Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is this Aldis selling snake oil ?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce limescale
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce timescale

They must have been taking dribble's advice.

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce timescale

They must have been taking dribble's advice.

He bought two of them:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce timescale

They must have been taking dribble's advice.

He bought two of them:-)

I did, together with the anti-elephant powder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce timescale

They must have been taking dribble's advice.

Oh look! A plantpot!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:53:26 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce limescale

Heh. I saw that, but Aldi will sell any ****e for the gullible, along
with the good stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce limescale

Heh. I saw that, but Aldi will sell any ****e for the gullible, along
with the good stuff.

I get their special offers emails, and can't say I've noticed this sort of
thing before.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/02/2012 08:53, robgraham wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_23428.htm

Plastic ball containing a magnet and claiming to reduce limescale

It's dangerous to make assumption that any item is snake oil just
because we're not sure of the mechanism, assuming it works of course.
Personally I'd prefer to keep an open mind and look things up rather
than dismiss such a device.

For starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

and a peer reviewed paper:
http://www.ecaa.ntu.edu.tw/weifang/w...0treatment.pdf

I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

How did those who thought the earth to be flat explain ships disappearing
gradually over the horizon? And that if they climbed a hill near the shore
they could see enemy ships etc sooner? What possible reason could there be
other than the sea being curved?

--
*How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

How did those who thought the earth to be flat explain ships disappearing
gradually over the horizon? And that if they climbed a hill near the shore
they could see enemy ships etc sooner? What possible reason could there be
other than the sea being curved?

How do you know that in the distant past people weren't frightened of
falling off the edge?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
In ,
wrote:
I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

How did those who thought the earth to be flat explain ships disappearing
gradually over the horizon? And that if they climbed a hill near the
shore
they could see enemy ships etc sooner? What possible reason could
there be
other than the sea being curved?

How do you know that in the distant past people weren't frightened of
falling off the edge?

it was common knowledge that the earth was round since the year dot
amnongst anyone who sailed a ship - that being a large expanse of
relative flatness featuring a horizon over which ships could be seen to
disappear from the bottom upwards. Hence 'hull down'

The fact you could see more ship from higher up the mast further proved
the point.

Either light didn't travel in straight lines or the earth was curved. In
fact the two are somewhat indistinguishable IIRC ..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Either light didn't travel in straight lines or the earth was curved. In
fact the two are somewhat indistinguishable IIRC ..

Well we know light doesn't travel in straight lines so I guess the earth is
flat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

How did those who thought the earth to be flat explain ships disappearing
gradually over the horizon?

Yes, along with diesel cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:
I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

How did those who thought the earth to be flat explain ships disappearing
gradually over the horizon?

As member of the flat earth society, where do you think these ships and
diesel cars went?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:44:42 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

It's dangerous to make assumption that any item is snake oil just
because we're not sure of the mechanism, assuming it works of course.
Personally I'd prefer to keep an open mind and look things up rather
than dismiss such a device.

For starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

and a peer reviewed paper:
http://www.ecaa.ntu.edu.tw/weifang/w...0treatment.pdf

I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

I **** gold out of my ears.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2012 23:42, wrote:
On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:44:42 +0000, wrote:

It's dangerous to make assumption that any item is snake oil just
because we're not sure of the mechanism, assuming it works of course.
Personally I'd prefer to keep an open mind and look things up rather
than dismiss such a device.

For starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

and a peer reviewed paper:
http://www.ecaa.ntu.edu.tw/weifang/w...0treatment.pdf

I suspect there were many learned people who ridiculed the Earth being
spherical in the not so long distant past!

I **** gold out of my ears.

I can assure you its unlikely to be gold.

Snake Oil? The Medway Handyman UK diy 51 April 10th 11 10:27 PM
Aldis this Sunday robgraham UK diy 10 May 7th 10 10:34 PM
Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM
Aldis Bench Drill The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 23 June 5th 06 12:53 AM