Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reversed flow and return to radiator

On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've not
marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under the
floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP pipe with
metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

Make sure the TRV is a two way one, and it should be ok.

(Some of them begin to whistle a bit as they throttle the flow when on
the return side).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes a place I use regularly has a radiator like that but its a rushing noise
not a whistle. we call it Hissing Sid.
I know its childish...
Brian

Email:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've not
marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under the
floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP pipe with
metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

Make sure the TRV is a two way one, and it should be ok.

(Some of them begin to whistle a bit as they throttle the flow when on the
return side).

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm spake thus:

On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

Some are either way, but need to be adjusted for the correct direction -
this can be done after installation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 04:18:20 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

I've seen some which can be positioned with the knob vertically or horizontally, I assume these take it either way.

(There's going to be a few naughty replies to the above line.....)

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've not
marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under the
floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP pipe with
metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

Make sure the TRV is a two way one, and it should be ok.

(Some of them begin to whistle a bit as they throttle the flow when on
the return side).

I think I'll just connect the pipes correctly, in case of whistling (which would annoy the occupants (African Greys)) or future replacement of the valve by someone (or me being forgetful) who doesn't know the pipes are backwards. I've been told by a plumber he's had to correct a flow/return mix-up which caused a radiator to only get luke warm.

The HEP pipe metre markings will tell me which is which, as I bought a 50 metre length of pipe and used the two ends of the length to enter the house, with the middle being in the garage. Therefore the metre markings increase in one direction on one pipe and decrease on the other.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 05:21:29 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes a place I use regularly has a radiator like that but its a rushing noise
not a whistle. we call it Hissing Sid.
I know its childish...
Brian

Is there a way to stop a radiator going bang bang bang (well quieter than a bang) when it heats up? Only one of them does it and it's the same model of radiator, and has the same model of valves, as the rest. The only difference is it's always the one that needs bleeding - the rest never do. It still makes the noise immediately after bleeding.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Seen in a health food sto
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2012 09:39, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Is there a way to stop a radiator going bang bang bang (well quieter
than a bang) when it heats up?

Probably due to movement against its mounts as it heats up and expands.
The mounts should normally have little u-shaped bits of plastic fitted
to support the radiator, to prevent metal-metal contact and enable the
rad to slide freely and noiselessly as it expands.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

I've seen some which can be positioned with the knob vertically or
horizontally, I assume these take it either way.

Sounds like it...

(There's going to be a few naughty replies to the above line.....)

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've not
marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under the
floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP pipe with
metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

Make sure the TRV is a two way one, and it should be ok.

(Some of them begin to whistle a bit as they throttle the flow when on
the return side).

I think I'll just connect the pipes correctly, in case of whistling
(which would annoy the occupants (African Greys)) or future replacement
of the valve by someone (or me being forgetful) who doesn't know the

In similar circumstances (long run of pipes under a floor) I ended up
getting a rad flowing the wrong way once. I was not particularly bother
about the direction since I was using reversible valves. However I found
that one became noisy as the valve did its thing, so ended up swapping
it round in the end since it was in a bedroom.

pipes are backwards. I've been told by a plumber he's had to correct a
flow/return mix-up which caused a radiator to only get luke warm.

That would suggest a non reversible valve used backwards.

The HEP pipe metre markings will tell me which is which, as I bought a
50 metre length of pipe and used the two ends of the length to enter the
house, with the middle being in the garage. Therefore the metre markings
increase in one direction on one pipe and decrease on the other.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:50:44 -0000, Lobster wrote:

On 15/03/2012 09:39, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

Is there a way to stop a radiator going bang bang bang (well quieter
than a bang) when it heats up?

Probably due to movement against its mounts as it heats up and expands.
The mounts should normally have little u-shaped bits of plastic fitted
to support the radiator, to prevent metal-metal contact and enable the
rad to slide freely and noiselessly as it expands.

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I don't think any of the existing ones do either. I think I'll just put up with it instead of trying to lift it off to insert the plastics and damaging the 8mm pipes. It only makes about 10-15 clonks about 1 a second.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Keyboard error - press any key to continue...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:20:12 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I
don't think any of the existing ones do either.

Can't say I've ever seen any plastci bits on the brackets or hoops on
the back of radiators either.

It only makes about 10-15 clonks about 1 a second.

Try giving it a woggle so where it bears on the brackets is changed.
Or if you can get at the bearing points with a long thin stick put a
tiny drop of engine oil on them.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:12:18 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:20:12 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I
don't think any of the existing ones do either.

Can't say I've ever seen any plastci bits on the brackets or hoops on
the back of radiators either.

It only makes about 10-15 clonks about 1 a second.

Try giving it a woggle so where it bears on the brackets is changed.
Or if you can get at the bearing points with a long thin stick put a
tiny drop of engine oil on them.

I have er... woggled it (I think you meant wiggled, I don't have a boy scout to hand) - if that doesn't work I think I can get oil onto them, the brackets are only about 5 inches from the edges as it's a small radiator.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

You can't please everyone. But it IS possible to **** 'em ALL off at the same time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:20:12 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I
don't think any of the existing ones do either.

Can't say I've ever seen any plastci bits on the brackets or hoops on
the back of radiators either.

Mine came with little plastic clip on bits for the bracket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:39:03 -0000, Alan Braggins wrote:

In article o.uk, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:20:12 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I
don't think any of the existing ones do either.

Can't say I've ever seen any plastci bits on the brackets or hoops on
the back of radiators either.

Mine came with little plastic clip on bits for the bracket.

I'm not convinced those would last long with the weight of the radiator and the sharpness of the metal brackets.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

A mistake is evidence that someone has tried to do something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.wa9yhw1tytk5n5@i7-940,
"Lieutenant Scott" writes:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:39:03 -0000, Alan Braggins wrote:

In article o.uk, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:20:12 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The new radiator which came with brackets had no such plastic, and I
don't think any of the existing ones do either.

Can't say I've ever seen any plastci bits on the brackets or hoops on
the back of radiators either.

Mine came with little plastic clip on bits for the bracket.

I'm not convinced those would last long with the weight of the radiator and the sharpness of the metal brackets.

Sometimes the radiator does cut through them - has happened to one of
mine, but the other 8 or so have lasted 10 years so far (or at least,
don't make expansion/contraction noises), and 4 of them are heavy
triple panel radiators. (The ones that's failed is a double.)

--
Andrew Gabriel