Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hosepipe ban

Brian Gaff wrote:

its all very odd as it seem that some golf courses are exempt.
Brian

Rich people and politicians' playground...
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jules Richardson
writes
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:54:10 +0100, grimly4 wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 19:51:56 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce. It works as just
as well without being washed.

Precisely. Wash your car around here and people think you're selling it.

Ours looks horrible under all that dirt, so I've no desire to wash it off.

Indeed. It's certainly not nice to be reminded how rusty your car is.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 7, 5:10*pm, "Gazz" wrote:
So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

drink several gallons of tapwater, and **** on the roses...

Or, paint the end of the hose pink, thread it up your trouser leg and out
your flies, and water the lawn at night,

any harry's spying on you will think your just having an extremely long
****,

Or think you are exceptionally full of ****?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 09:15, Tim Watts wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

its all very odd as it seem that some golf courses are exempt.
Brian

Rich people and politicians' playground...

To be fair, many business water use activities are also exempt - even
commercial vehicle washing in some cases.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message

For example, I believe you can't water the garden (certainly not directly)
by siphoning off your dirty bath water with a hose - even though, with an
upstairs bathroom, this would be pretty simple thing to do.

In the past I was advised by Southern Water something similar to this was
OK, I had a system to drain shower water via a hose direct to the veg
garden.

The use of hoses isn't "absolute". For example. I normally use a hose to
fill my motorhome water tank. I'm sure that will be permitted. I couldn't,
however, wash the vehicle.

(Fancy seeing you here Ian).

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nightjar
writes
On 07/04/2012 19:37, Rod Speed wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:

These consume very little water and would consume less than using
buckets when washing a car.

Makes more sense to not bother to wash the car if water is scarse.

I don't normally bother, even when water is not scarce. It works as
just as well without being washed.

Colin Bignell

Mines a Land Rover - if you wash them they fall apart.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay.
writes

(Fancy seeing you here Ian).

(I've been here for some time!)
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 23:14:36 +0100, Davey wrote:

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 17:44:50 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

On 07/04/2012 16:07, charles wrote:
In articleFYSdnfFt0_w70R3SnZ2dnUVZ8rKdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:

Its not even that simple... you could use a hose to re-fill a pond
with fresh mains water that is maintaining fish for example...

Yes, if you are prepared to use that "treated" water in your pond. We
find that filling with mains water encourages teh growth of blanket
weed, so we always try to use a water from a rainwater butt.

Each of the different water companies publish slightly different
lists of allowable activities.

Still on of the advantages of living is Essex (as I am sure Dribble
will attest) is no hosepipe ban at the moment ;-)

veolia water serves parts of Essex, they have a hosepipe ban

Quite possibly, but most of it is covered by Essex and Suffolk water,
and they don't have a ban at the moment.

They also cover a lot of Suffolk, (duh!), and along the boundary between
Suffolk and Norfolk, otherwise known as The River Waveny, on one side you
can use a hosepipe, on the other side, you can't. We're lucky, this time
around. Last time, it was the opposite.

What would they say if you dropped a siphon hose into the Waveny and
hooked it up to your own water pump? ;-)

--
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can
use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant
water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

That's good info. I reckon that things have changed quite a bit since
the last ban, when I'm sure that almost any use of the hosepipe was
forbidden.

Who else remembers that the premise for privatisation of water under the
tories in the early '70s was that private money would be put into
replacing the infrastructure

yeah ... like ****

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

[Snip]

We can note that when water was privately owned by the Government,
nothing was done about maintaining the victorian waterpipes, whereas a
lot has been done since then - mandated by the regulator.

You should never let the "Government" own anything that provides us a
service. They'll **** it up, because Sir Humphrey is a lazy ****.

No - it was because (like the Post office) any "profits" were immediately
taken by the Government who would only put a fraction of them back into the
business.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim
Streater wrote:
In article , charles
wrote:

In article ,

[Snip]

We can note that when water was privately owned by the Government,
nothing was done about maintaining the victorian waterpipes, whereas
a lot has been done since then - mandated by the regulator.

You should never let the "Government" own anything that provides us a
service. They'll **** it up, because Sir Humphrey is a lazy ****.

No - it was because (like the Post office) any "profits" were
immediately taken by the Government who would only put a fraction of
them back into the business.

Same result, in practical terms.

true, but it wasn't becasue anybody was lazy.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote

We can note that when water was privately owned by the Government,
nothing was done about maintaining the victorian waterpipes, whereas
a lot has been done since then - mandated by the regulator.

You should never let the "Government" own anything that provides
us a service. They'll **** it up, because Sir Humphrey is a lazy ****.

No - it was because (like the Post office) any "profits" were
immediately taken by the Government who would only put a
fraction of them back into the business.

That aint what happens with any postal system world wide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

This hosepipe ban. Does it include pressure washers?

I should imagine so.

These consume very
little water and would consume less than using buckets when washing a
car.

They do consume less than a running hose, but nowhere near as
little as washing with a bucket. Since I run my pressure washer
from a water butt, it's very clear to me how much it uses.

Maybe you could fill an IBC by bucket, then use the pressure washer from
the IBC?

A hard piped in pressure washer mounted on a garage wall does not have a
hose pipe.

I never saw a pressure washer without a hose.
Maybe they'll invent one where the jet is fixed and the car is moved
around on a platform...

Generally, you can't use a pressure washer with water obtained from
your water mains since 5th April. You can collect grey water (i.e.
water which has been used for washing) and reuse that though.

I assume these permanent irrigation setups on timers are exempt.

In the rules I looked at, drip irrigation of plant pots is still
allowed in some circumstances. Irrigation of the ground isn't though.

All these rules can vary by area, so need to check with your supplier.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:

So fill the bath, wash you hands in it, then water the garden ;-)

We had a drought in the late 80's or early 90's (can't recall exactly,
just where I was living at the time) with a hosepipe ban. Through that,
I saved the bathwater (let it cool down whilst I was at work, and then
pumped it over the garden when I got back in the evening using an old
washing machine drain pump coupled up to the pushfit waste where it
came out of the wall.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
In message , charles
writes

why don't you read the regulations instead of saying "I believe".

Because delegation is the key to effective management?

The
hosepipe in question needs to be connected to the mains water supply. The
ban does not apply to those fed from waterbuts, etc.

I'm pretty sure* that, at one time, this wasn't the case (at least, not
with my water company).
*Please excuse me for not bothering to check that I am 100% correct.

The regs I read said the hose can't be used with water supplied
via the mains since 5th April. If you have stored water which
was supplied via the mains before 5th April, that would be OK.
I'm surprised I didn't hear anyone suggest filling your water
butt by hose on 4th April, although there's no point here, as
it's been raining pretty constantly since the drought order
started, and water butts are all overflowing anyway;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
[...]

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember
what happened in 1976. ;-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Ian Jackson writes:
[...]

Took 10 years to work here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod Speed
writes
John Williamson wrote:

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember
what happened in 1976. ;-)

Took 10 years to work here.

It only took a few hours here (S Bucks). Now that's what I CALL service!
--
ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember what happened in 1976. ;-)

Took 10 years to work here.

It only took a few hours here (S Bucks). Now that's what I CALL service!

Likely because you lot have been grovelling to that damned god for a lot longer than we have.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
John Williamson wrote

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember what happened in 1976. ;-)

Took 10 years to work here.

It only took a few hours here (S Bucks). Now that's what I CALL service!

Likely because you lot have been grovelling to that damned god for a lot longer than we have.

Nah, we just created a Minister For Drought.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article , geoff
wrote:

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

You cannot fill your bath with fresh water and siphon it off, you can
use gray (used) water from your bath as it is no longer "relevant
water" ( mains water supplied by the water undertaker).

That's good info. I reckon that things have changed quite a bit
since the last ban, when I'm sure that almost any use of the
hosepipe was forbidden.

Who else remembers that the premise for privatisation of water under
the tories in the early '70s was that private money would be put into
replacing the infrastructure

Ah, you mean now that water is under public ownership (i.e., I can buy
shares in it, so I actually own something) as opposed to when it was
privately owned by an entity called the "Government", over whose
policies we had no control? That what you're on about?

We can note that when water was privately owned by the Government,
nothing was done about maintaining the victorian waterpipes, whereas a
lot has been done since then - mandated by the regulator.

You should never let the "Government" own anything that provides us a
service. They'll **** it up, because Sir Humphrey is a lazy ****.

That still doesn't change what I said above

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message , Rod Speed
writes
John Williamson wrote:

That's what drought orders are for. They make it rain, if you remember
what happened in 1976. ;-)

Took 10 years to work here.

It only took a few hours here (S Bucks). Now that's what I CALL service!

Yeah, but he's an antipodean

They whinge when it rains, they whinge when it doesn't

--

geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 07/04/2012 16:43, ARWadsworth wrote:
I am going to do my bit.

I use less water rinsing down my van using a hosepipe with the correct
attachment (ie one that stops the water when I do not need it) than using
the 4 buckets of water needed to rinse it down when using buckets.

However, as I am a law abiding citizen I am going to use 4 buckets of water
to rinse down the van and I will leave the tap running at the kitchen sink
between the bucket refills.

I looked up our rules, and you're allowed to wash your van because it's
a commercial vehicle.

Does that mean he can wash mine too?

--
geoff