Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hammerite radiator paint

Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I
rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite smooth
rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little and
it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it sounds
like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread with
any less paint.

....No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very
thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to buy a
new rad and easier.

huff...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/11 19:26, Pete wrote:
Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I
rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite smooth
rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little and
it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it sounds
like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread with
any less paint.

...No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very
thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to buy a
new rad and easier.

huff...

I had a nightmare with radiator paint years ago, so just used normal
satin 'gloss' recently, which seems fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
On 16/08/11 19:26, Pete wrote:
[...]

Hey Chris,

I've not heard of satin gloss before whats the deal with that ?

Radiator is awful from my first experience and bloody expensive! £11 for the
I think 500ml tin

It dries soo quickly and run like no mans business, you have to literally
put 4 odd really light coat with drying times of 16 hours for it to come out
decent. I noticed they sell it in aerosol which is £11 also but it dries 15
minutes a time before you can re-coat which isn't too bad.

I'm after a satin flat look for the radiator so wondering if the finish you
recommended would give me that as is gloss but also satin ?

Last time I touch enamel paint it so tricky to work with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/11 19:26, Pete wrote:
[...]

As it gone wrong at this point so letting it dry and then should I jut flat
it with some wet and dry and then top coat with the stuff you recommended ?
2 coats should be fine right ?

Sorry about the million questions never touched a rad before.

Thats said from a google read the satin gloss is as tough as gloss without
the tacky look but the same durable style. Wish new about it a week ago
before I glossed the skirting lol but never mind. I should've done a bit
more research but its been a while since I decorated just usually matt paint
on walls, and gloss everything else. Although I prefer satin finishes but
her in doors prefers gloss, I've learned doing as I'm told equals a peaceful
life

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?
2 coats should be fine right ?

Sorry about the million questions never touched a rad before.

I think you are using the wrong paint.. the best stuff I have found for rads
is dulux satinwood.
It goes on easy and resists heat.
Being a microporous paint it doesn't flake either.
I paint them about every five or six years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 19:26:34 +0100, Pete wrote:

Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I
rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite smooth
rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little
and
it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it
sounds
like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread
with
any less paint.

...No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very
thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to
buy a
new rad and easier.

huff...

The radiator I can see from here looks pretty OK. Last painted several
years ago and has hardly changed since.

Paint? Oh yes. Emulsion. Same as walls. Small roller.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/2011 21:32, dennis@home wrote:
[...] the best stuff I have found for rads is dulux satinwood.

Seconded. It flows out well, leaving no brush marks, IME.

Being a microporous paint

I don't think so - it's for indoor use only.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/08/11 19:26, Pete wrote:
Had a bit of a nightmare with this stuff the last few days. Basically I
rubbed down a rad, primed it. Then put one light coat of hammerite smooth
rad enamel. Lef it for the recommended 16 hours dry time.

Came to re-coat it and started applying paint, not to much not to little and
it ran like a 3 year olds nose.

I'm no novice decorator but this is my first rad. From the sounds it sounds
like I am using too much paint for it to run buuuut it doesn't spread with
any less paint.

...No idea why I think may be rub it down and the rad spray stuff ? very
thin coat after thin coat. At this rate it would have been cheaper to buy a
new rad and easier.

huff...

I've used the hammerite spray radiator paint and never had a problem. and I'm
crap at decorating...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
On 16/08/2011 21:32, dennis@home wrote:
[...] the best stuff I have found for rads is dulux satinwood.

Seconded. It flows out well, leaving no brush marks, IME.

Being a microporous paint

I don't think so - it's for indoor use only.

Damn I should have checked for futher replies before going to b&q. I bought
crown satinwood pure brilliant white (non drip). The b&q paint bod said its
a little thicker as its non drip but identical to the dulux stuff.

....hmm contemplating returning it for the dulux as it seems you guys have
had a result with it. I don;t fancy rubbing the damn thing down again.

Hammerite Rust Cap Paint - Too Thick, Too Quick For Me! DerbyDad03 Home Repair 17 September 14th 17 09:44 PM
Hammerite paint David J UK diy 14 May 23rd 11 01:17 AM
Paint stripper + plastic / Hammerite Doki UK diy 5 July 8th 06 04:47 PM
cheapest place for hammerite direct to rust metal paint? Haymish Pupkin UK diy 7 July 7th 06 04:37 PM
Hammerite paint stripper Jonathan Ward UK diy 4 September 18th 03 02:12 PM