Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hardening hammerite paint by baking

Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Benn wrote:
Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

Hammerite seem to have formulated the paint for 8-25C ambient according
to the web site.

I don't believe its a thermosetting paint - just a thick tough oil
enamel. - leastways it used to be .

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Benn wrote:
Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

I'd suggest leaving it out in the nice warm sunshine instead.
Unless you really want to stink the house out!

Hammerite seem to have formulated the paint for 8-25C ambient according
to the web site.

I don't believe its a thermosetting paint - just a thick tough oil
enamel. - leastways it used to be .

Pretty sure it crosslinks as it cures so the final Hammerite paint
finish after full cure is fairly resistant to solvents. The new stuff
now has been meddled with and isn't as aggressively xylene based.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Benn wrote:

Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

Yes - I did this many decades ago when I needed a rock hard finish fast on a
few brackets.

100C (or a bit hotter) in an oven for 2-3 hours did the job.

But it will stink the kitchen out, so wait for SWMBO to go shopping. Pop yer
gearbox in the dishwasher at the same time ;-

Best to let the piece cool in the oven too - the paint can be a little soft
at that temperature even after baking - but will be rock hard on cooling.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Benn" wrote in message ...

Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

Beware Hammerite is no longer the Hammerite of old. ICI bought out Finnigans
Speciality Paints, and 're-formulated' (cheapened) Hammerite to be white
spirit based, rather than the Xylene that it used to be based on. Result is
it never gets as hard as it did! Xylene based hammer finished paints are
available from other sources.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
"Mr Benn" wrote in message ...

Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? If so, what
temperature and for how long?

Beware Hammerite is no longer the Hammerite of old. ICI bought out
Finnigans Speciality Paints, and 're-formulated' (cheapened) Hammerite to
be white spirit based, rather than the Xylene that it used to be based on.
Result is it never gets as hard as it did! Xylene based hammer finished
paints are available from other sources.

AWEM

Thanks Andrew

With the newer white spirit-base Hammerite is there any benefit to be had by
baking it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 30, 2:11*pm, "Mr Benn" wrote:
Any idea if I can bake Hammerite paint to harden it? *If so, what
temperature and for how long?

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/information/science.jsp

Hammerite radiator paint Pete[_17_] UK diy 8 August 17th 11 05:31 PM
Hammerite paint David J UK diy 14 May 23rd 11 12:17 AM
Baking soda as a paint remover tmclone Home Repair 10 August 10th 09 10:01 PM
Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite Doki UK diy 5 July 8th 06 03:47 PM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 01:12 PM