Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital projectors.

I am thinking of getting one.

What does the panel know about them? Best make, any snags to watch
out for, best place to buy etc
What can gowrong?

I was going to get one before but the price of replacement lamps put
me off.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry wrote:

What does the panel know about them? Best make, any snags to watch
out for, best place to buy etc
What can go wrong?

I strongly recommend that you take a look at the splendid AV Forums site at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/

where you'll find a huge amount of very knowledgeable advice and a lot of
people willing to help: it's a bit like this place but for audio-visual gear
and without most of the gratuitous back-biting. There are dedicated
discussion sections for the different types of projectors and for home
cinema in general, reviews, and a reliable trading area for used items,
which can almost always be relied on to have been well looked after and
properly used. I bought my first two LCD projectors secondhand from AV
Forums members and didn't regret it.

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to do my best with them
here, but AV Forums is far and away the best place to go.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting one.

What does the panel know about them? Best make, any snags to watch
out for, best place to buy etc
What can gowrong?

I was going to get one before but the price of replacement lamps put
me off.

Depends what you want it for etc. but don't let the lamp price put you off.
If you shop around, you can get them a lot cheaper. There are plenty of
guides (Google) on what resolution, brightness, contrast ratio are best for
your situation.

A couple of snags I found (which wouldn't have been a problem if I'd thought
it through....) firstly, you'll need to think about where to put it to avoid
trailing cables and stuff. My best wall for the screen was the one the TV
was already on, which meant a cable running across the room from the Sky box
to the projector.

Second, make sure you've got a sound system as it only struck me when I set
it up, that my projector only had a crappy little speaker in it, so you'll
need to amplify and project the sound from the source, through something
else like a hifi or surround system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
I am thinking of getting one.

What does the panel know about them? Best make, any snags to watch
out for, best place to buy etc
What can gowrong?

I was going to get one before but the price of replacement lamps put
me off.

TIA

Make sure you view the ones you are thinking of.
Make sure its a moving picture too.

The DLP ones apparently scan using a colour wheel so fast (how fast?) moving
stuff can create a rainbow image.

LCD ones don't but don't have such good blacks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
harry wrote:
I was going to get one before but the price of replacement lamps put
me off.

I have a DLP rear projector TV. 7 years old, and gets I'd say average use.
Perhaps 2-3 hours per day. Still on the original lamp.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
harry wrote:
I was going to get one before but the price of replacement lamps put
me off.

I have a DLP rear projector TV. 7 years old, and gets I'd say average use.
Perhaps 2-3 hours per day. Still on the original lamp.

Tell'em about the image intensifiers, Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2012 18:40, Brian Gaff wrote:

Are these the ones that use littltiny chips or the lcd ones?

Either... DLP and LCD rule the low end, some CRT stuff still used for
top end stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Are these the ones that use littltiny chips or the lcd ones?

Either... DLP and LCD rule the low end, some CRT stuff still used for
top end stuff.

CRT still used for high end projectors? How have they overcome the
inherent problems?

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

CRT still used for high end projectors? How have they overcome the
inherent problems?

Such problems being fragility, longevity, bulk, heat and noise, presumably.
I don't think they have: on the domestic scene at least, it's just a case of
some users convincing themselves that the allegedly superior results are
worth the drawbacks. A bit like those hifi diehards who'll tell you that
valves are better than transistors, and LPs superior to CDs...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
CRT still used for high end projectors? How have they overcome the
inherent problems?

Such problems being fragility, longevity, bulk, heat and noise,
presumably.

I was thinking more of registration and actual 'brightness'.

I don't think they have: on the domestic scene at least,
it's just a case of some users convincing themselves that the allegedly
superior results are worth the drawbacks. A bit like those hifi
diehards who'll tell you that valves are better than transistors, and
LPs superior to CDs...

A decent CRT still beats LCD or whatever for a conventional display in
many ways.

--
*Why can't women put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

A decent CRT still beats LCD or whatever for a conventional display in
many ways.

In absolute picture terms maybe, but for domestic use convenience and
unobtrusiveness play a large part, surely?

If I could set up an entirely separate soundproof room to house a projector,
beaming through a flawless (and loss-less) glass window, then CRT might have
its attractions. But I can't.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

A decent CRT still beats LCD or whatever for a conventional display in
many ways.

In absolute picture terms maybe, but for domestic use convenience and
unobtrusiveness play a large part, surely?

Wouldn't deny that. LCD are superior in many ways - apart from outright
quality.

If I could set up an entirely separate soundproof room to house a
projector, beaming through a flawless (and loss-less) glass window,
then CRT might have its attractions. But I can't.

The point I was making was that all the CRT projectors I've seen use three
tubes - one for each colour. And getting them lined up so they are exactly
correct is difficult - and perhaps more so, keeping them that way as they
drift and age. And there is a limit as to how bright they can go - unlike
a DLP etc that uses an ordinary light source for this.

--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

The point I was making was that all the CRT projectors I've seen use three
tubes - one for each colour. And getting them lined up so they are exactly
correct is difficult - and perhaps more so, keeping them that way as they
drift and age.

I've never owned a CRT projector as such, but I did once have a huge and
bulky TV cabinet which housed the standard three CR tubes pointing upwards
at a front-silvered mirror and thence to a rear-projection screen. It was
*very* delicate: the tube/lens assemblies were floating in oil, if I
remember correctly, and after moving the set it had to be left alone for an
hour or so for everything to settle.

But I don't remember convergence being a huge problem, except (however
carefully one set it up) at the very edges of the screen, which never
achieved exact correspondence. This was far more noticeable on the set's
built-in alignment grid than on programme material, though.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In articlehqOdnVx5wN7oHubSnZ2dnUVZ7qudnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John wrote:
Are these the ones that use littltiny chips or the lcd ones?

Either... DLP and LCD rule the low end, some CRT stuff still used for
top end stuff.

CRT still used for high end projectors? How have they overcome the
inherent problems?

I doubt they sell many these days... but some of the older ones are
still in demand apparently for commercial stuff. They need skilled setup
though to look good.

--
Cheers,

John.

Data projectors again George UK diy 7 February 24th 07 05:28 PM
DIY video projectors D.M. Procida UK diy 8 October 20th 06 07:09 PM
T V Projectors --- Looking for input Andy Electronics Repair 2 June 3rd 05 09:32 PM
Anyone had luck getting schematics for InFocus projectors? EL Electronics Repair 7 March 2nd 05 03:27 AM
Any recommendations for Multimedia Projectors for TV/Movies? John Robertson Electronics Repair 4 November 17th 04 06:45 PM