Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Batteries for wireless heating controller

Hi there,

Since September we have been running a Vaillant VRC430f Weather
compensator*, it all works very well apart from one thing; it seems to
drain batteries for fun.

The batteries only last a few months before the unit displays a warning,
then the backlight won't come on and then then you can't use the unit at
all but it will continue working in accordance with the last settings. I
haven't let it go further than this. In 7 months, we have used replaced
the 4 x AA batteries, twice. The batteries I am currently using are
Duracell Procell**

Can anyone suggest some better batteries? The manual states that
rechargeable batteries are not suitable although it doesn't say why and
apparently good quality alkaline batteries should last 1.5 years! The
unit was simply set up with a small amount of tweaking in the first few
weeks but after that it is simply left alone (the display turns it self
off completely if it isn't tampered with), the only time it is actually
used is when the heating is required earlier. I have no clue why it's
using batteries so quickly.

*
http://www.vaillant.co.uk/homeowners...-vrc-430f.html

**
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Pro.../dp/B000KHDXLG

Cheers

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 18:37, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

Dunno why it's getting through batteries, butb the reason you can't use
re-chargables is probably that they are usually only 1.2v whereas
alkaline batteries are 1.5v
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

gremlin_95 wrote:
Hi there,

Since September we have been running a Vaillant VRC430f Weather
compensator*, it all works very well apart from one thing; it seems to
drain batteries for fun.

The batteries only last a few months before the unit displays a warning,
then the backlight won't come on and then then you can't use the unit at
all but it will continue working in accordance with the last settings. I
haven't let it go further than this. In 7 months, we have used replaced
the 4 x AA batteries, twice. The batteries I am currently using are
Duracell Procell**

Are you noticing an excessive number of heating on/off cycles? The
controller sends a pulse to the receiver every time something changes,
so the more cycles you have, the less time the batteries will last.

It's also possible you have a rogue unit which has a higher current draw
than the standard for some reason.

Can anyone suggest some better batteries? The manual states that
rechargeable batteries are not suitable although it doesn't say why and
apparently good quality alkaline batteries should last 1.5 years! The
unit was simply set up with a small amount of tweaking in the first few
weeks but after that it is simply left alone (the display turns it self
off completely if it isn't tampered with), the only time it is actually
used is when the heating is required earlier. I have no clue why it's
using batteries so quickly.

One reason for not using rechargeables for this sort of application is
that most AA and AAA cells are NiMh types, which will self discharge
within a couple of months, even when left disconnected. They also start
from a slightly lower terminal voltage than primary alkaline type cells.

It might be worth trying a set of the Duracell Lithium AA cells.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Or that re-chargables self discharge too quickly?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 19:32, John Williamson wrote:

Are you noticing an excessive number of heating on/off cycles? The
controller sends a pulse to the receiver every time something changes,
so the more cycles you have, the less time the batteries will last.

It's also possible you have a rogue unit which has a higher current
draw than the standard for some reason.

One reason for not using rechargeables for this sort of application is
that most AA and AAA cells are NiMh types, which will self discharge
within a couple of months, even when left disconnected. They also
start from a slightly lower terminal voltage than primary alkaline
type cells.

It might be worth trying a set of the Duracell Lithium AA cells.

Thanks for that, there isn't really excessive cycling but I know the
controller is constantly sending signals to the boiler to knock down or
increase the flow temperature especially during the initial warm up
time. There is a red light on the fascia on the boiler which flashes
when communicating with the controller. I guess I could phone Vaillant
though I am not sure they will be interested.

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Dunno why it's getting through batteries, butb the reason you can't
use re-chargables is probably that they are usually only 1.2v whereas
alkaline batteries are 1.5v

Or that re-chargables self discharge too quickly?

never heard of Eneloop ?

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 20:04, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

I think it would be a very useful test of their tech support...

(especially for those of us thinking of installing a Vaillant shortly ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

No mention of capacity, or number of recharge cycles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 22:34, John Rumm wrote:

I think it would be a very useful test of their tech support...

(especially for those of us thinking of installing a Vaillant shortly ;-)

Ahh, previous experience hasn't exactly been positive unfortunately.
Phone is answered fairly quickly and is a standard rate number but I
didn't have any confidence in what I was being told; I wanted to know
what control strategy to set the VRC430f to use, I was told the which
one to use in the end but no explanation of what it actually means or
does so I had to experiment in my own time and see the difference.
Emails were initially replied to within 24 hours but a follow up took
over 5 days

If you are considering a Vaillant, be aware that the current Ecotec
range is being replaced with a new range next month. I would either get
one now or wait till the new range has proven it self for a while! The
current range is excellent now as all the initial problems such as
rubber hoses, pressure sensors, pumps etc are all sorted out.

http://www.vaillant-vip.co.uk/

Our Vaillant has been in over 3 years now though and hasn't missed a beat

--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Dunno why it's getting through batteries, butb the reason you can't
use re-chargables is probably that they are usually only 1.2v whereas
alkaline batteries are 1.5v

Or that re-chargables self discharge too quickly?

never heard of Eneloop ?

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

The prices look very good. However, unless I've missed it, there's no
sign of any capacity ratings (which seems strange).
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 22:55, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mark writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Dunno why it's getting through batteries, butb the reason you can't
use re-chargables is probably that they are usually only 1.2v whereas
alkaline batteries are 1.5v

Or that re-chargables self discharge too quickly?

never heard of Eneloop ?

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

The prices look very good. However, unless I've missed it, there's no
sign of any capacity ratings (which seems strange).

Try some Energizer Lithium Batteries, they are expensive, around £8 quid
for a pack of 4 but they do last longer. Really good for digital cameras.

Failing that, whats to stop you from running a mails wall wart and
feeding 3 volts via twin bell wire to the programmable room thermostats?

Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote
Roger Mills wrote
gremlin_95 wrote

[...]

Not anymore, there are plenty that dont now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mark writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

Dunno why it's getting through batteries, butb the reason you can't
use re-chargables is probably that they are usually only 1.2v whereas
alkaline batteries are 1.5v

Or that re-chargables self discharge too quickly?

never heard of Eneloop ?

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

The prices look very good. However, unless I've missed it, there's no
sign of any capacity ratings (which seems strange).

in nearly all cases I have found the dry cell to be better than a
rechargeable, capacity wise. Just crap on high discharges
..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Mark wrote:

and you can now get 1.5volt Rechargeable Alkaline, but not tried them as
yet.
https://www.pureenergydistribution.com/

No mention of capacity, or number of recharge cycles.

The seller on Amazon claims 500 re-charge cycles if not fully discharged,
ordinary Alkaline cells dont normally have their capacity stated.
as i said have not tried them and not recommending them just that they may
be useful in a situation like the OP where a 1.5v cell are needed.

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2012 22:53, gremlin_95 wrote:
[...]

Yes good point... wonder if that means the current range will get
discounted a bit to clear stocks?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:53:04 +0000, gremlin_95 wrote:

Our Vaillant has been in over 3 years now though and hasn't missed a
beat

I should think not! Change the 3 to 10 would be better and 15 good.
What is it with boilers and people these days were a break down is
expected within 3 years and replacement after 5?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:37:32 +0000, gremlin_95
wrote:

[...]

If you need the ultimate capacity in primary cell AA's or AAA's then
Energizer Lithiums are the answer - they are really expensive though!

http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf

British Gas UP2 heating controller - manual? Phil B[_2_] UK diy 12 May 3rd 18 01:33 PM
Old Heating Controller Replacement Thomarse UK diy 3 November 7th 06 08:52 AM
FF/FS: Hot water cylinder+immersion, heating pump, 7-day heating controller Jonathan Larmour UK diy 18 August 22nd 05 03:05 PM
Central Heating Controller Carl UK diy 12 December 3rd 04 11:09 AM