Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lockshild on the flow or return?

Hi,

I am replacing my rad with a towel rad, and am just wondering if it matters
which way around the lockshild and TRV go with respect to the flow and
return on a 10mm microbore system (which ISTR have a indvidual flow and
return for each rad?)

I can think of any reason why it would, but stranger things have been
known... It just so happens that the way the towel rad mounts, it would be
more convenient to have the TRV on the opposite side from what it used to
be, and I'd rather not have the hassle of swapping oer the flow and return.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Spoons" wrote

I am replacing my rad with a towel rad, and am just wondering if it
matters which way around the lockshild and TRV go with respect to the flow
and return on a 10mm microbore system (which ISTR have a indvidual flow
and return for each rad?)

The usual consideration is whether the TRV can handle "reverse" flow.
Initially, TRVs were unidirectional and would suffer from noisy and eratic
behaviour if installed incorrectly.
Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.
The above is based on standard 15mm flow/return systems but I would suspect
applies also to 10mm (I thought microbore was smaller - 6mm?)

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheScullster writes

"Mr Spoons" wrote

I am replacing my rad with a towel rad, and am just wondering if it
matters which way around the lockshild and TRV go with respect to the flow
and return on a 10mm microbore system (which ISTR have a indvidual flow
and return for each rad?)

The usual consideration is whether the TRV can handle "reverse" flow.
Initially, TRVs were unidirectional and would suffer from noisy and eratic
behaviour if installed incorrectly.

Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.

That's certainly my view, bear in mind it's flow side if vertical, return side if
horizontal.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article ,
TheScullster writes

Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.

That's certainly my view, bear in mind it's flow side if vertical, return side if
horizontal.

Could you explain that last bit?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:55:27 GMT, Lobster
mused:

fred wrote:
In article ,
TheScullster writes

Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.

That's certainly my view, bear in mind it's flow side if vertical, return side if
horizontal.

Could you explain that last bit?

Orientation of the valve depending on direction of flow through it?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes
fred wrote:
In article ,
TheScullster writes

Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.

That's certainly my view, bear in mind it's flow side if vertical, return side if
horizontal.

Could you explain that last bit?

Sure, with the orientation as described the flow pushes so as to lift the
sealing washer off its seat and as the TRV reaches its set temperature I
think it will close off more smoothly. If it is the other way round then the
flow may tend to close the valve artificially at close-off resulting in
chattering (oscillation). I had chattering on one rad in a system with a high
head and this was what I suspected was happening.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 08:34:33 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Mr Spoons" wrote

I am replacing my rad with a towel rad, and am just wondering if it
matters which way around the lockshild and TRV go with respect to the flow
and return on a 10mm microbore system (which ISTR have a indvidual flow
and return for each rad?)

The usual consideration is whether the TRV can handle "reverse" flow.
Initially, TRVs were unidirectional and would suffer from noisy and eratic
behaviour if installed incorrectly.
Many valves now claim to be bidirectional, but purists will argue that
mechanically they are likely to perform and wear better if installed on the
flow side.
The above is based on standard 15mm flow/return systems but I would suspect
applies also to 10mm (I thought microbore was smaller - 6mm?)

Phil

The other factor to consider is whether the TRV would be in a more
appropriate position regards room temperature if installed on one side
rather than the other.

I would avoid having the TRV tight in a corner or next to a draughty
door.

I have been told that having the feed on the left and the return on
the right of a rad is considered "good practice".
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I have been told that having the feed on the left and the return on
the right of a rad is considered "good practice".
Robert

You haven't been to plumb centre and fallen for the old "take this one it's
a left handed radiator" routine I hope!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 17:19:35 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

wrote

I have been told that having the feed on the left and the return on
the right of a rad is considered "good practice".
Robert

You haven't been to plumb centre and fallen for the old "take this one it's
a left handed radiator" routine I hope!

I avoid Plumb Centre! No seriously a plumber doing some work for/with
me suggested that leftside flow was "accepted practice" at least in
the olden days, and that sticking to a system on all jobs was a good
idea. Another comment was leave all slotted screwheads lined up with
slots vertical .
Robert