Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Reversed flow and return to radiator

Yes a place I use regularly has a radiator like that but its a rushing noise
not a whistle. we call it Hissing Sid.
I know its childish...
Brian

Email:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/03/2012 01:34, Lieutenant Scott wrote:
Someone was telling me that it's important to connect the flow and
return to the right ends of a radiator. But I cannot see a problem in
water running the wrong way.

"The wrong way" would mean water flowing into the radiator through the
balance valve and out through the thermostatic valve, but the radiator
is symmetrical, and the valves are not one way (are they?), so what
would be the problem?

Some TRVs are one way. Some are described as two but work better on the
flow side, and some are fine either way.

The reason this came up is I'm plumbing in a new radiator and I've not
marked which pipe is which that I've threaded out of sight under the
floor. Although I can actually tell which is which as it's HEP pipe with
metre markings on it, I wondered if I really have to know?

Make sure the TRV is a two way one, and it should be ok.

(Some of them begin to whistle a bit as they throttle the flow when on the
return side).

--
Cheers,

John.