Maart

Default Where to buy a hosepipe

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

John_ZIZinvalid

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 08:29:33 +0000 (UTC), "Maart"
wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

What is it for, and why such a length?.
My estimation is 820ft.

Anyway you have two choices, first to make it out of standard lengths
bought from a wholesaler or DIY store and use couplers. Or get a list
of various makes as supplied from your local DIY store, and search the
web for the contact details, and ring the sales office for price.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Try a farmer's store - where they sell cow pruners, sheep openers and
the like. These are great fun to shop in - all manner of weirdness, and
the proces are often good too (3kg of copper sulphate for a tenner!)

However 250m is _very_ long. You may need significant water pressure and
you'll still get poor flow. Make sure the hose is big enough diameter.
If possible, use a shorter hose with couplers - when you can, just used
the short length alone.

Bob Mannix

"Maart" wrote in message
Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

At that length you might be better of with a larger bore irrigation piping
system in ldpe - see

http://www.growell.co.uk/c/32/Irrigation.html

for example. They do 13mm and 19mm systems.

A cheap flexible hose that length will put up quite a bit of flow
resistance.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Maart wrote:
Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that
I can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Good luck coiling it up neatly after use. My 10m one fights enough. ;-)

--
*Toilet stolen from police station. Cops have nothing to go on.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Mckenzie

wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Try a farmer's store - where they sell cow pruners, sheep openers and
the like. These are great fun to shop in - all manner of weirdness, and
the proces are often good too (3kg of copper sulphate for a tenner!)

However 250m is _very_ long. You may need significant water pressure and
you'll still get poor flow. Make sure the hose is big enough diameter.
If possible, use a shorter hose with couplers - when you can, just used
the short length alone.

There are a number of useful calculators on the web (e.g.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex787) that will
calculate pipe losses. The losses tend to increase non-linearly with flow
rate, so that head loss over 250 metres can be significant at anything over
a trickle in small hoses.

Andy

Ian Stirling

wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Try a farmer's store - where they sell cow pruners, sheep openers and
the like. These are great fun to shop in - all manner of weirdness, and
the proces are often good too (3kg of copper sulphate for a tenner!)

However 250m is _very_ long. You may need significant water pressure and
you'll still get poor flow. Make sure the hose is big enough diameter.
If possible, use a shorter hose with couplers - when you can, just used
the short length alone.

250m.
Comparing to a 30m length of hose, that's 8 times longer.
Or if a standard mains pressure is 3 bar, or 30m of water pressure,
you're looking at about 4m of water pressure.
About equivalent to a normal length of hose on a tap fed from a cold
water tank in the house.
RichardS

wrote:

[...]

Probably not even that good.

I got a new 30m hose on a reel earlier this year (how _did_ I cope with all
that excitement at once?!!!) & being a lazy toad & eager to use it I
connected the existing hose (about 13m long, for some reason) to the input.

The flow rate drop was dramatic - one of those sprinkler gun things on the
end of it went from being "very good" to "usable but not great" in an
instant.

And that was with a mains feed to the cold tap & pretty decent water
pressure.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Ian Stirling

wrote:

[...]

The numbers are right.
Flow rate depends only on pressure drop per unit length (well, apart
from the fact that a hose may bulge at high pressure).
Some hozelock-type connectors, especially some "stop" fittings can
gramtically reduce flow rate.
raden

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
I got a new 30m hose on a reel earlier this year (how _did_ I cope with all
that excitement at once?!!!) & being a lazy toad & eager to use it I
connected the existing hose (about 13m long, for some reason) to the input.

The numbers are right.
Flow rate depends only on pressure drop per unit length (well, apart
from the fact that a hose may bulge at high pressure).
Some hozelock-type connectors, especially some "stop" fittings can
gramtically reduce flow rate.

Was that a dramatic error ?

--
geoff

Mike

"Maart" wrote in message
Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Machine Mart can/used to be able to order in extra long lengths on the hoses
they stock.

Pete C

wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Ian Stirling

raden wrote:
In message , Ian
Stirling writes
I got a new 30m hose on a reel earlier this year (how _did_ I cope with all
that excitement at once?!!!) & being a lazy toad & eager to use it I
connected the existing hose (about 13m long, for some reason) to the input.

The numbers are right.
Flow rate depends only on pressure drop per unit length (well, apart
from the fact that a hose may bulge at high pressure).
Some hozelock-type connectors, especially some "stop" fittings can
gramtically reduce flow rate.

Was that a dramatic error ?

Sigh.
Took me ages to spot that, when I was looking for a typo.
Oh well.
At least that particular mistake diddn't leave floods of water on the floor.
The Natural Philosopher

Maart wrote:

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I
can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

unless it is of substantial diameter the flow ill be very poor.
Probably better to get a roll of pastic mains water pipe, and use that
instead.