Carl

Default Central Heating Controller

Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Any help - I am stuck here!!!

Thanks in advance!
raden

In message , Carl
writes
Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Was one set to gravity and the other to pumped ?

If you'd mentioned the controller make and model, it might have been
possible to give some better advice

--
geoff
Carl

raden wrote in message ...
In message , Carl
writes
Hi all, I am deperate for some help - my controller for my CH and HW
was damaged during some building works. I have bought an identical
controller and fitted exactly as it was but it will only turn on the
boiler for HW.

If I bypass the controller and connect the HW wire and CH wire to the
live - I have both HW and CH fine. But if I connect just the CH to
the live I get nothing??

Was one set to gravity and the other to pumped ?

If you'd mentioned the controller make and model, it might have been
possible to give some better advice

Its a hortsmann/newlec h51 channel if this helps
mike ring

(Carl) wrote in
om:

If it is my 3 port valve (how do I know if I have one)?? How do I
locate it??
etc etc.

Any help appreciated!

Carl

It's between the boiler and the HW cylinder, a T shaped fitting, (3
pipes, 3 ports, geddit)

One pie from the boiler, one to the side of the cylinder, and one goes
off to the rads.......

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLMP3.html for a picture.

Your accident is not likely to have caused damage, except maybe to the 3
prt valve, which we suspect anyhow, as the pump and boiler still
function.

The central heating will work, in one scenario, because the cylinder is
calling for heat, and that fires the boiler and pump regardless, and
takes the CH with it if the room stat is operating, but if *only* the
room stat is calling for heat, the boiler is called indirectly via a
microswitch on the 3 port valve, and this is where the failure is.

Some wiring diagrams here; http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/wiring.htm

Check out Y plan in particular

It's important that you find out if your system is fully pumped, or
gravity HW, for the assembled team of experts ;-) to help.

mike

Carl

wrote in message roups.com...
mike ring wrote:
[...]

It is fully pumped system. I have had a look at the 3 port valve and
the manual open switch is just very loose and after taking the cover
off, it does not do anything if you move the switch. There is also a
paddle position indicator A, B or in the middle (A is cylinder B is
Rads) the paddle remains in the middle position.

Can I repair or do anything to the 3port valve? (by the way it is a
Landis and Staefa MAV-322)

Any help appreciated.

Carl
Carl

[...]