Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default moving shipping containers in tight spots

anyone messed abt with 20ft shipping containers up tight single track
unmade lanes?

seems they weigh 2.5tonnes empty?

will your average old farm hay trailer take 2.5tonne?

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote

anyone messed abt with 20ft shipping containers up tight single track unmade lanes?

Surely if the container itself will make it up the lane, the
truck its on should do too since they arent any wider ?

seems they weigh 2.5tonnes empty?

will your average old farm hay trailer take 2.5tonne?

We have massive great bins that are used to carry stuff like oranges, they will
certainly carry 3 tonnes fine. Its basically just a very large steel framed trailer.

Wouldnt be that hard to weld up something out of square steel tubing to hold a pair of wheels at each end.

Even the average trailer wheel will carry 0.7 of a ton each at that slow speed.

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

Wouldnt be that hard to jack the container and take the wheels out.

Or use a forklift one end at a time.

There are container trucks that have a crane on them if the truck will make it up the lane.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message news

anyone messed abt with 20ft shipping containers up tight single track
unmade lanes?

seems they weigh 2.5tonnes empty?

will your average old farm hay trailer take 2.5tonne?

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

Jim K

JCB Loadall or similar can lift a 20 foot container reasonably easily - most
farms will have something similar. I just had a 40 foot 'hi-cube' container
delivered and off loaded from a custom wagon with an enormous hi-ab that the
chap used to precision place it on the pre-marked spot I'd decided, but they
won't go off made up ground onto soft stuff. Might b e ok in height of
summer when everything is hard but I expect you'd have to cross a few palms
with silver to get it done.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 11:42*am, AJH wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:39:40 +0100, "Jim K"
wrote:

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

That's the reason to use a 6 wheeler with hiab.

I bought a containerised woodchip boiler which weighed 8 tonnes in the
container, being a cheapskate I had it lifted onto a low loader and
dragged it off the ramps using scaffold as rollers, big mistake, I
should have paid the GBP250 and had the 6wheeler crane it off.

If you offload it at right angles the radius from CoG will be about
4.2m which will require a 10 tonne metre loader.

AJHv

an answer from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote
Jim K wrote

anyone messed abt with 20ft shipping containers up tight single track unmade lanes?

seems they weigh 2.5tonnes empty?

will your average old farm hay trailer take 2.5tonne?

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

JCB Loadall or similar can lift a 20 foot container reasonably easily - most farms will have something similar.

Trouble with that approach is that the container is them length wise
across the lane, which might not work too well with most lanes.

I just had a 40 foot 'hi-cube' container delivered and off loaded from a custom wagon with an enormous hi-ab that the
chap used to precision place it on the pre-marked spot I'd decided, but they won't go off made up ground onto soft
stuff.

I got the ****ing huge great forklift that is used in the railway yards
to put those 40 ' containers fully loaded from the railway wagons
onto the trucks etc to put what the yanks call a swamp cooler onto
the roof of the house. The damned thing was bigger than the house
and zoomed down the road from the railway yards to the house and
back in no time at all, so it cost peanuts to get them to do that.

Might b e ok in height of summer when everything is hard

The one I used has ****ing great wheels and tires and can go anywhere
that the ****ing great Stieger tractors can go, anywhere literally ground wise.

but I expect you'd have to cross a few palms with silver to get it done.

**** all silver in my case.

The main problem with the container is that its moving
it with the container at right angles to the lane.

There arent likely to be too many lanes that dont have any trees within 20 feet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 11:56, misterroy wrote:

an answer from youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

That video is pretty broken, a better version of it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQBDhkBfr0

Mind ya, thought ye were refering to this mishap ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlXmrvLg7U

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

On 08/04/2012 11:56, misterroy wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

That video is pretty broken

I thought it was just me (using youtube HTML5 instead of flash) sound
played OK, but video was about one frame per 15 seconds!

a better version of it here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQBDhkBfr0

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

That's the reason to use a 6 wheeler with hiab.

I bought a containerised woodchip boiler which weighed 8 tonnes in the
container, being a cheapskate I had it lifted onto a low loader and
dragged it off the ramps using scaffold as rollers, big mistake, I
should have paid the GBP250 and had the 6wheeler crane it off.

If you offload it at right angles the radius from CoG will be about
4.2m which will require a 10 tonne metre loader.

lost me abit there - are we still talking "empty 20ft-er"s now?

I can probly get a neighbouring farm's JCB "backwards tractor" style
forklift to help at my end - dunno spec yet but it is a big numpty thing
(not a "usual" warehouse forklift style)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 2:38*pm, AJH wrote:
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 14:13:54 +0100, "Jim K"
wrote:

lost me abit there - are we still talking "empty 20ft-er"s now?

Yes, an empty 20ft one weighing 2.5 tonne is easy enough to slide off
so it lowers adjacent to the kingpost of the crane but reaching it
into position is more challenging.

I can probly get a neighbouring farm's JCB "backwards tractor" style
forklift to help at my end - dunno spec yet but it is a big numpty thing
(not a "usual" warehouse forklift style)

No problem if it will lift one end, even a land rover will pull the
other end round.

AJH

How about these:

http://www.trewhella.co.uk/container-equipment.php

You might be able to hire them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim K
writes

wrote:

How to get it off & position at t'other end??

That's the reason to use a 6 wheeler with hiab.

I bought a containerised woodchip boiler which weighed 8 tonnes in the
container, being a cheapskate I had it lifted onto a low loader and
dragged it off the ramps using scaffold as rollers, big mistake, I
should have paid the GBP250 and had the 6wheeler crane it off.

If you offload it at right angles the radius from CoG will be about
4.2m which will require a 10 tonne metre loader.

lost me abit there - are we still talking "empty 20ft-er"s now?

I can probly get a neighbouring farm's JCB "backwards tractor" style
forklift to help at my end - dunno spec yet but it is a big numpty
thing (not a "usual" warehouse forklift style)

Sounds a bit like my all terrain masted Manitou. Rated at 2.5 tons but
more likely only 2.

If you could find some sort of trolley or skids for the back that would
certainly lift and pull the front. Talk to the farmer:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 12:31*pm, Adrian C wrote:

Mind ya, thought ye were refering to this mishap ...
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlXmrvLg7U

Ouch.

Some time later....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4v9N2uCUu4

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote
AJH wrote
Jim K wrote

lost me abit there - are we still talking "empty 20ft-er"s now?

Yes, an empty 20ft one weighing 2.5 tonne is easy enough to slide off
so it lowers adjacent to the kingpost of the crane but reaching it
into position is more challenging.

I can probly get a neighbouring farm's JCB "backwards tractor" style
forklift to help at my end - dunno spec yet but it is a big numpty
thing (not a "usual" warehouse forklift style)

No problem if it will lift one end, even a land rover will pull the
other end round.

How about these:

http://www.trewhella.co.uk/container-equipment.php

You might be able to hire them.

Wouldnt be hard to make something like that using normal car wheels and welded square tubing.

If you start with the axel and wheel system out of a car from the wreckers, it wouldnt cost much.