison. Is there a cleaner to restore the floor to the original
look short of a refinishing. The floor is about 5 years old.
Bernie

m Ransley

no, polyurethane yellows

m Ransley

it will yellow without uv but more with it. I have area rugs on oak with
poly for 10 yrs , no difference under the rug and for most that time
just plain glass. But id say the the finish is realy to blame , and for
me credit as i used the best i could get P& L and I have 7 coats. It
has yellowed but evenly.

tpapa

ok - do you find that yellowing cause by UV?

"m Ransley" wrote in message
no, polyurethane yellows