Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Painting the unglazed edge of wall tiles

For various reasons I can't use an edge strip on some tiling I need to
do, so will finish the edge with a small fillet of grout (or maybe
silicone). The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover
the whole of the edge. They're also thicker than usual. To stop any
of the brown unglazed edge showing through, I thought I might paint
the edge before sticking them up.

Question is, what's the best way to paint it? Clearly, 'tile paint'
is only designed to cover the glazed surface. Would a regular primer,
undercoat, gloss approach work (which might give the best outcome) or
would it be better to use emulsion? Maybe seal with some PVA first?
I have a vision of the tile sucking most of the water from any paint
pretty quickly...

Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

For various reasons I can't use an edge strip on some tiling I need to
do, so will finish the edge with a small fillet of grout (or maybe
silicone). The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover
the whole of the edge. They're also thicker than usual. To stop any
of the brown unglazed edge showing through, I thought I might paint
the edge before sticking them up.

Question is, what's the best way to paint it? Clearly, 'tile paint'
is only designed to cover the glazed surface. Would a regular primer,
undercoat, gloss approach work (which might give the best outcome) or
would it be better to use emulsion? Maybe seal with some PVA first?
I have a vision of the tile sucking most of the water from any paint
pretty quickly...

Cheers

IME emulsion works fine. I had already applied grout sealer to teh edges so
that may have helped.

I just ran the wall paint half over the exposed edge - enough to cover the
brown biscuit.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:44:58 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover the whole of
the edge.

That's why they make edge tiles... though probably not avaialable for
the cheaper end of the rage wall tiles, plastic edging strip is
cheaper. Can't think of any reasons why edging strip can't be used
either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 9:44*am, GMM wrote:
For various reasons I can't use an edge strip on some tiling I need to
do, so will finish the edge with a small fillet of grout (or maybe
silicone). *The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover
the whole of the edge. *They're also thicker than usual. *To stop any
of the brown unglazed edge showing through, I thought I might paint
the edge before sticking them up.

Question is, what's the best way to paint it? *Clearly, 'tile paint'
is only designed to cover the glazed surface. *Would a regular primer,
undercoat, gloss approach work (which might give the best outcome) or
would it be better to use emulsion? * Maybe seal with some PVA first?
I have a vision of the tile sucking most of the water from any paint
pretty quickly...

Cheers

No need to prepaint them, just let the wall emulsion paint cover the
tile edges too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Apr 19, 10:03*am, Tim Watts wrote:
GMM wrote:
[...]

Thanks Tim - I'll give it a go with some emulsion

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Apr 19, 10:13*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:44:58 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:
The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover the whole of
the edge.

That's why they make edge tiles... though probably not avaialable for
the cheaper end of the rage wall tiles, plastic edging strip is
cheaper. Can't think of any reasons why edging strip can't be used
either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I'd love to find a source of edge tiles but haven't seen them for
years. Edging strip is a bit of a pain and doesn't seem to be
particularly cheap to me but the reason for not using it here is about
the dimensions and keeping a number of different edges in line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Apr 19, 10:31*am, NT wrote:
On Apr 19, 9:44*am, GMM wrote:

[...]

Which would be fine if I was painting the wall
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:44:58 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:
The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover the whole of
the edge.

That's why they make edge tiles... though probably not avaialable for
the cheaper end of the rage wall tiles, plastic edging strip is
cheaper. Can't think of any reasons why edging strip can't be used
either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I'd love to find a source of edge tiles but haven't seen them for
years. Edging strip is a bit of a pain and doesn't seem to be
particularly cheap to me but the reason for not using it here is about
the dimensions and keeping a number of different edges in line.

Hardwood mouldings can be useful. You realise how rough tile edges are
once you paint them!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 01:44:58 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:
The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover the whole of
the edge.

That's why they make edge tiles... though probably not avaialable for
the cheaper end of the rage wall tiles, plastic edging strip is
cheaper. Can't think of any reasons why edging strip can't be used
either.

I'd love to find a source of edge tiles but haven't seen them for
years.

Apart from not being able to find bull-nosed RE and REX tiles easily,
even plain white ones, I notice that no-one seems to make those tiles in
which odd ones in the box had one or two edges completely square, but
glazed. Something to do with most/all tiles being imported, perhaps?

I don't like the appearance or added dirt-traps of plastic edging.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:44:58 AM UTC+1, GMM wrote:
For various reasons I can't use an edge strip on some tiling I need to
do, so will finish the edge with a small fillet of grout (or maybe
silicone). The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover
the whole of the edge. They're also thicker than usual. To stop any
of the brown unglazed edge showing through, I thought I might paint
the edge before sticking them up.

Question is, what's the best way to paint it? Clearly, 'tile paint'
is only designed to cover the glazed surface. Would a regular primer,
undercoat, gloss approach work (which might give the best outcome) or
would it be better to use emulsion? Maybe seal with some PVA first?
I have a vision of the tile sucking most of the water from any paint
pretty quickly...

Cheers

I painted some tile edges around a tiled "door" in the bath panel with grout reviver paint which did a good job and soaked in just the right amount. It ended up looking like the biscuit was white.

You could also use tile paint which may match the tiles, although I'm sure a seam would still be visible.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GMM" wrote in message
For various reasons I can't use an edge strip on some tiling I need to
do, so will finish the edge with a small fillet of grout (or maybe
silicone). The tiles are white but the glaze doesn't (as usual) cover
the whole of the edge. They're also thicker than usual. To stop any
of the brown unglazed edge showing through, I thought I might paint
the edge before sticking them up.

Question is, what's the best way to paint it? Clearly, 'tile paint'
is only designed to cover the glazed surface. Would a regular primer,
undercoat, gloss approach work (which might give the best outcome) or
would it be better to use emulsion? Maybe seal with some PVA first?
I have a vision of the tile sucking most of the water from any paint
pretty quickly...

Cheers

For a really neat finish I have used Hammerite white enamel in the past.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 11:17:37 AM UTC+1, GMM wrote:

I'd love to find a source of edge tiles but haven't seen them for
years. Edging strip is a bit of a pain and doesn't seem to be
particularly cheap to me but the reason for not using it here is about
the dimensions and keeping a number of different edges in line.

The plastic stuff is very cheap at 3 or 3 quid for 2.5m, but looks it.

I don't quite get what is stopping you using it though. The L shaped stuff (as opposed to the quadrant or box section stuff) only adds a couple of mill to the edge, but it isn't clear what the issue is.