Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hosepipe ban

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Unless you are dribbling water into the device with a jug which part of
"Hosepipe Ban" did you not understand?
Use of, feeding of other appliances, etc... You're still using it ! So it's
banned.... Simplez

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers?

I should imagine so.

These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Maybe you could fill an IBC by bucket, then use the pressure washer from
the IBC?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers?

I should imagine so.

These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a
car.

Maybe you could fill an IBC by bucket, then use the pressure washer from
the IBC?

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a
hose pipe.

What is an IBC?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers?

I should imagine so.

These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a
car.

Maybe you could fill an IBC by bucket, then use the pressure washer from
the IBC?

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a
hose pipe.

I assume these permanent irrigation setups on timers are exempt.

What is an IBC?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 14:52, Peter Parry wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:10:38 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even
though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to
do.

Apparently you can. For example

https://southeast.veoliawater.co.uk/...-explained.pdf

"Customers may water their gardens:
- By hand, using a bucket or watering can.
- With greywater through a hosepipe.
- Using rainwater from a water butt by hand or through a hosepipe."

The Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010 definition of “using a
hosepipe” is:-

3.(1) Using a hosepipe, in relation to a purpose in section 76(2) of
the Act, includes the following—

(a) drawing relevant water through a hosepipe from a container and
applying it for the purpose;

(b )filling or partly filling a container with relevant water by means
of a hosepipe and applying it for the purpose.

("the Act" being the Water Industry Act 1991 as amended by the Flood
and Water Management Act 2010

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can
use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant
water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Homer Simpson would be proud of you))))))))))))))))))))))))))

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 14:52, charles wrote:
In ,
Ian wrote:
In , Nthkentman
writes

"Doctor wrote in message
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume
very little water and would consume less than using buckets when
washing a car.

Unless you are dribbling water into the device with a jug which part of
"Hosepipe Ban" did you not understand?
Use of, feeding of other appliances, etc... You're still using it ! So
it's banned.... Simplez

I think you'll find that there are loads of apparent 'sillinesses' with
the hosepipe ban.

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even
though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to
do. Of course, as you could be getting around the ban by constantly
filling the bath, there is a definite case for the ban applying.

In other situations, the sense of ban may not be obvious - and in some
cases it may be even counter-productive. For example, I don't think you
can even use a hosepipe for the rainwater you have so carefully
collected in your storage butt. However, I suppose it's easier to apply
a 'one size fits all' rule. I'm sure that the water companies have
better things to do than to deal with an endless stream (no pun
intended!) of requests for exemptions, and also a string of vigilante
claims of seeing the innocent and harmless use of hosepipes (such as
using a hosepipe to siphon the bath water into a storage butt).

why don't you read the regulations instead of saying "I believe". The
hosepipe in question needs to be connected to the mains water supply. The
ban does not apply to those fed from waterbuts, etc.

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond with
fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different lists
of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble will
attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even
though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to
do.

Apparently you can. For example

https://southeast.veoliawater.co.uk/...-explained.pdf

"Customers may water their gardens:
- By hand, using a bucket or watering can.
- With greywater through a hosepipe.
- Using rainwater from a water butt by hand or through a hosepipe."

The Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010 definition of €śusing a
hosepipe€ť is:-

3.(1) Using a hosepipe, in relation to a purpose in section 76(2) of
the Act, includes the following€”

(a) drawing relevant water through a hosepipe from a container and
applying it for the purpose;

(b )filling or partly filling a container with relevant water by means
of a hosepipe and applying it for the purpose.

("the Act" being the Water Industry Act 1991 as amended by the Flood
and Water Management Act 2010

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can
use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant
water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

drink several gallons of tapwater, and **** on the roses...

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond with
fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Yes, if you are prepared to use that "treated" water in your pond. We find
that filling with mains water encourages teh growth of blanket weed, so we
always try to use a water from a rainwater butt.

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different lists
of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble will
attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

veolia water serves parts of Essex, they have a hosepipe ban

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even
though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to
do.

Apparently you can. For example

https://southeast.veoliawater.co.uk/...-explained.pdf

"Customers may water their gardens:
- By hand, using a bucket or watering can.

- With greywater through a hosepipe.

Does this mean we'll be seeing lot of well-bathed people around for the
next six months?

- Using rainwater from a water butt by hand or through a hosepipe."

The Water Use (Temporary Bans) Order 2010 definition of €śusing a
hosepipe€ť is:-

3.(1) Using a hosepipe, in relation to a purpose in section 76(2) of
the Act, includes the following€”

(a) drawing relevant water through a hosepipe from a container and
applying it for the purpose;

(b )filling or partly filling a container with relevant water by means
of a hosepipe and applying it for the purpose.

("the Act" being the Water Industry Act 1991 as amended by the Flood
and Water Management Act 2010

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can
use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant
water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

That's good info. I reckon that things have changed quite a bit since
the last ban, when I'm sure that almost any use of the hosepipe was
forbidden.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes

why don't you read the regulations instead of saying "I believe".

Because delegation is the key to effective management?

The
hosepipe in question needs to be connected to the mains water supply. The
ban does not apply to those fed from waterbuts, etc.

I'm pretty sure* that, at one time, this wasn't the case (at least, not
with my water company).
*Please excuse me for not bothering to check that I am 100% correct.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 2:10*pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , Nthkentman
writes

[...]

My reading of the bans in the papers state that it is a ban on potable
water, so bath water would not count. However, if your neighbour saw
you . . .

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 13:05, Doctor Drivel wrote:
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

That will depend entirely upon the order that applies to the area where
you live. Each water authority can and does apply its own rules on what
is and is not banned and it is not even necessarily the same across each
region. The details for your area should be published on the web.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Nthkentman
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These
consume very little water and would consume less than using
buckets when washing a car.

Unless you are dribbling water into the device with a jug which
part of "Hosepipe Ban" did you not understand?
Use of, feeding of other appliances, etc... You're still using it !
So it's banned.... Simplez

I think you'll find that there are loads of apparent 'sillinesses'
with the hosepipe ban.

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even
though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing
to do. Of course, as you could be getting around the ban by constantly
filling the bath, there is a definite case for the ban applying.

In other situations, the sense of ban may not be obvious - and in some
cases it may be even counter-productive. For example, I don't think
you can even use a hosepipe for the rainwater you have so carefully
collected in your storage butt. However, I suppose it's easier to
apply a 'one size fits all' rule. I'm sure that the water companies
have better things to do than to deal with an endless stream (no pun
intended!) of requests for exemptions, and also a string of vigilante
claims of seeing the innocent and harmless use of hosepipes (such as
using a hosepipe to siphon the bath water into a storage butt).

I am going to do my bit.

I use less water rinsing down my van using a hosepipe with the correct
attachment (ie one that stops the water when I do not need it) than using
the 4 buckets of water needed to rinse it down when using buckets.

However, as I am a law abiding citizen I am going to use 4 buckets of water
to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap running at the kitchen sink
between the bucket refills.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

drink several gallons of tapwater, and **** on the roses...

Or, paint the end of the hose pink, thread it up your trouser leg and out
your flies, and water the lawn at night,

any harry's spying on you will think your just having an extremely long
****,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 16:07, charles wrote:
In articleFYSdnfFt0_w70R3SnZ2dnUVZ8rKdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond with
fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Yes, if you are prepared to use that "treated" water in your pond. We find
that filling with mains water encourages teh growth of blanket weed, so we
always try to use a water from a rainwater butt.

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different lists
of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble will
attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

veolia water serves parts of Essex, they have a hosepipe ban

Quite possibly, but most of it is covered by Essex and Suffolk water,
and they don't have a ban at the moment.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Nthkentman
writes

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These
consume very little water and would consume less than using
buckets when washing a car.

Unless you are dribbling water into the device with a jug which
part of "Hosepipe Ban" did you not understand?
Use of, feeding of other appliances, etc... You're still using
it ! So it's banned.... Simplez

I think you'll find that there are loads of apparent 'sillinesses'
with the hosepipe ban.

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not
directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose -
even though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty
simple thing to do. Of course, as you could be getting around the
[...]

You mean you'll behave like a twerp? Oh come now, I don't believe it!

No:-) I will still use the hosepipe and save water doing it my way.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
I'm sure that almost any use of the hosepipe was
forbidden.

Harry can still use it as a sex toy.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers?

Presumably not if the water comes from a bucket or drum, some of them can do that.

These consume very little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 19:37, Rod Speed wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

These consume very little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce. It works as just
as well without being washed.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote
John Rumm wrote:

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond
with fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Or add some fish to a pond that doesnt have any currently.

Yes, if you are prepared to use that "treated" water in your pond.
We find that filling with mains water encourages teh growth of blanket
weed, so we always try to use a water from a rainwater butt.

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different
lists of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble
will attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

veolia water serves parts of Essex, they have a hosepipe ban

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote
Peter Parry wrote
Ian Jackson wrote

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not directly) by siphoning off your dirty bath water
with a hose - even though, with an upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to do.

Apparently you can. For example

https://southeast.veoliawater.co.uk/...-explained.pdf

"Customers may water their gardens:
- By hand, using a bucket or watering can.

- With greywater through a hosepipe.

Does this mean we'll be seeing lot of well-bathed people around for the next six months?

Unlikely, where is the coal going to go ?

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

8

And dennis will be out with his clipboard and hi viz jacket taking
details and grassing on his neighbours.

Well we can sue the neighbours, it would seem, if they overuse water and
refuse polite requests to desist.

We won't have a ban, we haven't had one in the last half a century.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Doctor Drivel wrote

These consume very little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce.

Me neither.

I was thinking that my car would have to be the filthiest
in town currently since its parked under the trees and
has lots of bird **** and tree **** on it.

Its a bright yellow car too, so the dirt really stands out.

It works as just as well without being washed.

I did have one of the cops comment on how filthy the car was when
I got stopped for a random breath test, when the car was newish.
Just an amused comment that it was a bit cruel to the poor car |-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 18:00:08 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

4 buckets of water to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap

running at the kitchen sink between the bucket refills.

Oooo, you little devil you... Or are you using two buckets? B-)

You mean you'll behave like a twerp? Oh come now, I don't believe

it!

No:-) I will still use the hosepipe and save water doing it my way.

Even better if you have a water meter and can prove (by the water
companies own meter) that using the hose uses less water than 4
buckets.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 08:27:27 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

My reading of the bans in the papers state that it is a ban on potable
water, so bath water would not count.

So as water stored in a cold water storage tank, such as that used on
open vented HW systems, is not considered "potable" these days you
just connect your hose to an output from that?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Undertaker? Who died?
-
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 16:43, ARWadsworth wrote:
I am going to do my bit.

I use less water rinsing down my van using a hosepipe with the correct
attachment (ie one that stops the water when I do not need it) than using
the 4 buckets of water needed to rinse it down when using buckets.

However, as I am a law abiding citizen I am going to use 4 buckets of water
to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap running at the kitchen sink
between the bucket refills.

I looked up our rules, and you're allowed to wash your van because it's
a commercial vehicle.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond
with fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Yes, if you are prepared to use that "treated" water in your pond.
We find that filling with mains water encourages teh growth of
blanket weed, so we always try to use a water from a rainwater butt.

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different
lists of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure
Dribble will attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

veolia water serves parts of Essex, they have a hosepipe ban

Quite possibly, but most of it is covered by Essex and Suffolk water,
and they don't have a ban at the moment.

They also cover a lot of Suffolk, (duh!), and along the boundary
between Suffolk and Norfolk, otherwise known as The River Waveny, on
one side you can use a hosepipe, on the other side, you can't. We're
lucky, this time around. Last time, it was the opposite.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 22:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 08:27:27 -0700 (PDT), Jonathan wrote:

My reading of the bans in the papers state that it is a ban on potable
water, so bath water would not count.

So as water stored in a cold water storage tank, such as that used on
open vented HW systems, is not considered "potable" these days you
just connect your hose to an output from that?

Cost a blinking fortune in inhibitor though ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:12:10 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 07/04/2012 16:43, ARWadsworth wrote:
I am going to do my bit.

I use less water rinsing down my van using a hosepipe with the correct
attachment (ie one that stops the water when I do not need it) than using
the 4 buckets of water needed to rinse it down when using buckets.

However, as I am a law abiding citizen I am going to use 4 buckets of water
to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap running at the kitchen sink
between the bucket refills.

I looked up our rules, and you're allowed to wash your van because it's
a commercial vehicle.

Andy

What's all this talk of a "Hosepipe ban"? It can't really be an
offence to own a hosepipe, can it?

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:15:37 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

My reading of the bans in the papers state that it is a ban on

potable
water, so bath water would not count.

So as water stored in a cold water storage tank, such as that used

on
open vented HW systems, is not considered "potable" these days you
just connect your hose to an output from that?

Cost a blinking fortune in inhibitor though ;-)

HW != CH B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote
ARWadsworth wrote

I am going to do my bit.

I use less water rinsing down my van using a hosepipe with the
correct attachment (ie one that stops the water when I do not need
it) than using the 4 buckets of water needed to rinse it down when
using buckets.

However, as I am a law abiding citizen I am going to use 4 buckets
of water to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap running at
the kitchen sink between the bucket refills.

I looked up our rules, and you're allowed to wash your van because
it's a commercial vehicle.

They appear to be talking about commercial washing, not commercial vehicles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 14:42:30 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Blue Badge holders are automatically exempt, too.

I don't see why.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:51:56 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce. It works as just
as well without being washed.

Precisely. Wash your car around here and people think you're selling
it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce. It works as just
as well without being washed.

Precisely. Wash your car around here and people think you're selling it.

Ours looks horrible under all that dirt, so I've no desire to wash it off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you believe the currently running TV ads, maybe not, but they do also say
they run from rainwater butts, so maybe they are hedging their bets on that
one.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers? These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unfortunately, its not that simple. I mean, I ccould use a hose pipe to
connect up a shower in an outhouse, but then its just supplying water to
another bit of the house.

I think the point is that you should not use constantly running water to
do things for long periods of time.
its all very odd as it seem that some golf courses are exempt.
Brian